February Reads! Winter Is Here!

Ghjhero

SO don't call your work historical fiction and list a bunch of secondary sources at the end of your novel.

It's clearly historical fiction. Fiction as in "work that deals, in part or in whole, with information or events that are not real, but rather, work that deals, in part or in whole, with information or events that are not real, but rather, imaginary and theoretical." (Wiki)

Oh please, if I wrote a book where robocop travels back in time to save Jesus from Cleopatra and labeled it historical fiction pretty sure some people would take issue with it.

Edit: OK, Sorry I am being a dick tonight. Stupid program due soon is not compiling.

One of my pet peeves is when people pass off gross historical inacuracies in historical fiction by bringing up the "well, its fiction" argument. Particulary in cases were they claim to have done research, but, to be fair, noting Gregory has ever done will compare to those Gates of Rome books by guy whose name I can;t remeber that sounds like Iggudun? Anyway. Back to this program. Grr,

Edit 2: AND NOW ITS WORKING! HORRAY FOR PEACE AND LOVE!

With regard to historical fiction, I think it's down to the reader to make their own decision. I tend to do a bit of research on things given as "fact", and I like to think that I'm not stupid enough to take everything I read in a historical fiction novel as gospel. Gregory's flaws aside, she writes a good yarn and I enjoy her writing style.

3 of my new books turned up today. I got The Help by Kathryn Stockett, The Unseen by Katherine Webb and Affinity by Sarah Waters. Burial Rites by Hannah Kent is also on its way, which looks really intriguing.

Since my last post...

I finished The Bohemians: Mark Twain and the San Francisco Writers who Reinvented American Literature by Ben Tarnoff, in all honesty my view of the book turned from good to annoyance after finishing it when I did research on the three other writers referenced in the subtitle (Bret Harte, Charles Warren Stoddard, and Ina Coolbrith). The majority of the text was mostly featured Twain and Harte which if the author would have focused on their rivalry as they brought the literary tradition of the West Coast (and the West in general) into the Eastern establishment (basically New England) then the book would have been very good. However Tarnoff's inclusion of Stoddard and Coolbrith comes off as being due to sexual orientation and gender while ignoring their own literary accomplishments especially in the case of Coolbrith.

I started The Portable Greek Historians featuring selections from Herodotus, Thucydides, Xenophon, and Polybius. I skimmed through this book during college in preparation for my Senior Oral Exam, So now all these years latter I decided to give it a thorough reading.

In my reading of The Complete Works of William Shakespeare I finished Titus Andronicus since my last post on this subject and this is basically my reaction after finishing the play...WTF did I just read? I read like a screenplay for a bad horror film, the only character that was entertaining was Aaron and Act V was the best part of the play but that isn't saying much. I'm currently reading Richard III.

In my reading of The Bible I finished the books of Joshua, Judges, and Ruth since my last post. I've just started 1 Samuel last night.

I'm not loving Peter F Hamilton but did not suspect I would.

I've been listening to The Satanic Verses on audiobook now for several weeks and some parts are really attention grabbing and some parts can barely keep my attention. It's interesting how absorbing a story changes when you can neither slow it down nor skim. I'm a little tired of Rushdies nudge nudge style. It can get like the literary equivalent of OH NO HE DI'INT!

I finished A Dirty Job. I liked it, although much of the ending was very telegraphed, there was one twist that genuinely took me by surprise. I like Moore's whimsical writing style and there were several parts that made me laugh out loud. Not sure I'll have much to say about it for my book club, but it was a good read.

Not sure what is up next for me. I too am thinking about Colleen McCullough's Rome series, but maybe some Guy Gavriel Kay first. Hm. Decisions!

That was one comprehensive book on world maritime history. The Sea and Civilization: A Martime History of the World by Lincoln Paine covered every culture and people from when mankind took to the waters in the stone age to present day. Heck, even the kayaks of the Inuit got a paragraph! I really filled in my lack of knowledge of the Indian Ocean, SE Asia and Chinese maritime history. Highly recommended for those who want to know more of world maritime history.

I want something quick and light, so Veronica Roth's Insurgent is next. Divergent was just OK and I just want to see where the plot is going even though I don't care for any of the characters.

I finished A Dirty Job. I liked it, although much of the ending was very telegraphed, there was one twist that genuinely took me by surprise. I like Moore's whimsical writing style and there were several parts that made me laugh out loud. Not sure I'll have much to say about it for my book club, but it was a good read.

Not sure what is up next for me. I too am thinking about Colleen McCullough's Rome series, but maybe some Guy Gavriel Kay first. Hm. Decisions!

Do you like Kay a lot? Usually I feel like we have thr same tastes or at least thinks the same books would be worth reading, but Lions was a painful experience.

I've been stuck for the past few days, after reading 5 books in January, I stalled and haven't read anything for the past couple of weeks. Managed to read about 200 pages or so of GOT, might finish that and move on.

I'm eagerly awaiting your thoughts.

So far I'm enjoying it a lot. I'm only about 33% of the way through. It feels very old-fashioned -- in a good way. Some of the plotting is a little too convenient for my taste, but that's a small thing. I'll be getting back to it in about five minutes and I find I'm really looking forward to it :)

So far I'm enjoying it a lot. I'm only about 33% of the way through. It feels very old-fashioned -- in a good way. Some of the plotting is a little too convenient for my taste, but that's a small thing. I'll be getting back to it in about five minutes and I find I'm really looking forward to it :)

Awesome news. It gets better as you get further into it. Reminded me of a Dunnett book actually, in that there was a lot of set up early and then it just takes off where I couldn't put it down while still maintaining the descriptions of time period very well.

i've been dragging so much ass on reading so far this year. i've read one lonely book, old man's war, which i thought was brilliant. i'm currently trying to finish off raylan by elmore leonard. its super choppy and i feel like a third grader reading it but it has enough of justified in it to keep me going.

I read several things during my winter holiday from school. Most of it guiltly pleasures:

WrestleCrap: The Very Worst of Pro Wrestling by Baer and Reynolds

Hitman: My Real Life in the Cartoon World of Wrestling by Bret Hart

Bobby the Brain by Bob Heenan

Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead (read the first 3)

Other, more reputable reads:

Almost Dead by Charlie Huston. Unfortunately, I didn't like this one and had to force myself to finish it. It just felt too much like a Dresdan Files book, and I personally prefer Butcher's writing style over Huston's.

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. I was disappointed by this one as well. Overall, my enjoyment of the world building and the character development of Hiro, YT, Raven, and Fido the Rat Thing was overshadowed by the annoyances of the main plot points -- the drug snow crash, the history of Sumerian culture presented as numerous info dumps from the Liberian, and the boring climactic battle scene.

Archived