New Queen.. Cersie's Prophecy..?

Usman Mir

Sansa, Brieene, or Margery: I think Sansa because after wanting it as a child then learning it's not really worth it as fate would have it she ends up with it.

Margery because she's existing Queen.

Brieene, because inner beauty does count in stories and life

All 3 have taken someone or something from Cersei already: Margery has Tommen and can control him,and she may have had a hand in taking Joffery.

Sansa like Margery is beautiful and young she had a role in the death of Joffery,because of his promise to Catelyn Jamie is looking for Sansa and Arya and because of this meets up with Brieene and through her learning what true honor and Knighthood really is.

Brieene unlike Marg and Sansa isn't outwardly beautiful but inside is the truest of Knights that Sansa thinks of and Jamie wants to be.

who would I like Sansa, but I like Brieene also, I don't think Margery or house Tyrrell should be rewarded for the way they treated Sansa went they got trumpt by Tywin.

This was harder to type out on my nexus tablet then I thought.

The thing that annoys me with this prophecy is that people say Cersei will be overthrown by a younger Queen, when Maggy doesn't even mention the word "queen". It could be any woman younger than Cersei who will take everything away from Cersei, I think it'll be Sansa.

Interesting, it really does not say another "Queen" for sure but considering the context it is implied that the other will also be a Queen because lets just see it technically, although the claim of Tommen or Joffrey could be challenged by all other claimants as they are not Robert's children but Cersie truly is the Queen as she was wed to King Robert which makes her claim / right to be called as the Queen so if we take into account the words of the Maegi I think she means another Queen.

But as it is GRRM's writing we cannot rule out another person's and not entirely probable that the another is not a queen.

It doesn't say "Queen", it says "another, younger and more beautiful." That means it could mean anyone, hell even Hot Pie, could be the one to take Cersei down. My choice would be Margaery as she's already killed Joffery, won over Tommen, her arrest indirectly lead to Cersei's WoS which spelt the end of her power.

Another would be Arriane, if she marries Aegon. Myrcella seems very fond of her and was persuaded to lie to Swann because of her.

Brienne being unbelievably beautiful as far as inner beauty goes and already taken away Jaime, would be a third.

My personal choice would be Arya, after she comes back from Bravvos. She's growing more and more beautiful as she grows and is said to look like Lyanna, an acknowledged beauty. Also, I'd love to see Arya cross out another name from her list. But it seems too unlikely as their paths are diverging too greatly at this point and there's very little chance of them meeting. I think this is also the problem for Sansa.

My choice would be Margaery as she's already killed Joffery, won over Tommen, her arrest indirectly lead to Cersei's WoS which spelt the end of her power.

Dont be so sure about it. I think Joffrey died from the poisoned pie which Cersei intended to kill Tyrion with. And Tyrion the fool spilled that wine in the chalice, which was the only evidence that can prove his innocence. The wine was not poisoned by Margaery at that time.

Even if she does get acquitted, she will be tainted and will not be a maiden and since the marriage has not been consummated by Tommen he will easily put her aside.

I just have the feeling, that Margaery won't be a player for much longer, even if she's acquitted, (I think Cersei might bribe the jury.) Cersei will still try to get at her in some other way. Besides, Tommen isn't long for this world and once he dies, Margaery will have no claim to be Queen, since she isn't bearing any heirs-which is why Cersei remained Queen Regent.

I am quite sure that it is Sansa. This prophecy is heavily based on the fairy tale Snow White and while Sansa is a deconstruction of the classical princess trope her arc, ironically, has quite the fairy tale elements in it.

Do not forget that Martin said that several will sit the Iron Throne before the end. So the one who fulfills the prophecy and "takes it all" from Cersei may easily be dead the next day and replaced by whomever.

Do not forget that Martin said that several will sit the Iron Throne before the end. So the one who fulfills the prophecy and "takes it all" from Cersei may easily be dead the next day and replaced by whomever.

True that. Margaey/Arianne/or Dany could easily replace Cersei, then later die themselves paving the way for Jon-or whoever the hell the ultimate winner of the IT will be. Could be Shireen for all we know, or Dany might have a child after all...

