Football LXX - Chihuahuas Rising

Zoë Sumra

There would certainly be something missing if Arsenal doesn't take part in the CL next season.

I can understand you criticizm on Podolski and I support it. The sad thing is that he is one of Löws favourites and will be nominated for the World Cup, I think. Does he give interviews in english? Because his german interviews are just funny. The guy is dumb as a rock. In Germany we make a lot of fun of his interviews. One of my favourites qutes by him: "Football is like chess - except there's no dice!" :lmao:

I don't live in England so don't see most of his interviews, but he is definitely one of the most well liked players on the team. His fan interaction on social media is second to none on Arsenal. I have read interviews from others that he's the joker on the team and keeps everyone smiling. I'm a huge fan of him as a person and his left foot, but the rest of the game is completely reliant on everyone else to set him up perfectly (ala Ramsey's header today) and that just doesn't work here. I was surprised that he has 100+ caps for Germany (good goal record too with 46) because I just don't see anything about his game that would translate to that amount of play but then again, I guess if you have that many quality midfielders and play Podolski off someone up top, he can be really useful.

I was surprised that he has 100+ caps for Germany (good goal record too with 46) because I just don't see anything about his game that would translate to that amount of play but then again, I guess if you have that many quality midfielders and play Podolski off someone up top, he can be really useful.

He started out in the national team when there was a real dearth of good players, especially in the attacking positions. He played as Klose's strike partner up front in the 4-4-2 used by Klinsmann and Löw in his early years and the two had a great understanding (sharing two languages helped, I guess). When he transitioned to the wing he became a lot less indispensible, but keep in mind that he also scored 46 goals in those 112 games for Germany; that's only three less than England's most successful international goalscorer of all time.

I don't live in England so don't see most of his interviews, but he is definitely one of the most well liked players on the team. His fan interaction on social media is second to none on Arsenal. I have read interviews from others that he's the joker on the team and keeps everyone smiling. I'm a huge fan of him as a person and his left foot, but the rest of the game is completely reliant on everyone else to set him up perfectly (ala Ramsey's header today) and that just doesn't work here. I was surprised that he has 100+ caps for Germany (good goal record too with 46) because I just don't see anything about his game that would translate to that amount of play but then again, I guess if you have that many quality midfielders and play Podolski off someone up top, he can be really useful.

Yeah, he is great with the right teammates. On which position does a play at Arsenal? If I remember correctly, his best time in Germany and for the national team was when he together with Miro Klose, who is a great penalty area striker (language gets a little in the way here) and who shot most of the goals. Podolski came always from the left side and and had the perfect teammate to whom he could pass the ball.

Right now I'm noticing how hard it is do talk about football in english...

He started out in the national team when there was a real dearth of good players, especially in the attacking positions. He played as Klose's strike partner up front in the 4-4-2 used by Klinsmann and Löw in his early years and the two had a great understanding (sharing two languages helped, I guess). When he transitioned to the wing he became a lot less indispensible, but keep in mind that he also scored 46 goals in those 112 games for Germany; that's only three less than England's most successful international goalscorer of all time.

:agree: Much better said than I have!

Makes sense. Wenger was asked today if he'd consider playing two up front and he said he has thought of it so maybe we'll see an alignment like that in the future though I doubt it. Think it's a bit late in the game now and Podolski is likely gone in the summer. I do respect his goal scoring record, just wish we used him to his strengths more than putting him on the wing of a 4-2-3-1.

Yeah, he is great with the right teammates. On which position does a play at Arsenal? If I remember correctly, his best time in Germany and for the national team was when he together with Miro Klose, who is a great penalty area striker (language gets a little in the way here) and who shot most of the goals. Podolski came always from the left side and and had the perfect teammate to whom he could pass the ball.

He plays on the LW of a 4-2-3-1. It's really not the best position for him from what I've seen.

:agree: Much better said than I have!

Takes a while to get the jargon more or less right in another language. Reading these threads is certainly educational in that respect.;)

Makes sense. Wenger was asked today if he'd consider playing two up front and he said he has thought of it so maybe we'll see an alignment like that in the future though I doubt it. Think it's a bit late in the game now and Podolski is likely gone in the summer. I do respect his goal scoring record, just wish we used him to his strengths more than putting him on the wing of a 4-2-3-1.

