February Reads! Winter Is Here!

Ghjhero

Going to start Traitor's Blade (Greatcoats #1) by Sebastien de Castell later today.Lot's of positive reviews,hopefully it's good.

Finished it last night. It was pretty fun. Not sure it isn't being a bit over prased a bit in early reviews though, a bit inconsistant in the middle. But for sure a book I enjoyed.

The Iron Jackal by Chris Wooding was a fun read, very enjoyable. Looking forward to reading the next one at some point.

The Prisoner of Heaven by Carlos Ruiz Zafon was good, but not as good as I hoped it would be. It didn't give off the same vibe as the previous two books. Well written, of course, but not quite as good.

Next up is Emperor of Thorns by Mark Lawrence.

Going to start Traitor's Blade (Greatcoats #1) by Sebastien de Castell later today.Lot's of positive reviews,hopefully it's good.

Finished it last night. It was pretty fun. Not sure it isn't being a bit over prased a bit in early reviews though, a bit inconsistant in the middle. But for sure a book I enjoyed.

This book looks promising, but it isn't out yet! What kind of sorcery is this?

My copy of Precursor by CJ Cherryh finally came in the mail, so I guess that's next for me. (There was no ebook available so I had to buy a used copy. So annoyed!)

Do you like Kay a lot? Usually I feel like we have thr same tastes or at least thinks the same books would be worth reading, but Lions was a painful experience.

I've only read Under Heaven and Last Light of the Sun. I really liked Under Heaven (I think--I don't remember it very well but I gave it 5/5 stars on Goodreads) and so I wanted to try some of his other stuff. What was so rough about Lions?

Started and finished COME CLOSER by Sara Gran this afternoon. I usually don't speed through books, but this one was short, straightforward, and lacked any crunch. It is a mediocre novel and would be even if the book's impact wasn't diminished by the glut of possession films that have been released since it was published ten years ago.

Finished it today morning,a page-turning quick read and an enjoyable swashbuckling low-fantasy adventure,i enjoyed this one a lot,will def. be reading book 2. :thumbsup:

The UK edition ebook was released on 10 Feb,that's what i bought. ;)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Traitors-Blade-Greatcoats-Sebastien-Castell-ebook/dp/B00HEG6UGG/

Penguin Canada will publish on March 4 - http://www.amazon.ca/Traitors-Blade-Sebastien-De-Castell/dp/0143188739/

Jo Fletcher Books will publish the US edition on July 1 - http://www.amazon.com/Traitors-Blade-Sebastien-Castell/dp/1623658098/

I finished The Heroes early in the month and have started Lyonesse by Jack Vance. I'm a hundred pages in and so far I'm finding it a slough to get through.

Lyonesse is a mood thing more than anything else. If you're not feeling the love after 100 pages or so, I'd be surprised if you grow to like it.

Stayed up to finish The Unseen last night, I just couldn't put it down. One of the best books I've read in a while, thoroughly enjoyed it.

Started The Help by Kathryn Stockett this morning, been looking forward to this for a while, and it's definitely living up to the hype so far.

For some reason instead of picking up Iron Council I instead just grabbed Perdido Street Station for a reread. Not sure why I keep chickening out on reading that third book, the first two are awesome. Oh look, a peacock colored grub!

I finished Sand by Hugh Howey last night. I liked it, but didn't love it. I lost interest for most of the final third of the book, but the ending redeemed that quite a bit. I liked the ending, even though it was pretty well telegraphed.

I've started Steelheart by Sanderson now. After reading mostly post-apocalyptic and KJ Parker this month, I need something light.

I ran into this a bit when I first joined the forum. And though others have answered I will add to it.

-Bloggers on forum. Often get the books a bit early.

-People from across the ocean from me - Still waiting on Iron Jackal over here (though that date is coming soon). So many times I put a book on my list only to see it is a UK only release atm.

-People buying from Book Deposatory - They ship UK books to the US, I have been told shipping is free? Never looked into it.

-Goodreads and Librarything (maybe Booklikes?) - Often have giveaways, and while you have to dig through the junk to find them, often publishers give out a few arcs to get early buzz going.

Insurgent by Veronica Roth was OK. I had to suspend my belief for the majority of the book. I found it a bleak novel for YA as there is torture, lots of character deaths and abundant violence which I'm not a fan of in any shape or format. I did like how the characters coped with tragedy and violence, as it felt realistic to me.

Now started The Weavers of Saramyr by Chris Wooding. I loved his Tales of the Ketty Jay, so I'm curious as to how he does epic fantasy.

I've only read Under Heaven and Last Light of the Sun. I really liked Under Heaven (I think--I don't remember it very well but I gave it 5/5 stars on Goodreads) and so I wanted to try some of his other stuff. What was so rough about Lions?

The unconcealed adoration for the characters. Each good guy is more awesome than the last. And better looking. And a better fighter. And then they all have a circle jerk. Until they become tragic. And then each one is more tragic than the last. It was tiring. I understand from what others have said that Kay always tends this way but some of his other books aren't as in your face with it as Lions.

Insurgent by Veronica Roth was OK. I had to suspend my belief for the majority of the book. I found it a bleak novel for YA as there is torture, lots of character deaths and abundant violence which I'm not a fan of in any shape or format. I did like how the characters coped with tragedy and violence, as it felt realistic to me.

Now started The Weavers of Saramyr by Chris Wooding. I loved his Tales of the Ketty Jay, so I'm curious as to how he does epic fantasy.

If you don't like torture, character deaths and violence you might not like The Weavers of Saramyr as much as Wooding's later books. I thought it was a good episode fantasy trilogy, but it's a pretty grim story.

I finished Sand by Hugh Howey last night. I liked it, but didn't love it. I lost interest for most of the final third of the book, but the ending redeemed that quite a bit. I liked the ending, even though it was pretty well telegraphed.

Does it have a conclusive ending? I've seen Sand getting a fair bit of praise but I'm wary of Howey's series after how disappointing the sequels to Wool were.

Archived