Season 4 Impressions

Westeros

It seems that "sloppy writing" has morphed into "unpopular reception by (some/most of/any of) the readers". These are not the same thing at all.

I think it's very popular to claim "bad writing" when someone doesn't like something. It makes it sound more important, and is easy to fling around. Actually critiquing the writing is much more difficult and time consuming, and presupposes a reader that is able to write effective criticism. That's why we see so many on this site (and elsewhere I am sure) resorting to the claim of "bad writing" when what they really mean is it didn't work for them.

My impression so far is that all of Danys arc seems to be dedicated to building up to her fucking Daario. Hes the only character desides her who gets more than a line of dialogue. Hes had multiple scenes, invented scenes, been given other characters stuff just to have more scenes with him. Every other characters story like Jorah and Barristan has been pushed into the background and are basically just extras season 3 onwards.

If this carries on for the whole season then I ain't forgiving HBO. Jorahs one of my favorite characters from the series and I was really looking forward to seeing the tragic scenes from ASOS play out. HBO chose to focus on titilating scenes teasing that we get to see Emilia Clarke naked and having sex again. Rather than, you know, drama, and, story; or material from the books. Its getting really obnoxious how much focus they are continuing to put and their total disregard for established characters and book canon just so they can tease sex scenes.

Building up goodwill for Jaime during season 3 and ruining it by having him rape Cersei - I call that bad writing. It leads me to think that Jaime will probably have a bad end so the producers aren't even going to try to give him a decent arc. Same thing with Stannis.

In light of the conflicting reports about what exactly they were going for with that scene, I would not take it as indicative of Jaime's long-term fate. I suspect they did not think they were filming a rape but they will never cop to it now following the negative reaction by the audience and the media to the scene.

Here is an odd thing.

I notice over on IMDB that Dany's story is , apparently, not in the last 3 episodes.

However, when it comes to future information about anything on IMDB it's generally worthless.

Don't expect the East to be in episode 9 or any of the rest of Westeros.

Can't see the show departing without Meereen in episode 10.

In fact Alex Graves and D&D have hinted at some heavy CGI-VFX stuff in E10 which I suspect to be dragon stuff.

Here is an odd thing.

I notice over on IMDB that Dany's story is , apparently, not in the last 3 episodes.

However, when it comes to future information about anything on IMDB it's generally worthless.

Don't expect the East to be in episode 9 or any of the rest of Westeros.

Can't see the show departing without Meereen in episode 10.

In fact Alex Graves and D&D have hinted at some heavy CGI-VFX stuff in E10 which I suspect to be dragon stuff.

Creepy Alex Graves directed the episode that appears to involve Jorah's banishment, so we'll definitely see more of Dany's stuff in ep 8 or ep 10.

Creepy Alex Graves directed the episode that appears to involve Jorah's banishment, so we'll definitely see more of Dany's stuff in ep 8 or ep 10.

Wow, you don't have to go about calling him "creepy" Alex Grave, that is extremely rude. Sure, maybe the sept scene was a bit too subtle, but Alex Graves deserves respect for the amazing work he's done in the general throughout the last two seasons. He's easily the best director since Alan Taylor, and all 4 of his episodes so far have been amazing.

Excellent, if you don't watch any more, you won't need to comment any more either. That's a win-win for all of us.

Of course, you are going to continue to watch, and you are going to continue to complain. And you will continue to stamp your foot and declare you are going to refuse to watch any more. That's just how these things go.

So much of this haha

The show has certainly become more confident with changing and altering stuff. I like the season very much so far and I didn't flip tables at the Jaime/Cersei stuff because in the books I felt that no consent she gave afterwards could undo the fact that he had overridden her will when he initiated sex so I had mixed feelings reading it as well. Great show so far. Bring on the rest.

I'm enjoying this season, but I think it suffers from "too much awesome shit happening in episodes 8 through 10 so they have to put the weaker episodes elsewhere" syndrome.

