Pink Shirt Day (formerly Don't put yourself down)

Fragile Bird

Recycling again! February 25th was Pink Day in Canada, and today, April 8th, is International Pink day.

Wear Pink today as a protest against bullying!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recycling is good, right? :D

I know I opened a Pink Shirt Day thread before, which seems to have vanished in the mists, but I did open this thread last year to talk about positive attitudes, so I have hijacked it for Pink Shirt Day.

Pink Shirt Day started in Canada a few years ago in response to a grade 9 male student being bullied for wearing a pink shirt to school. Two other students took it upon themselves to go out and buy a stack of pink t-shirts and hand them out as a protest against bullying and as support for their fellow student.

Today is Pink Shirt Day. Wear a pink shirt, if you have one, as a protest against bullying. :)

And I really need to bookmark this to remember next year...

...........................................................................................

The topic of not putting yourself down has come up several times in the last few weeks among Westerosi folk, both here and on facebook. One person made a comment about hearing too many people saying things like, I'm not very good at that, or I'm not very pretty but..., or Maybe my opinion isn't worth much...

And threads where people have said they know they look horrible, or where someone is worried they will saying bad things about themselves by taking a certain job.

Yesterday was pink shirt day and I didn't do a thread or a big thing about it this year, but while it's bad enough when people bully you, it's also bad when you knock your own self down. Maybe we need to start a Green Shirt Day, green for hope and good things, to encourage folk to be positive.

How about giving out some positive vibes everybody!

<<<<<<<sends out rays of positivity>>>>>>>

Thank you Birdie!

I think we often see our own faults too clearly, and exaggerate them in our own minds.

Its good to know they are there, but I think when we bring them out in the open, with our friends here, we get a better perspective, and often good advice on how to deal/cope/minimize/manage.

Green is my favourite colour, don't hate :P

Though, I must admit, I don't own a lot of green clothing.

I always have a good supply of green shirts as green is my favourite colour and it is so hard to find green pants to match. :cool4:

As to the original point, people putting themselves down makes me sad as it usually due to a lack of self-esteem, something I can understand.

I don't get self hate. Doesn't make any sense. You're the only person you can ever truly count on. If you can't treat yourself right how can you expect anyone else to?

I'm so awesome it hurts. Smart, talented, handsome. You guys are pretty awesome too. Not as awesome as me though.

I don't get self hate. Doesn't make any sense. You're the only person you can ever truly count on. If you can't treat yourself right how can you expect anyone else to?

I'm so awesome it hurts. Smart, talented, handsome. You guys are pretty awesome too. Not as awesome as me though.

Haha I love these replies :P

I was told a few times recently that I am too self-critical. Notably the comments were from the people who have only just met me two or three days before. It must be a prominent feature of me. :dunno:

Ehhhh ... you do not. You read insult in everything they say to you and expect them to think the worst of you. :dunno:

Archived