New Trailer Coming

Westeros

Rickon of the North, several points:

1) Give me a lot of money and a good cast and I reckon I could do a better job than D&D, and that's not even me being arrogant.

No, it's you being delusional. And I mean that completely sincerely.

"Most ambitious TV show of all time"? Please. They aren't creating anything new or original, seeing as how just about everything they get is from a far superior book series, and if we're talking about scale and budget, well, Rome had a huge budget and isn't as insanely overrated at Game of Thrones is or as widely hyped up. I'd say that Deadwood and The Wire are two shows far more ambitious than Game of Thrones is, in terms of writing, themes and atmosphere.

I loved Rome, but let's not pretend that it had anywhere near the scope of Game of Thrones, especially as the series has progressed to include more characters, locations, and sets. And that's not even bringing up the costumes, which are much more diverse and complex than anything found in Rome. Filming Thrones has to be an absolute nightmare, and I really don't think enough people respect how difficult it likely is to put a production this vast together.

"Most ambitious TV show of all time"? Please. They aren't creating anything new or original, seeing as how just about everything they get is from a far superior book series, and if we're talking about scale and budget, well, Rome had a huge budget and isn't as insanely overrated at Game of Thrones is or as widely hyped up. I'd say that Deadwood and The Wire are two shows far more ambitious than Game of Thrones is, in terms of writing, themes and atmosphere.

The Wire is a better show, the best show ever made, in my opinion, but Game of Thrones is much more ambitious. Nothing like this show has ever been attempted before, much less accomplished. Just because it's based on pre-existing material doesn't mean the producers can snap their fingers and have a show.

I didn't mean you "owe" them in that sense. I'm saying we should be more grateful that we got such a brilliant adaptation of Martin's work, instead of nitpicking minor character changes we perceive to be in some way important.

I think "brilliant" is subjective. But if it's important, why shouldn't we talk about it? Why else are we here? To say that's awesome. No this is awesome. It's all awesome! It's a show, there are things you like there are things you don't like, just like anything else.

That makes no sense. It's going to be when Arya finally reaches Braavos.

I dont think so.

Arya's most obvious storyline ending for season 4 would be her gazing at the Titan from the deck of a ship at the distance.

But Stannis is supposed to go there as well earlier during the season (around episode 5 I'd bet) so we will see the Titan firstly through his eyes.

The Wire is a better show, the best show ever made, in my opinion, but Game of Thrones is much more ambitious. Nothing like this show has ever been attempted before, much less accomplished. Just because it's based on pre-existing material doesn't mean the producers can snap their fingers and have a show.

I would also say that The Wire, in addition to being a better show (and I agree it's the greatest show ever made), was also more ambitious thematically and politically. However, if we're talking sheer scope and production values (and I think we are), Thrones is easily the most ambitious show ever made.

Also, Queen of Whores: Rome was a good show, and the reason it got cancelled was that its budget surpassed its popularity. However, in all honesty I don't think it was nearly as good as GoT. In terms of plot and characters (things which, admittedly, are borrowed from the books), but also in the epic sets, the beautiful landscape, the tone, the costumes, the writing…GoT is way more deserving of its current status in pop culture than Rome. In my opinion, GoT is probably the second or third best show of all time (I haven't seen The Wire yet, so I'm not going to call it the best only to revoke my opinion later). It's certainly the best show I've every seen on television.

Rickon of the North, several points:

1) Give me a lot of money and a good cast and I reckon I could do a better job than D&D, and that's not even me being arrogant. I believe a lot of posters here could do a better job than them in terms of writing and characterisation.

I read a lot of nonsense on message boards in the past, but this is right near the top. You are incredibly arrogant and out of touch with reality.

I have to laugh at all of the hand-wringing over Sansa. Declarations that what we are seeing is her "confiding" in Tyrion, that they are somehow "BFFs".

To "confide" in someone you have to believe they don't already know what you're telling them. What she is saying is obvious to the dumbest post in Kings Landing, let alone Tyrion. Tyrion is coming to her in some vague attempt to comfort her and she's telling him "Seriously, fuck you, you shitheads killed my dad, my brother, and I'm a prisoner here." There's no "confiding", and she sounds bitter and angry, as she should.

Sure, in the books, she has her "armor" and doesn't let that out. That's fine. In the books we are inside her head, hearing her thoughts. In the series, we need to see a little bit of the fire, and anger. I can't see how anyone could mistake her demeanor in this trailer for being friendly with Tyrion in any way.