I personally don't think there's been a single weak episode (Two Swords and Breaker of Chains are far better than The Night Lands, Bear and Maiden, The Climb, Man Without Honor, etc).

The pacing this season, to me, has been amazing.

If this carries on for the whole season then I ain't forgiving HBO. Jorahs one of my favorite characters from the series and I was really looking forward to seeing the tragic scenes from ASOS play out. HBO chose to focus on titilating scenes teasing that we get to see Emilia Clarke naked and having sex again. Rather than, you know, drama, and, story; or material from the books. Its getting really obnoxious how much focus they are continuing to put and their total disregard for established characters and book canon just so they can tease sex scenes.

Jorah is comparatively a more prominent character on the show than he was in the books.

People get so up in arms about the sex scenes. They happen in the books. Dany DID have sex with Daario. Why shouldn't they show it?

Ok we know what episode 9 is about.

Looks as if next episode we get the a lot of Sansa story.

O yes episode 8, has a Big Moment.

Poor Kate Dickie! Looks like she only get two episodes this season and that is it for the series. She even did films during season 3 (not used or saved?), and was apparently back for this season. Liked the actress.

So looks like more walk about for Arya, but at least something happens episode 10.

But what of Brienne? I am lost as to where that is going.

I think it is the way it is shown...too many brothel scenes and Craster Keep stuff for the faint of heart.

In comparison to previous seasons, there is actually not much at all. There's only been nudity in three episodes, and the first and this one were the only ones where it was there for more than 10 seconds. Season 3 and 4 have really toned down on it, and are unfairly being called out.

I personally don't think there's been a single weak episode (Two Swords and Breaker of Chains are far better than The Night Lands, Bear and Maiden, The Climb, Man Without Honor, etc).

The pacing this season, to me, has been amazing.

There were cast/writer interviews leading up to Season 4 to the effect that Season 4, rather than having a single "big" episode, would have a series of climaxes, and that's been borne out so far this season (fight at the inn in episode 1, PW in episode 2, Meereen siege and big Dany speech in episode 3, big WW reveal in episode 4, Craster's Keep sequence in episode 5, Tyrion's trial in episode 6, etc.). I think it's really worked. I hope they take the same approach in Season 5 and keep things at full boil throughout the season as opposed to trying to save things or put things off for a big climactic episode later in the season.

There were cast/writer interviews leading up to Season 4 to the effect that Season 4, rather than having a single "big" episode, would have a series of climaxes, and that's been borne out so far this season (fight at the inn in episode 1, PW in episode 2, Meereen siege and big Dany speech in episode 3, big WW reveal in episode 4, Craster's Keep sequence in episode 5, Tyrion's trial in episode 6, etc.). I think it's really worked. I hope they take the same approach in Season 5 and keep things at full boil throughout the season as opposed to trying to save things or put things off for a big climactic episode later in the season.

The ending of season 1 was elegantly spectacular, but not as big a spectacle as season's 2 Blackwater.

Season 3's biggest moment was not even CGI VFX laden, there may have been some, but the RW could have been shot in 1948 by the top makeup and stunt composition people of that time... of course even Hollywood sensibilities and maybe the Hayes Code would have prevented it being as graphic.

(Anyway the S3's RW came in 2nd , in my book, to Episode 4's DRACARYS... which blew me away.)

Anyway... I watch the show for story and character development anyway, I love to have my sense of drama engaged , a long scene of great dialog entertains me as much as having a giant Wildfire explosion. (Thank god! for that. The N.Y. times , two weeks ago, in their summer movies section, did a tongue-in-cheek satire on top genre films , how many , timing and aesthetics of explosions in 'comic-book' films. The worst film of lot had the most explosions!)

D and D and Neil Marshall have hush hush about it but from what I have read in outside sources Episode 9 will top Blackwater! My guess is that will be the case.

Alex Graves and either D or the other D have mentioned something VFX spectacular happen in episode 10 this season... that's a bit mysterious too.

However a good story well acted trumps stuff like that all the time.

Archived