I don't think he's played up front since Löw switched to 4-2-3-1, but he has had pretty good games playing on the left, though usually not as an out and out winger (on the other hand I'm not sure those still exist today). I wouldn't look at him as first choice for Germany, but it's nice to have him around and he seems generally well liked by other players, too. Plus he's one of two or three players who could dethrone Lothar Matthäus as our most capped player, that would be nice to see.

Takes a while to get the jargon more or less right in another language. Reading these threads is certainly educational in that respect. ;)

I don't think he's played up front since Löw switched to 4-2-3-1, but he has had pretty good games playing on the left, though usually not as an out and out winger (on the other hand I'm not sure those still exist today). I wouldn't look at him as first choice for Germany, but it's nice to have him around and he seems generally well liked by other players, too. Plus he's one of two or three players who could dethrone Lothar Matthäus as our most capped player, that would be nice to see.

I hope so! I've never really talked with someone about football in english, I think. It's like my first few weeks in college again. Physics and Maths are really difficult if you don't know the english words for all the technical terms ;)

I don't even know if it would be better if Podolski would be our most capped player. At least he seems to be on the same IQ-Level as Matthäus. :D

I don't even know if it would be better if Podolski would be our most capped player. At least he seems to be on the same IQ-Level as Matthäus.

Matthäus IQ isn't really the issue, it's that he seems to have alienated the vast majority of people he's worked and/or played with over the years. His best friends in the footballing world seem to be a number of sports "journalists", and even those guys have mostly given up trying to push him whenever a mangager position opens up anywhere.

Plus the whole dating high schoolers less than half his age thing was rather skeevy.

Compared to that Podolski seems a much nicer guy to have at the top of the list. The chess quote you brought up earlier actually came from a comedian doing a Podolski impression, by the way.;)

Well, finally Arsenal get a win after however many matches without one (the FA Cup semi doesn't really count as it was on penalties).

Now I am a bit more confident that we will get that 4th place spot. I don't think we will win our last four matches (we are bound to trip up against some desperate relegation team like Norwich) but I don't think we'll need to because Everton are bound to drop points as well. It would help if we could bang in a better goal difference though when we're playing some of the weaker teams, since Everton are slightly ahead on that count.

Yeah, I don't really see us winning five out of five, considering that we play both Manchester teams. Winning all five would aslo mean we would have won twelve in a row, which I consider highly unlikely anyway. So we'll probably drop a few points along the way..

I hope for 10 points from the last 15, winning three and drawing one. Should be achievealbe, but it requires us to be on top of our game. I wouldn't really be surprised to see Arsenal win their remaining fixtures, though.

Ubung macht der Meister ;)

Matthäus IQ isn't really the issue

Have a look at who he's MARRIED while living in Serbia - his IQ definitely is the issue ;)

I've read a very good article on Hillsborough tragedy on one of Serbian news websites.

It's an interview with Guy Delauney, Liverpool-born-and-raised BBC correspondent from Belgrade.

Basically he's giving his own perspective to events that led to and followed after the tragedy, resulting changes in football and, most of all, how it affected Liverpool people and football club.

It's in Serbian, so I don't think it will be of use to anyone, but the link is here.

I hope for 10 points from the last 15, winning three and drawing one. Should be achievealbe, but it requires us to be on top of our game. I wouldn't really be surprised to see Arsenal win their remaining fixtures, though.

Yeah, I think 10 more points form five games is a pretty achievable goal for Everton. You're definitely good enough that I don't think you'll take losses to both Manchesters (something that Arsenal unfortunately can't say!).

On the other hand that means Arsenal need 10 more points from 4 games (I'm assuming that we won't want to tie on goal difference as Everton's is slightly better, and I don't see us scoring bucketloads of goals to improve our own). It leaves room for one draw but that's still not a whole lot of margin for error from an Arsenal team that has really lost momentum in this second half. And a loss in any of those four games could quite possibly sink our 4th place hopes.

Yea, thought that was awesome though would have loved if one of the channels was a Whip Around Red Zone type channel which flipped through the key moments of each game. Not that it mattes to me since I'll be in the UK, but I did think it was cool.

Archived