[BOOK SPOILERS] Nitpick Without Repercussion

teemo

After a second watching , a nit pick observation.

Excluding the 1st season, seems Dave and Dan now only do Journeyman duty in sequence writing.

They do hit some funny quips , I don't think Jerome Flynn is ad libbing.

(I mean when Tryion asks him what he would be after many days horse back ride, he say's "In bed, I'm getting old."

Har!)(Peter Vaughan "Kings Landing" quip was really funny.)

Wrote some good dialog for Pedro Pascal , the rest is workman like.

Scene construction and sequencing is ok, nothing riveting.

They still seem to be learning as directors.

When it comes to a set-piece from the book (RW and Dacarys) their writing skills come to the fore.

The whole Arya-Hound back and forth, the tavern banter and then the fight are just a gem!

(I totally disagree with the negative comments about that scene in this thread, it really only differs from the book in details. The whole 'chicken' thing has gone viral on the net, with good reason.)

My nit pick is that I hope Dave and Dan are not getting off their mark because the territory ahead is going to take some real imagination and tough work to adapt.

Bryan Cogman wrote two this year, we shall see, but maybe he ought to write more.

Bryan Cogman wrote two this year, we shall see, but maybe he ought to write more.

If it was up to me Bryan and George would be the only writers on the show. Cogman seems only second to Martin when it comes to understanding and appreciation of the books. He's also the guy that is in charge of making sure all the details are correct, like sigils, so he knows his shit. He also wrote Stannis' scenes in 3x5 where he was with his family, which were just wonderful. He doesn't seem to be anti-Stannis like D&D are.

If it was up to me Bryan and George would be the only writers on the show. Cogman seems only second to Martin when it comes to understanding and appreciation of the books. He's also the guy that is in charge of making sure all the details are correct, like sigils, so he knows his shit. He also wrote Stannis' scenes in 3x5 where he was with his family, which were just wonderful. He doesn't seem to be anti-Stannis like D&D are.

Actually, Cogman devised (and is quite proud of, I might add) the Dragonstone arc for season 3. He's defended the show's portrayal of Stannis quite vocally in interviews and the Q&A session he had over at WiC.net. He said, to a fan who raised the question of whether or not there was an active decision on the show to make Stannis less likable: "look, in the end you and I might just view Stannis differently. I don’t think he’s a “villain” but he is a decidedly “grey” character, in the books and in the show. He ain’t Ned Stark."

While I agree – him and Martin are definitely the best writers – this is something I always feel the need to call people out on when they get too carried away bashing D&D.

^ Hmmm, I must reconsider some of my praise for Cogman then. I just assumed he liked Stannis more, since the way he was written when interacting with his family was much different than anything else from him (written by D&D) that season.

Actually, Cogman devised (and is quite proud of, I might add) the Dragonstone arc for season 3. He's defended the show's portrayal of Stannis quite vocally in interviews and the Q&A session he had over at WiC.net. He said, to a fan who raised the question of whether or not there was an active decision on the show to make Stannis less likable: "look, in the end you and I might just view Stannis differently. I don’t think he’s a “villain” but he is a decidedly “grey” character, in the books and in the show. He ain’t Ned Stark."

While I agree, him and Martin are indeed the best writers on GOT, this is something I always feel the need to call people out on when they get too carried away bashing D&D.

I must read ASoIaF differently, because I agree with Cogman about Stannis, he seems , with a tad of exaggeration to portray Stannis as George does. In fact I can't exactly figure out GRRM's construction of Stannis as a character, seems to either lose a grip on him or 'underwrite' him often.

^ Hmmm, I must reconsider some of my praise for Cogman then. I just assumed he liked Stannis more, since the way he was written when interacting with his family was much different than anything else from him (written by D&D) that season.

That brings up another nit about D&D.

They really have a 'generals eye' like a David Lean or a Stanley Kubrick (and some others) for picking their captains.

Production design across the board is just superb, HBO stable of directors (there must be more than the ones they have used... they sure need an 'actors' director for Emilia Clarke who can rise to the occasion, like the first season,... DRACARYS last season, where she seemed a totally different actress!), even final say on VFX , they have an 'eye'.

Yet they have said and indirectly it looks it, they are way overworked and seem exhausted. If they could find some other producers on D&D's 'wavelength' I think it would help the show.

I'm confused why can't they introduce Un-Cat?

Well the time to fish her out of the river seems like it's come and gone. So they probably have to change that part, at least, if they do introduce her.

Well the time to fish her out of the river seems like it's come and gone. So they probably have to change that part, at least, if they do introduce her.

