Kickstarter: What's been your experience?

MisterOJ

I backed a handful of projects by now, some on Kickstarter but also on other platforms. And always for the person behind the project as much as the project itself. Mostly it has been publishing related, some anthologies, the clarkesworld translation project; nut also for someone wanting to try and branch out and start something new. I have always been happy to see what my small contribution made possible, and have been happy with the things I've gotten in return.

So, some dudes in my town are using Kickstarter to start up a local brewery. This is severely lacking in our little burg, and I would normally be all about helping out, but...

The rewards seem so piddly. Is it just me, or does this seem way out of whack for a Kickstarter project? $20 gets you only a couple of stickers. $50 gets you a T-shirt and stickers. And $100 only nets you the shirt, stickers and a pint glass?

If a project is worthwhile (and this one is, IMO) should the rewards matter?

Well... Do you want a tee shirt and stickers, or do you want a new local brewery?

So, some dudes in my town are using Kickstarter to start up a local brewery. This is severely lacking in our little burg, and I would normally be all about helping out, but...

The rewards seem so piddly. Is it just me, or does this seem way out of whack for a Kickstarter project? $20 gets you only a couple of stickers. $50 gets you a T-shirt and stickers. And $100 only nets you the shirt, stickers and a pint glass?

If a project is worthwhile (and this one is, IMO) should the rewards matter?

The reward is always going to be on that scale, because they need to open the brewery, not just sell you discounted schwag. If they ever open and you donate $100, I bet you could stroll in there get comped a few pints. I'd assume the donation covers the cost of the shwag and then also includes some room for some $ they can use to get the project going.

The reward is always going to be on that scale, because they need to open the brewery, not just sell you discounted schwag. If they ever open and you donate $100, I bet you could stroll in there get comped a few pints. I'd assume the donation covers the cost of the shwag and then also includes some room for some $ they can use to get the project going.

I guess it just seems weird to me that they're not including that as part of the Kickstarter reward. Like, the three campaigns I have helped with have been:

1) A debut album for a band; that included the CD in the rewards

2) An online game; that included Beta access to the game

and 3) MC's hot sauce; that included some bottles of sauce.

All three of those made sense. I also thought seriously about helping fund a startup bagel shop that a friend of a friend of a friend was doing. The reward tiers all included x dozen bagels as part of the deal. Asking to help start up a brewery without including any of the brew in the rewards just seems weird and is sorta offputting.

I guess it just seems weird to me that they're not including that as part of the Kickstarter reward. Like, the three campaigns I have helped with have been:

1) A debut album for a band; that included the CD in the rewards

2) An online game; that included Beta access to the game

and 3) MC's hot sauce; that included some bottles of sauce.

All three of those made sense. I also thought seriously about helping fund a startup bagel shop that a friend of a friend of a friend was doing. The reward tiers all included x dozen bagels as part of the deal. Asking to help start up a brewery without including any of the brew in the rewards just seems weird and is sorta offputting.

That could be because of rules about alcohol give-aways?

No law that says you have to be 21 to donate, but there is one about being 21 to drink. I could see this leading to legal problems

would it contravene the terms of service against political contributions were i to start one to fund an art installation called One World Gubmint, which installation just so happens to abolish all of the ruthless cappy states currently operating and replace them with some kinda commie outfit?

I know of two NYC breweries that ran Kickstarters (Braven and Finback) and neither included beer in the rewards, though both included invitations to launch parties above a certain level, which I imagine would feature beer.

I'm not sure how much this depends on local laws versus national regulations or Kickstarter policies, but the Braven Kickstarter page specifically mentions that they're not allowed to include beer in the rewards:

The Rewards

We can’t give away beer (everyone asks!), but we can get you awesome Braven branded prizes, like gear, exclusive parties, and top end brewing experiences.

The Kickstarter for Modern Times Beer in San Diego offered no beer in the rewards either, and explicitly states "Beer cannot be one of our rewards, but so much else can."

ETA: Oh, and looking at the menu at the very bottom of a Kickstarter page takes you to the Creator Handbook, which includes a list of prohibited items for rewards. The sixth entry in the list:

1. Offering alcohol as a reward.

I have been toying with the idea of starting one for a project I have in mind. What has been people's experience with the actual process of starting and running one?

I haven't run a kickstarter, but have seen some after action reports. The main message seems to be to keep in mind the costs and time involved in sending rewards (and the way that does or doesn't scale well), and it seems to be important to have a network in place before you start the campaign.

There is a new post on running a kickstarter campaign here http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2015/02/lets-talk-about-running-a-succ.html

And Tobias Buckell has written extensively about his experience for example http://www.tobiasbuckell.com/2012/12/17/how-i-used-kickstarter-to-reboot-a-book-series-and-my-career-and-maybe-my-life/ and http://emmalarkins.blogspot.nl/2013/03/interview-with-tobias-buckell.html

I haven't run a kickstarter, but have seen some after action reports. The main message seems to be to keep in mind the costs and time involved in sending rewards (and the way that does or doesn't scale well), and it seems to be important to have a network in place before you start the campaign.

There is a new post on running a kickstarter campaign here http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2015/02/lets-talk-about-running-a-succ.html

And Tobias Buckell has written extensively about his experience for example http://www.tobiasbuckell.com/2012/12/17/how-i-used-kickstarter-to-reboot-a-book-series-and-my-career-and-maybe-my-life/ and http://emmalarkins.blogspot.nl/2013/03/interview-with-tobias-buckell.html

Thank you, I found both of those links very helpful.

I've given to a project on Kickstarter, but most of my crowdfunding money goes toward supporting other teachers on DonorsChoose since my students have benefited so much from the 7 projects I've done on there (which everyone here who is friends with me on Facebook are subject to hearing about automatically.) My parents liked the thank you notes from my students so much after they donated to one of my projects that they read them aloud on Christmas Eve. Crowdfunding is kind of a pain to get, but when the alternative is not having money for classroom projects, I'll jump through the hoops for it.

• 3 weeks later...

I've recently contributed to the Pathologic remake by Ice-Pick Lodge. Loved the original game (even though the translation is bad) and it made such an impact on me that I almost started jumping out of joy when I first heard about the remake. In fact, I can honestly say that it's the best game I've ever played. I love everything about it, and even the lame translation has its charm. The guys from IPL are very talented.

I love Kickstart. Sure, there are some stupid projects, but a lot of good things come out of it.

Deep breath, sigh. Never mind.

In contrast to Kickstarter which needs to be fully funded before you are charged I am currently supporting a Indigogo campaign, which takes takes all money immediately. That feels even more like a gift than any kickstarter (like) project I've ever spent money on.

Looked at one project once. I wasn't sure what to think about it - if it got off the ground it would have got full funding elsewhere and everyone would have got money/profits .... except those kicking in via kickstarter. I wasn't sure if I agreed with that, so didn't contribute. It felt like if the project was a roaring success, something financial should go back to those who got it off the ground.

• 1 month later...

Did a few tabletop rpgs and computer games. The Hex one is probably the only one that was disappointing....though Torment isn't out yet it seems to be going well.

I never go above $100 and each time I weigh the risk of not getting anything versus what I want. As such I find it a great platform to support projects that wouldn't get made otherwise.

Archived