Cooking Questions 4: More questions about cookery

MisterOJ

• 2 weeks later...

Give me your tired, your poor, your chocolate chip cookie recipes.

I know MC's cookie recipe is a family secret, and please don't bother with the Toll House recipe, serviceable though it may be. I want to hear from people who have a recipe that differs, one that you think makes your chocolate chip cookies the best in the biz.

I'm experimenting with cauliflower, cabbage and mushroom soup. There was a restaurant I used to go to years ago that had the most delicious ccm soup, which I am trying to re-incarnate. I think I will start by cooking chopped onions in some olive oil, then add sliced cauliflower florets, sliced mushrooms, shredded cabbage, in my homemade chicken stock. Maybe with a shredded carrot.

I'm experimenting with cauliflower, cabbage and mushroom soup. There was a restaurant I used to go to years ago that had the most delicious ccm soup, which I am trying to re-incarnate. I think I will start by cooking chopped onions in some olive oil, then add sliced cauliflower florets, sliced mushrooms, shredded cabbage, in my homemade chicken stock. Maybe with a shredded carrot.

if you want it to be delicious then i'd imagine butter and cream. or do you want to be healthy?

if you want it to be delicious then i'd imagine butter and cream. or do you want to be healthy?

Ha! I did use a mix of EVO and butter, and I also make various vegetable soups that I puree and then perhaps add a splash of cream to, but this particular soup relied on the flavour of the broth.

Because I try to eat a low-carb diet, I am totally unafraid of cream. :)

Looking for suggestions for an oven-roasted brisket. Obviously, I would much rather smoke a brisket, but I live in an apartment and don't have access to a smoker at the moment. I tried it once in an oven a couple of years ago, and it was fine, but it was just really well-cooked meat.

I saw a Gordon Ramsay video on searing steak, and it's got me on a bit of a kick. I've bought his book, and I'm having a lot of fun stitching some of these recipes together, mostly steaks.

Not to say that I've not made any errors. Just now, I learned that you do NOT fry an egg the same way you sear a steak. Bad fucking idea, but it was the inspiration for this thread, so something good came out of it.

So since I couldn't find a cooking thread after looking through 10 pages, I thought I start one. For any cooking tips, advice, cool recipes or whatever.

I've decided that since the position for 'Superstar QB who replaces Peyton Manning in Indianapolis' has been filled, I'd go all in on winning Hell's Kitchen instead.

So, what have you got, board? So far my favorite steak I've cooked for myself was a 14 ounce Ribeye that I seasoned lightly with salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper cooked medium rare. I set that on some nicely crisped potatoes and onions, and topped it with buttered asparagus. It wasn't exactly five star, but it's easily the best meal I've ever cooked for myself. Tomorrow or the day after, I'm gonna take a swing at Venison.

I can cook some indian dishes since I'm indian, normally if I'm cooking it's either chicken curry or lasagna. I use all fresh ingredients except the red/white lasagna sauce (though I'd love to make it myself one day.) And like all my food, my lasagna has that 'indian' taste to it :lol: it does taste really nice though. I usually add sweetcorn, fresh peppers, chicken and pasta to mine.

One tip I've learnt is to mush onions into a paste instead of just chopping them if you're making curry, it makes the curry really nice and thick. I grated it as much as I could that day. The curry in question was excellent, just a little too spicy and less salt

Sivin: I have a couple different kinds of advice to give.

For new cooks I always recommend Mark Bittman's How To Cook Everything: The Basics. Bittman's recipes don't always set the world on fire, but they're all pretty good, and it's the perfect beginner book. Lots of photos, lots of tips, lots of "here's the important thing about this," lots of technique info, lots of stuff like how to stock a basic pantry. I tried a lot of cookbooks before that one and I found that the accessibility of this one puts all other "newbie" books to shame without compromising your results with garbage food like some of the sad ones for college students who don't actually want to learn to cook. Can't recommend it highly enough.

In general: make food properly, eschew most shortcuts because they are terrible. Mostly doing things from scratch is not that hard, and is usually worth it. BUT do figure out which shortcuts you CAN take without compromising the results significantly.

Use decent gear. You don't need to buy super expensive stuff, but a $35 Victorinox chef's knife will still be a massive upgrade over some $10 piece of shit from the grocery store.

Last, two things got me amped up when I was starting out. One was Ramsay's video about scrambled eggs. His enthusiasm is infectious. The other is Thug Kitchen, which I found fun and accessible. Expect that shit.

I have some go-to recipes I can post, stuff that is simple to make but delicious. I can post some of those when I get home, or if I catch a break at work.

What Ramsay book did you buy?

Give me your tired, your poor, your chocolate chip cookie recipes.

I know MC's cookie recipe is a family secret, and please don't bother with the Toll House recipe, serviceable though it may be. I want to hear from people who have a recipe that differs, one that you think makes your chocolate chip cookies the best in the biz.

I once ate these Nutella-Stuffed Brown Butter & Sea Salt Chocolate Chip Cookies, and they were indeed the best cookies I ever had, and then I decided I would make them. And I made them once, and they were amazing, but they were so labor-intensive (for me) that I may never make them again.

http://www.ambitiouskitchen.com/2012/09/nutella-stuffed-brown-butter-sea-salt-chocolate-chip-cookies-my-favorite-cookie-ever/

I once ate these Nutella-Stuffed Brown Butter & Sea Salt Chocolate Chip Cookies, and they were indeed the best cookies I ever had, and then I decided I would make them. And I made them once, and they were amazing, but they were so labor-intensive (for me) that I may never make them again.

http://www.ambitiouskitchen.com/2012/09/nutella-stuffed-brown-butter-sea-salt-chocolate-chip-cookies-my-favorite-cookie-ever/

That does look like one wicked cookie.

Also, the banner ad at the top of the page? "Managing Adult Type 2 diabetes." Just sayin'

I am making pulled chicken sandwiches for Max's first birthday. We both have good size families and are expecting about 40 people, about half of those are kids. Will three 7-8 pound chickens be enough? They are raised by my dad and have a ton of meat on each one.

At Sunday dinner we were four adults and we demolished one chicken (2 had been prepared), but I don't think it was 7 or 8 pounds, it was likely the typical 3.5 to 4 pounds. Three chickens does not sound like enough. 8 oz per adult is a basic rule of thumb, 40 people, technically 20 pounds of meat. If the children are small, lets say 4 oz., 5 pounds of meat for the children, 10 pounds for 20 adults. I see on the internet that someone bought some chickens and weighed up the meat, and concluded 62% was meat. So, 21 pounds would be 13 pounds, 24 pounds would be 14.9 pounds.

Unless some of the people are vegetarians, I'd make 4 chickens, to be safe.

Per serving - up to 12 oz. per person if the chicken is the main item, 6 to 8 oz. if there are lots of sides, maybe as little as 4 oz. if it's in some kind of casserole or pasta.

That's what I thought!

Just weighed it the two I took out the other night. One was just over 7 the other was about 7.5. I am not certain, but I am pretty sure they will have a pretty high meat percentage. I have made quite a few of them and it is amazing how packed these butcher chickens are with meat.

I think that 3 will be enough. That would be 21-24 pounds with bones. With all the kids, planning for over 1/2 a pound with bones per person should be good. I have a backup chicken that I can cook the night before if it looks like 3 are not enough once it is all shredded.

Archived