Small Questions v 10026

Stubby

Do we ever hear of any Night Watch deserters running away to Essos (not counting Dareon)? I am talking mainly about the criminals that have been forced to join NW and would probably take any chance to get away. How difficult would it be (especially to to those garrisoned at Eastwatch) to smuggle their way onto a ship heading to one of the Free Cities?

Come to think of it, do we ever hear of any lowborn criminals running away to Essos?

Has Robert Baratheon ever been knighted?

Do lords get knighted?

Lords can get knighted, but since the title Lord is a higher station of power than Ser, those who have both titles often use Lord.

Also, knighthood for the highborn usually occurs at a rather young age (late teens, early twenties), whereas becommng a lord usually doesn't happen until later (withthe exceptions of war, which made Ned a Lord at the age of 20 for example, and plagues, like the Spring Sickness, which killed many people and left for example 6 year old boy in charge of Riverrun).

It has never been explicitly stated that Robert was ever knighted, but he is capable of knighting others. Since we have heard "only a knight can make a knight" before, it suggests that Robert was knighted, though you could also argue that exceptions can be made for kings, giving them the power to knight someone without having been knighted themselves.

Lords can get knighted, but since the title Lord is a higher station of power than Ser, those who have both titles often use Lord.

Also, knighthood for the highborn usually occurs at a rather young age (late teens, early twenties), whereas becommng a lord usually doesn't happen until later (withthe exceptions of war, which made Ned a Lord at the age of 20 for example, and plagues, like the Spring Sickness, which killed many people and left for example 6 year old boy in charge of Riverrun).

It has never been explicitly stated that Robert was ever knighted, but he is capable of knighting others. Since we have heard "only a knight can make a knight" before, it suggests that Robert was knighted, though you could also argue that exceptions can be made for kings, giving them the power to knight someone without having been knighted themselves.

Great explanation. Thank you very much.

Do we ever hear of any Night Watch deserters running away to Essos (not counting Dareon)? I am talking mainly about the criminals that have been forced to join NW and would probably take any chance to get away. How difficult would it be (especially to to those garrisoned at Eastwatch) to smuggle their way onto a ship heading to one of the Free Cities?

Come to think of it, do we ever hear of any lowborn criminals running away to Essos?

Except for Daeron we haven't heard of such.

The scenario you suggest about the ships would require said deserter to remain undetected for the entire journey, since the crew would recognize it if there was suddenly someone new on board of the ship. Remaining hidden for such long journeys created the problem of needing food and water.

A deserter could theoretically steal himself some new clothes somewhere and get on a ship, but he wouldn't have the coin to pay. It's possible he could work his way across the sea though.

That said, deserters who were criminals with he choice "the Wall or die" will most likely be hunted, after their desertion is discovered. Chett thinks to himself how they'll be hunted, IIRC, when they desertion becomes known, and he plans to rely solely on the fact that the weather made it extremely hard to follow their tracks, which was ruined when it started to snow (which would leave very visible tracks to follow). (also, the arrivel of the White Walkers did not help very much either, but that was just bad luck :p).

I doubt the NW is going to be hunting down people in Essos for oathbreaking. Too costly from a human and financial perspective.

That said, there are examples of criminals fleeing in the books that aren't just high born - most of the Bloody Mummers were making for a port to GTFO before they lost their heads. The big issue is money, obviously.

Robin Flint is described as one of the older members of Robb's Personal Guard, along with Wendel Manderly (a man older than Catelyn). According to Clash's appendix, Robin's mother is Lady Lyessa Flint. In Dance, Lyessa is pregnant so she cannot attend any of the events happening when the Bolton's have taken over.

Unless the pregnancy story is a cover, isn't Lyessa too old to have a son of Robin's age and still give birth safely?

Didn't Jon consider that option at one point?

This reminds me of I small question that I've had.

Where do the Black Brothers get the money to go "digging for buried treasure"? Do they get paid?

This is a good thread to get some infos. Seems like a bartering agreement.

From the SSM:

I assume that the Night's Watch does not pay the Black Brothers any wages in coin for their service - they get their provisions for free, after all.

What I was wondering...how do the Brothers pay the whores in Moletown? Since they're not using coin, do they pay in naturalia filched from Night Watch' stores?

I guess some women so far north would choose such a life (given that life is relatively harsher than farther south), even if they are not paid in coin...

A lot of the Mole's Town transactions are paid by barter, certaintly, but there is coin at the Wall... not much, though, especially these days... (see following answer). Some coin comes north with the highborn brothers... someone like Ser Waymar Royce undoubtedly arrived well heeled, and I imagine families send gifts and such as well... and there's trade that goes in and out of Eastwatch...

"Unless the pregnancy story is a cover, isn't Lyessa too old to have a son of Robin's age and still give birth safely? "

at any age younger then menapause her risk of baring a pregnancy would not be much more then the risks born by a younger woman and likely somewhat less then the risks assumed by a woman in her mid-teens.

"Do lords get knighted? "

Hmmm, a lord would only get knighted if he joined the Kings Guard or any such "Knightly Order" otherwise their would be no need as a Lord he outranks a knight in the social/political pecking order.

"It has never been explicitly stated that Robert was ever knighted, but he is capable of knighting others. Since we have heard "only a knight can make a knight" before, it suggests that Robert was knighted, though you could also argue that exceptions can be made for kings, giving them the power to knight someone without having been knighted themselves. "

If we take the Middle Ages as the model then a Knight and any higher peer of the realm could create a Knight. If we equate the social structure of Westeros to the Mafia, A Knight is a Soldier who has earned his bones, a Lord is a lieutenant a High Lord a Capo and the King the Capo De Tuti Capo. Anyone from a Soldier who has made his bones on up can make another Soldier.

Do lords get knighted?

Yeah, Edmure was specifically referred to as Ser in the first book before he became the Lord in the latter books. Ser Barristan says that Robert was a good knight but a poor King which seems to indicate that he had been knighted, most likely by Jon Arryn.

You know what? I've read the books 2 (and a half) times and I never even entertained this idea, let alone the implications of what you just said... Good catch!

Can't take credit for that one, I didn't think of it either until I read it in one of those big theory essays. Can't remember which one.

Archived