On a slightly more negative note, while the Titan looks spectacular, I am a little disappointed at the perspective of the shot. The nerd in me loves seeing the Titan with the city behind it. However, I have up to now appreciated that the camera has always been grounded in a perspective that is more realistic for the setting (it is possible I am forgetting some; I am not counting the Dragons high in the air above the army in S3E4 as it is following flying creatures). The shot of the Titan from above is very high-fantasy-ish and LOTR spectacle, which doesn't really fit GoT in my opinion. I really like the mental image GRRM gave us from the perspective of a boat entering the harbor. Seeing it from above diminishes the sense of grand scale we get from the sea-level perspective... I hope we still get to see it that way, I think there's a decent chance we will.

I think we need to define "ambitious" a bit more clearly. Are we talking about ambitious in the sense that it has battles and CGI and different locations? If so, yes, Game of Thrones is probably the most ambitious show ever made. But if we mean ambitious in the sense that it explores themes and ideas new or daring, and does things far more creatively and uniquely, then I'm afraid Game of Thrones falls far behind such shows as The Wire, The Sopranos, Deadwood and Six Feet Under, the latter easily being the most ambitious show in history in terms of dark, uncomfortable themes and controversial but real-life issues. AFAIK Game of Thrones hadn't tackled any relevant or insightful themes or issues beyond "power is mostly bad." :dunno:

I think "brilliant" is subjective. But if it's important, why shouldn't we talk about it? Why else are we here? To say that's awesome. No this is awesome. It's all awesome! It's a show, there are things you like there are things you don't like, just like anything else.

You're right. Nitpicking is something we've all earned the right to do, as avid readers and watchers: I think I misspoke. What I have a problem with is the sweeping judgements/dismissals of the entire show based on minor character changes/deviations from the books.

I loved Rome, but let's not pretend that it had anywhere near the scope of Game of Thrones, especially as the series has progressed to include more characters, locations, and sets. And that's not even bringing up the costumes, which are much more diverse and complex than anything found in Rome. Filming Thrones has to be an absolute nightmare, and I really don't think enough people respect how difficult it likely is to put a production this vast together.

Alas , at first George thought that HBO's interest in ASOIAF was kill ROME!

He loved ROME.

Thankfully his fears were misplaced.

(I wonder where HBO is in getting a new I Claudius started? Also will Spielberg's mini series , Kubrick's Napoleon, bump I Claudius back?)

Amen.

It's one thing to comment about things you don't like about the show. It's another to post here in bad faith. If you watch the show expressly looking for reasons to get angry, you're doing it wrong.

I'm not accusing you of this, Le Cygne. You clearly appreciate the show, warts and all, and are just very vocal about what you don't like.

My apologies for the upcoming rant.

I get so frustrated whenever people act as if they could do things a million times better than D&D, when what they've created is so much better than really the majority of fantasy we've seen projected to the big screen. I, for one, am really grateful for this epic, quality show.

And literally the only people who I've met who think season 1 was the best season have been book purists, and it's not surprising since that's the year they made the fewest deviations from the books. Most everyone else (like people who don't care about minor, insignificant changes) think that season 3 was by far the best, in terms of pacing, tone and production.

Ok, I'm done. Sorry.

Amen :bowdown:

Seriously, I know I shouldn't be surprised anymore after almost 2 years here, but the level of undeserved criticism is getting ridiculous,

I'm not saying the show is perfect, it has a lot of flaws, but c'mon, do most of you watch the show just to bitch about it on the internet or what?

1) Give me a lot of money and a good cast and I reckon I could do a better job than D&D, and that's not even me being arrogant. I believe a lot of posters here could do a better job than them in terms of writing and characterisation.

I think this is the first time we have found Peter Jackson trolling here!

(If you are not Peter Jackson... then

"There was a jolly miller,

Lived on the River Dee.

He looked beneath his piller,

And there he found a flea.

Ho ho ho ho hee hee, he cried with glee.

Robert Newton as Blackbeard)

I'm not accusing you of this, Le Cygne. You clearly appreciate the show, warts and all, and are just very vocal about what you don't like.

Well, thank you. There are lots of things I like, but it's not easy seeing one of your favorite characters gutted. We all have different things that matter to us...

The point I would get across is, I think most of us wanted to like the show. That's why we're here in the first place.

I think this is the first time we have found Peter Jackson trolling here!

Oh please, if you think I'm critical of Game of Thrones, you have no idea how pissed off I am at Peter Jackson for disrespecting, misunderstanding and exploiting the story of The Hobbit.

Btw, you seem to have mistakenly quoted Rickon of the North as having said that quote. It's unfair to lay all your hate on him and not me, the one who truly said these words :P

Oh please, if you think I'm critical of Game of Thrones, you have no idea how pissed off I am at Peter Jackson for disrespecting, misunderstanding and exploiting the story of The Hobbit.

Did you think he did better with LOTR? I think so, I am pretty happy with that. If we'd gotten the same treatment for this story, I'd have been happy, too.

Archived