I think it's going to be Dany. She's supposed to be incredibly beautiful and would GRRM really be building up her arrival in Westeros for this long to have her fail? I know anything is possible with him, but I still think the endgame is her ruling on the Iron Thrones, a full circle situation back to a Targaryen reign.

Dont be so sure about it. I think Joffrey died from the poisoned pie which Cersei intended to kill Tyrion with. And Tyrion the fool spilled that wine in the chalice, which was the only evidence that can prove his innocence. The wine was not poisoned by Margaery at that time.

There's a trail of evidence a mile wide that the wine was poisoned and killed Joffrey. You really have to be in denial to deny what's there. The only link to the pie is that he was eating it before he started choking, and he was drinking the wine at the same time.

I don't normally do that, but in the realms of silly crackpottery (or not so much):

The Queen of Thorns - she has already started. She is not younger or more beautiful, but by the time of the prophecy she might have been, and we know prophecies are tricky. And she was married (or was it betrothed) to a Targ prince?

Arya - she is developing to be beautiful. And is younger. Ot Arya with another woman's face.

Jeyne Westerling (well, probably not).

Asha Greyjoy.

Otherwise in all seriousness, all that have been discussed up till now are possibilities.

This is highly unlikely but it would be ironic if it turned out to be Arya- a more mature Arya, who looks like her Aunt.

"what harm could Lyanna Stark's ghost do either of us"

Lyanna has pretty much been Cersei's bane in terms of her marriage with Robert and crush on Rhaegar- both men found Lyanna more desirable and beautiful than Cersei. She was their intended Queen, not Cersei.

However, again this is highly unlikely as Arya still needs to mature more and I can't see her arc taking this direction.

But still 'Lyanna Stark's ghost' (Arya) would have been great!

I've already said that, imo, the prophecy was fulfilled already with Lyanna as the "another". Not only was she loved by the two men Cersei would have wanted to love her but as soon as Robert mentioned her, she went batshit crazy and caused her own doom by keep on cheating on her husband with her brother and not giving him one single heir.

I compiled a pretty definitive list of all the possible candidates, named and unnamed: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/93920-compiling-the-younger-more-beautiful-queens/ .

My personal favorite is Jeyne Westerling, though if I absolutely had to guess, I'd say Myrcella.

PS) What does Cersei hold most dear? If I were to be poetic about it, I'd say the lies she herself believes.

It doesn't say "Queen", it says "another, younger and more beautiful." That means it could mean anyone, hell even Hot Pie, could be the one to take Cersei down. My choice would be Margaery as she's already killed Joffery, won over Tommen, her arrest indirectly lead to Cersei's WoS which spelt the end of her power.

Another would be Arriane, if she marries Aegon. Myrcella seems very fond of her and was persuaded to lie to Swann because of her.

Brienne being unbelievably beautiful as far as inner beauty goes and already taken away Jaime, would be a third.

My personal choice would be Arya, after she comes back from Bravvos. She's growing more and more beautiful as she grows and is said to look like Lyanna, an acknowledged beauty. Also, I'd love to see Arya cross out another name from her list. But it seems too unlikely as their paths are diverging too greatly at this point and there's very little chance of them meeting. I think this is also the problem for Sansa.

It absolutely does say queen, in the very same sentence in which Maggy says "another."

Look, I might say, "Adam went to the store today, he bought a new dinette set." Obviously, Adam bought a dinette set. However, some annoying person might say we don't KNOW if Adam bought the dinette set, it could be any male since "he" doesn't necessarily refer back to "Adam." By the strictest interpretation of grammar rules, this smart alack would be right, but language doesn't work that way, can't work that way.

Bad communication is bad writing.

Thanks for the link Petry. Made for good reading.

I would discount Jeyne Westerling, because, they wouldn't have changed her so much on the show, (and killed her off) if she was going to remain a player.

And since the prophecy predicts Myrcella's death as well, I have to cross her off as well.

But the rest of your analysis was spot on. Especially on why Sansa would be the most satisfying choice to cast down Cersei, though her path to doing so isn't clear.