I just assumed she has been fished out off screen, like in the books. We have no idea what the Brotherhood has been up to in the last few weeks of show time. The reveal will come later, either when she hangs a Frey or meets Brienne.

Edit: oh right Nymeria pulled her out in the books, not the Brotherhood. So that minor change would be required.

I just assumed she has been fished out off screen, like in the books. We have no idea what the Brotherhood has been up to in the last few weeks of show time. The reveal will come later, either when she hangs a Frey or meets Brienne.

Edit: oh right Nymeria pulled her out in the books, not the Brotherhood. So that minor change would be required.

Agreed. They probably will just rely on a big reveal for her character.

Dragging her out of the water and reviving her onscreen would be like reading Tywin/Walder's letters about the Red Wedding. It would ruin the shock value.

I'm assuming she will be introduced in Brienne's storyline like she was in the books.

She's an essential character. She's not written off.

I don't think we have to see the actual fishing out. We already know the Brotherhood is around, and Thoros's abilities were already shown to the viewing audience after the fight with The Hound. I suspect we will just join LS at some point in the story, and then, learn how it was Beric who gave her the kiss and is no more himself?

I'm an equal opportunity history geek. I'd be hard pressed to think of a people or place or time that I don't enjoy reading and/or learning about. That reminds, me though, have you checked out the Viking show that's been on The History Channel, or one of them, maybe H2? It's a drama and I've been wondering if it's good?

Yes It is quite good - a very decent drama. People need to be reminded that it isn't a documentary though!

Yes It is quite good - a very decent drama. People need to be reminded that it isn't a documentary though!

Thank you. And to the previous poster who answered the question, I've been doing lots of thread hopping, LOL

I remember when it started last season, right before the return of GOT, I was worried they were just throwing out some swords and history to get the GoT viewers, actually. I have to say, the commercials look interesting, perhaps I'll give it a try on my OnDemand, once I stop obssessing on ASoIaF and GoT, that is. ;)

I had heard they dropped Coldhands

They best not drop LS

They best not

I can't see this happening...it sort of removes Brienne from proceedings too, since her character basically revolves around LS throughout AFOC, so I can't imagine what they'd do with her otherwise.

You have not gotten used to the way Dave and Dan re-order the time line differently from the show?

So, while I was riding home in the rain and mud last night I had a few thoughts about Jon's timeline in the book and the current TV series. I'm a little concerned about the nature of his role at Castle Black, given that:

• He's come back from his journey with the wildlings, but they aren't actually hot on his heels.
  • Therefore there won't be the small battle in Castle Black itself , with the Thenns. In the TV show they are waiting for Mance's attack, rather than trying to be able to just open the gates for him
  • Janos Slynt, Bowen Marsh and the other high officers are already back at Castle Black, given Jon the once over before he has any chance to prove himself in battle, like he does in the books
  • Jon will now have no reason to 'hold the wall' during Mance's attack on the gates, as Donal Noye won't have had that responsibility himself, nor give it to him and then die in the tunnels fighting Mag the Mighty
  • It's this show of leadership IMO that is a key reason Jon is able to be elected to the role of Lorn Commander. Without this experience he's just a lad who went off and killed The Halfhand and hung around with the Wildlings.
  • Therefore Jon's future position as LC will be ridiculous on the basis of the internal narrative causality being played out in the TV show

I think they've butchered the story too much for the sake of added drama and are destroying the internal consistency required to carry on the storyline. Unless of course that storyline isn't very important in the long run, which who can really know.

These don't seem to be insurmountable, or even that difficult to resolve

Now that Tormund is reinforced by the Thenns, they could easily raid Castle Black. What Jon THINKS is their plan may not be the ACTUAL plan, or they could deviate from plan.

The remaining officers could lead rangings north to evaluate Jon's tale, or Sam's or head to the other Night's Watch Castles with ease, or be tricked into following Tormund/Thenns who could raid and then retreat to draw off CB defenders. Jon would not be allowed to go, as he's got a cloud of suspicion over him.

Once this distraction raid plan has been executed, Jon is one of few left to hold the Gate. Which he then does. And we're right where we need to be.

Last year Grey Worm spoke not a word of The Common Tongue.

Kind of bothered me he did in this episode.

I think , in the books, I remember Daario speaking 'Valyrian' but he does in this episode, so that makes sense, finally.

Oddly it was him and Grey Worm speaking.

Last year Grey Worm spoke not a word of The Common Tongue.

Kind of bothered me he did in this episode.

I think , in the books, I remember Daario speaking 'Valyrian' but he does in this episode, so that makes sense, finally.

Oddly it was him and Grey Worm speaking.

When did Grey Worm speak the Common Tongue?

Archived