I don't get Sansa's dislike for Tyrion

Panos Targaryen

Sansa is a young girl who has had her whole world ripped away from her. Then when it finally seems like she might get some chance at happiness, she is forced to marry Tyrion which basically kept her as Cersie's prisoner and potential Joeffry rape victim.

She's basically shut Tyrion out because he is the only Lannister she can hurt. Even petty revenge is better than nothing

Yes, what a terrible person Sansa is. She should obviously just layed back and thought of WF while he was raping her! She obviously should have immediately loved him once she was informed she would marry him, even if it meant she would be a bloody mess. Yes, Tyrion is the victim here, Sansa is a cruel heartless bitch. She should have obviously put the feelings if the man holding her captive above her own!

Seriously though, I suggest rereading the situation from just Sansa's perspective, ignoring all thoughts and feelings of Tyrion's. You might get a better understanding of the situation. It really doesn't matter if Tyrion was marched to the wedding under direct orders and being forced (which is not even close to what happened) because he never informs Sansa of this. Sansa has no idea about his thoughts,just his actions, which all support the fact that he's truly out to protect and defend his family and has no reservations about killing every single person she knows and loves.

Tyrion is not owed affection or love as he's done nothing to earn it. In their laat moments together he's even thinking about how tonight is the night, he's going to rape her, but it'll be ok because she's a true lady and will only cry a little. Tyrion is disgusting.

A lot of people (including, frankly, the writers of the TV show) have a hard time with the fact that Tyrion is senior member of the Lannister regime responsible for waging war on the Starks, and the fact that he lacks personal malice toward them does not mean he's any less responsible for those actions. There's no reason why Sansa should like such a person, whether or not he's more humane as a captor on a personal level.

I don't think Sansa hates Tyrion, but she's a 14 year old girl and she associates Tyrion's family with the death of her father, and the basic ruin of her life.

See, this sort of defence of Sansa I don't understand. She has entirely reasonable grounds not to like Tyrion -- her being 14 has nothing to do with it. She could be 18, 28, or 88 and she'd be just as justified.

I don't think Sansa hates Tyrion, but she's a 14 year old girl and she associates Tyrion's family with the death of her father, and the basic ruin of her life. In the last episodes of Season 3, before Sansa was informed of the death of her brother and mother, Tyrion and Sansa seemed to be getting along splendidly, even making jokes with each other and planning to put dead animals in people's beds. That kind of jovial banter ended after The Red Wedding, and Sansa is obviously now not in the mood to be friendly with anyone, but I don't think she has a personal dislike for Tyrion.

Oh my god I absolutely despise the tv-show take on their marriage. How on earth did they come up with those fluff scenes when it so blatantly obvious that it is so much darker than that. Sansa seeps into depression every day during their marriage to the point she considers suicide.

LOL, good point, especially about his previously saving Sansa from Joff....it doesn't take a genius to know that it's bad policy to humiliate your future queen and mother of your children. Only dumbasses such as Joff and Cersei would fail to see this as a blunder.

Quite beyond that, the beatings are extremely stupid because they could quite easily have killed Sansa. The first time it happens, Trant backhands her across the ear with a mailed fist with sufficient force to draw blood, which could easily have killed her given that we're talking about an adult man punching a twelve-year old. The beating that prompts Tyrion's intervention involves Blount beating Sansa about the abdomen with the flat of a steel blade so many times that she loses count of the blows; it's surprising that she has no broken bones as result of that.

Either of those, and probably any number of the other ones we don't see, could have resulted in her death, at which point Jaime would probably have had his head spiked and mounted over the walls of Riverrun. Actually, it's weird that Cersei isn't even slightly worried about that.

Quite beyond that, the beatings are extremely stupid because they could quite easily have killed Sansa. The first time it happens, Trant backhands her across the ear with a mailed fist with sufficient force to draw blood, which could easily have killed her given that we're talking about an adult man punching a twelve-year old. The beating that prompts Tyrion's intervention involves Blount beating Sansa about the abdomen with the flat of a steel blade so many times that she loses count of the blows; it's surprising that she has no broken bones as result of that.

Either of those, and probably any number of the other ones we don't see, could have resulted in her death, at which point Jaime would probably have had his head spiked and mounted over the walls of Riverrun. Actually, it's weird that Cersei isn't even slightly worried about that.

be a wonder if she could even have children if she survives.

Pretty sure Sansa thinks Tyrion is playing good cop bad cop, so obviously she doesn't trust him. And why should she ? Tyrion is a dark man filled thoughts of wanting to kill those closest to him.

You are looking it at from the perspective of the reader. From Sansa's perspective he is the enemy eventhough he might be civil towards her. Besides I never got the sense that she hated him. She was repulsed at first and later kind of indifferent.

Sansa was a child hostage forced to marry into the house responsible for ripping her family apart. But yes, poor Tyrion is the victim here! :bawl:

Yeah, threatening to kill/geld the king in front of his Kingsguard and court is pretty dangerous. I'm not saying he's a victim. But he risked his life and straight up insulted the king to protect Sansa and all he gets from her is indifference at best. Joffrey or Cersei could have easily used that as an excuse to have Tyrion executed. And eventually, they did, as they were later used in the trial as evidence that Tyrion wanted to kill Joffrey.

Yeah, threatening to kill/geld the king in front of his Kingsguard and court is pretty dangerous. I'm not saying he's a victim. But he risked his life and straight up insulted the king to protect Sansa and all he gets from her is indifference at best.

None of that changes the underlying facts of the situation, which are that he's her enemy. They are not on the same side, and do not want the same things.

Yeah, threatening to kill/geld the king in front of his Kingsguard and court is pretty dangerous. I'm not saying he's a victim. But he risked his life and straight up insulted the king to protect Sansa and all he gets from her is indifference at best.

Uhm.. no Sansa is relieved that there wouldn't be no bedding.

Another small point about Sansa not kneeling at her wedding - this was sprung on her that day and she had zero time to process it. It was not about Tyrion specifically, it was her small show of defiance to her situation. Also, a choice between Tyrion and Lancel given to her right before the ceremony is no choice at all. Better the devil you know.

Another small point about Sansa not kneeling at her wedding - this was sprung on her that day and she had zero time to process it. It was not about Tyrion specifically, it was her small show of defiance to her situation. Also, a choice between Tyrion and Lancel given to her right before the ceremony is no choice at all. Better the devil you know.

I always cheer whenever I come to that part. The Starks do not kneel (Torrhen doesn't count) :cool4:

Archived