Well Maxkim, that would certainly add a new wrinkle to why Margaery is being fleshed out so much more on the show. She could go for a fourth marriage to either fAegon or Jon...or even Stannis if he becomes a widower. (Nobody's gonna mourn Selsye...)

I am starting to tentatively lean that way myself, Queen Sansa Stark, for a variety of reasons. The original fairy tales were exceedingly dark indeed, and there does seem to be some foreshadowing for Sansa being Queen with Tyrion noting at Joffrey's wedding that Sansa would have been a very good queen and even better wife to Joffrey. Also as I said, while Sansa has the noble blood and proper temperament to be Queen Consort, she no longer wants the job-(and is indeed the only plausible candidate for Queen who doesn't want to be one) which is why it would doubly suit GRRM's sense of irony to later give it to her.

But I underlined tentatively, because;

A. In ASOIAF, almost nothing can be taken for granted-and for all we know GRRM might just kill Sansa off in the next book in that much rumored 'controversial' chapter-or have the IT go to someone completely unexpected-maybe even someone we haven't met, just for the hell of it.

B. Right now I don't see exactly how Sansa would end up Queen-or go anywhere Cersei again. I'm not saying it couldn't happen but events would have to play out in a very wild and unexpected fashion indeed.

I can easily see how Sansa would go anywhere near Cersei again - definitely not of her own volition. Cersei put a price on Sansa Stark; for her to be brought to King's Landing for questioning/trial/execution. Isn't the Mad Mouse looking to get that price by finding Sansa and taking her to Cersei? And isn't the Mad Mouse in the Vale now, in Littlefinger's service, perfectly positioned to discover Sansa Stark in the guise of Alayne Stone and take her back to King's Landing by force? (in which case, Sansa will either be tortured and executed, or just threatened until Aegon or someone crashes Cersei's party and frees her) If Aegon isn't married yet, perhaps he decides that Sansa should be his new queen; and they'll reign in the Red Keep for a few months before Winter and/or Daenerys defeat them.

I think all the signs point to Sansa being the 'younger, more beautiful' woman mentioned in the prophecy; but I don't claim any certainty...

Bad communication is bad writing.

It's not "bad communication," it's prophecy. It's wordplay, in a description that already has at least some wordplay going on (does golden crowns mean literal crowns, or Lannister hair, or both?). It's not meant to be easily understood and it could have more than one acceptable meaning. That doesn't make it "bad communication."

Thanks for the link Petry. Made for good reading.

I would discount Jeyne Westerling, because, they wouldn't have changed her so much on the show, (and killed her off) if she was going to remain a player.

The reason I keep her in mind is a) she is Maggy the Frog's great grand-daughter (give or take a great), and b ) the show is not the book and Martin has said Jeyne will reapear. Considering the show's unwillingness to "do prophecy" (and for reasons I understand and am not complaining about), I doubt they will use Maggy the Frog's prophecy. Considering how it isn't clear "what" Cersei holds dear, and how exactly a younger queen is going to "cast her down" and take it, I think Jeyne is still very much in play. A dark horse candidate, to be sure.

And since the prophecy predicts Myrcella's death as well, I have to cross her off as well.

But the rest of your analysis was spot on. Especially on why Sansa would be the most satisfying choice to cast down Cersei, though her path to doing so isn't clear.

The prophecy implies that all her children will be "monarchs" and will die as monarchs. It is less clear that Cersei will outlive all three, but if so, it seems reasonable to me that Myrcella will become queen before Cersei's loses "all that she holds dear," or rather in time to be the one who takes "all she holds dear."

I sort of base this on my "great peaceful compromise" that gives Aegon the Maybe the Iron Throne, a theory I've kicked around a few threads.

Should Tommen die as prophecized, Myrcella becomes queen. If this happens after Arianne (and by extension Dorne) declares for Aegon, this is really awkward for all parties. Hence, some great negotiator decides to make a deal. Aegon agrees to wed Margaery, placating the Tyrells. Myrcella agrees to abdicate in exchange for Casterly Rock, which considering her bethrothal to Trystane Martell also please Dorne.

Myrcella by making this deal would be denying Cersei her Regency, her desire to place one of her children on the throne, Casterly Rock, and undoubtedly other things.

Archived