Small Questions v 10026

Stubby

That aeems a bit too obvious. The George had LF tell the Ned he was going to Janos, so why write a description to confirm it? I'm sure Janos was inv the city, and I don't recall anybody else getting dusty riding around the city...

Perhaps it was a hint towards LF's deceit? It seems it took LF the entire night to bribe Janos, since he's still dressed in the same clothes. Perhaps they rode to a secret meeting place, out of reach of little birds?

What else other than riding will make boots dusty in KL?

Perhaps it was a hint towards LF's deceit? It seems it took LF the entire night to bribe Janos, since he's still dressed in the same clothes. Perhaps they rode to a secret meeting place, out of reach of little birds?

What else other than riding will make boots dusty in KL?

Well, Renly and Loras were seen galloping south after taking leave through a postern gate, but then we're getting out of Small Questions territory...

Is there any evidence that Robb warged into Greywind or is it strictly speculation?

The Lannisters kept swearing that he could turn into a wolf, plus his wolf discovered a secret pass enabling them to sneak around an army. Unless the wolf learned sign language, I'd imagine Robb was warging at the time.

I think a more pertinent question would be, "Which Northerner is going to assassinate Ramsay first?"

Roose or one of "Ramsay's boys." But he won't be assassinated, I believe GRRM will finally give a us a satisfying death for Ramsay. He's built him up so much as a monster, he's due for downfall of epic proportions. If anyone assassinates Ramsay, I would like it to be Theon.

About Pod. If Brienne saved him by screaming "sword", which we all seem pretty confident about, is it reasonable to assume that Ser Hyle was spared too? I hope so, I don't want him to die :(

I think so, I don't see why he wouldn't be cut down. I do seem to remember he was still alive (barely) when Brienne screamed.

Also, the word being "sword" has been confirmed by GRRM.

I never understood the title A Dance with Dragons. I can't see how it's relevant to the overall story of the book. The other titles seem rather obvious to me. They all refer to a theme which goes through (almost) all storylines, but I can't see that with Dance. I suppose you could relate it to Dany's and Ageon's storylines, and the storylines connected to them: Selmy, Quentyn, Victarion, JonCon and Tyrion. But I don't see how the title refers to Theon, Jon, Sam, Arya, Sansa, Asha and the rest in Westeros.

So, in short, can someone explain how the title A Dance with Dragons refers to the content of the book?

What about all the literal dragon action in the book? They're getting larger, more dangerous, and more capable of crazy shit.

Jojen saw people drowned. We know, via the Iron Islanders, that drowned doesn't necessarily mean dead.

[Are the ironborn's drowned men truly drowned?]

no

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Asshai.com_Forum_Chat

I guarantee you he's dead. Even if he was the Michael Phelps of Westeros and the well had a path that lead out, it would still be freezing and too dark to see down there.

This title has a deeper meaning than it might seem at first.

In the 5th book, we have 4 dragons maximum: Dany, Aegon, Jon and Bloodraven. You might even want to add Aemon, who dies in aFfC, but since that story line happens at the same time as aDwD, he could be counted.

So in the 5th book, we not only have Dany (Barristan chapters, Quentyn chapters, a little bit of Tyrion chapters, Victarion chapters), but we also get Aegon (Tyrion, Jon Connington), Bloodraven (Bran) and, depending on whether or not the theory is correct, Jon Snow (Jon chapters, Sam chapters).

Out of these 4 dragons, all of them are involved in some sort of war. Dany is fighting a war in Meereen, trying to get peace there, Aegon is fighting to gain the Iron Throne, invading Westeros in the proces, Bloodraven is preparing Bran for what I can only assume is the upcomming battle against the Others, and Jon is struggeling with the wildlings, the treath of the Others, and of course his own men, who turn against him at the end.

So, instead of dragon fighting dragon (as what happend during the Dance of the Dragons with Rhaenyra and Aegon II, and their direct families), here we have other groups fighting against or for a dragon. They are either fighting Dany, Jon, Bloodraven, or Aegon, hence the title Dance with Dragons.

I think the title refers to the four characters I mentioned above, and their personal struggles.

Like I said, you could also add Maester Aemon as one of the dragons, since he is a Targaryen. He fights a war (sort of) with his old age and his bad health, trying to reach Dany in time. Maester Aemon is the first dragon out of 5 to lose the battle.

The Dragons are all dancing.

Great analysis. I just want to emphasize the preposition thing you have bolded, and also add that "dance" in this case might mean not war, but rather the attempt of various factions to partner up with the dragons for their own purposes.

Also, a purely statistical analysis of the book shows that out of 73 chapters, at least 34 deal directly with the Targaryens (Aegon and Dany) - and if you add Jon and Bran's chapters, that number jumps to 50 (52 if you count Mel's and the epilogue).

While it's not ALL about the dragons, it's the most important events in the book. Much like in AGOT, which has Jon and Cat chapters that have nothing to do with the game, or ACOK that has Jon and Dany chapters that have nothing to do with the War of he 5 Kings.

While it's not ALL about the dragons, it's the most important events in the book. Much like in AGOT, which has Jon and Cat chapters that have nothing to do with the game, or ACOK that has Jon and Dany chapters that have nothing to do with the War of he 5 Kings.

I'd have to disagree with you on Cat not being apart of the Game of Thrones. She was in the Game, pretty in depth.

Anyone else know what all was updated in the app? So far I've noticed the full Tyrion chapter that he had read before and a lot of Targ ladies seem to have been added. Was there anything else big that was supposed to be in there?

Anyone else know what all was updated in the app? So far I've noticed the full Tyrion chapter that he had read before and a lot of Targ ladies seem to have been added. Was there anything else big that was supposed to be in there?

We'll from what I understand there were some places and people updated. Someone mentioned something about Ifeqevron or something on another thread if that means anything to you? And I. werthead's Atlas of Ice and Fire thread he seems to have updated some stuff about Essoss and the drying of several seas. Try the World of Ice and Fire subforum, there seems to be some further info there

ETA - http://www.westeros.org/ASoWS/News/Entry/World_of_Ice_and_Fire_App_Update_Arrives

Archived