(Spoilers for Non-Readers) Stoneheart S4

LHF

Ok, ok, they delayed her. But, if she is completely cut, I'm out. Really, people don't seem to be annoyed by this because they don't like her storyline. But Catelyn is a major character and her trajetory as Lady Stoneheart is part of her character progression. You can't just disappear with Tyrion, nor Arya, nor Brienne... Why disappear with Catelyn Stark? After all the hints we've been given?

She MUST be in and D&D should at least say on an interview what are their plans for her. I think the fans deserve that much.

Alex Graves talks about LS not being in the finale in this article-

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/06/16/game-of-thrones-why-no-lady-stoneheart/

How could they not even consider (sounds like that) LS as the final scene and get confused about the idea 'taking off on the internet' it was the PERFECT cliffhanger and the ASOS (season 4 material) epilogue! Obviously, people expected it! :bang:

I think she might be cut. :frown5:

yeah this says it she is not cut. Never planned for "this" season. She will appear next season when she meet Brienne and Pod

Ok, ok, they delayed her. But, if she is completely cut, I'm out. Really, people don't seem to be annoyed by this because they don't like her storyline. But Catelyn is a major character and her trajetory as Lady Stoneheart is part of her character progression. You can't just disappear with Tyrion, nor Arya, nor Brienne... Why disappear with Catelyn Stark? After all the hints we've been given?

She MUST be in and D&D should at least say on an interview what are their plans for her. I think the fans deserve that much.

this now they need to come forward with all the backlash they get. But she is not cut that Graves interview said it - Not planned "this" season

Never again. From this point I'm keeping my expectations as low as possible. No LSH, no Manderlys + North Remembers, no Victarion and Euron, no Rickon/Blackfish updates, a lot of invented storylines, uninteresting storylines, more whitewashing, limited Stannis/Jon interaction...

Never again. From this point I'm keeping my expectations as low as possible. No LSH, no Manderlys + North Remembers, no Victarion and Euron, no Rickon/Blackfish updates, a lot of invented storylines, uninteresting storylines, more whitewashing, limited Stannis/Jon interaction...

lol yup, I think that's the only way I can keep watching the show. Go into every episode expecting the worst.

I would stop watching it, but I would rather be spoiled by the show than comments from friends, facebook, twitter, forums, etc. >__>

this now they need to come forward with all the backlash they get. But she is not cut that Graves interview said it - Not planned "this" season

I don't know, did you see the way he talks about her ? He basically say it's not worth it to bring back Michelle Fairley to play "a zombie that kills people" : he completely misunderstands the character and obviously they (writers) haven't given her much thought; knowing the writing for season 5 is done, it seems all in all a pretty good indication she's been cut.

How are they misunderstanding her character? She *is* "a zombie that kills people" as far as the actress who is playing her is concerned. She had very little dialogue and her motivation is very simple. She is significant for the plot, yes, and she drives a lot of other characters but as far as "is it a role worthy of Michelle Fairley" is concerned they may have a point.

How are they misunderstanding her character? She *is* "a zombie that kills people" as far as the actress who is playing her is concerned. She had very little dialogue and her motivation is very simple. She is significant for the plot, yes, and she drives a lot of other characters but as far as "is it a role worthy of Michelle Fairley" is concerned they may have a point.

A zombie is a mindless creature that just growls and randomly kills people.

LS is Catelyn's tragedy at its highest : she's not the woman she once was, but she remembers what was taken away from her, and she has nothing to "linger" for except getting revenge from those wh wronged her, while still trying to find her daughters. This is Cat, after everything, not being able to rest in peace, and having nothing to lose.

This is ridiculous. Zombies don't have emotions, they don't feel pained, angry or vengeful, they just kill people. LS has emotion, and that's what Michelle Fairley is perfect at conveying. So what she doesn't have much dialogue in the books? The writers aren't void of imagination (though some here would argue you that). They aren't incapable of expanding on what is described in-passing in the books.

We could simplify Alfie Allen as "The guy that gets tortured" or Patrick Malahide as "Just another asshole dad" or Iwan Rheon as "The guy that does the torturing, but don't worry, somehow it'll all tie in to the whole story later on." Why is Fairley on a pedestal all of a sudden?

The only reason LS isn't in the show now is because this really is D&D's show, and they've made the conscious decision that she isn't vital to the story they want to tell. Which would be...totally okay with me, if it weren't for the fact they're out to give justice to ASOIAF and GRRM's writing.

I don't know, did you see the way he talks about her ? He basically say it's not worth it to bring back Michelle Fairley to play "a zombie that kills people" : he completely misunderstands the character and obviously they (writers) haven't given her much thought; knowing the writing for season 5 is done, it seems all in all a pretty good indication she's been cut.

Graves is a director of Season 4, he's taking a break for Season 5, so I believe he only knows about Season 4 writing (since directing that was his job).

I disagree that there needs to be substantial material in one season surrounding LS to include her (and Fairley) in the series. We were left hanging on a White Walker revelation at the beginning of 1x01 and the end of 4x04, heck the whole show is established on several disconnected storylines expected to later on all have relevance with one another. LS is not different from this.

Alex Graves talks about LS not being in the finale in this article-

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/06/16/game-of-thrones-why-no-lady-stoneheart/

How could they not even consider (sounds like that) LS as the final scene and get confused about the idea 'taking off on the internet' it was the PERFECT cliffhanger and the ASOS (season 4 material) epilogue! Obviously, people expected it! :bang:

I think she might be cut. :frown5:

Okay, I'm going to quote part of that article here, because otherwise this just get's way too complicated:

Graves continued: “They [showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss] have such a challenge adapting the books into a really focused television experience. It’s very hard, it’s very complicated, it’s much harder then they’ve been given credit for, I think — and they do a brilliant job. But to bring back Michelle Fairley, one of the greatest actresses around, to be a zombie for a little while — and just kill people? It is really sort of, what are we doing with that? How does it play into the whole story in a way that we’re really going to like?

She is NOT just a zombie who kills people, although I do see their point that she does not become truly relevant to the main storyline until she meets Brienne. I hope and pray (for D&Ds sake) that Brienne WILL meet her in season 5. If not, they will have MASSIVE problems and a REALLY pissed off reader base that will stop watching.

It just didn’t end up being a part of what was going to happen this season. And finally one [more] reason: In case you didn’t notice, a lot happens this season … To add that in is something they opted out of. But what’s funny is that it was never going to be in the season, yet it took off on the Internet like it was going to happen.”

Okay, so clearly they do not understand how important certain details of the books (keeping iconic lines like "Only Cat" or keeping LS as the end of the ASOS storyline) are to the readers. I understand the situation they are in (having to cater to hardcore book fans just as much as casual TV viewers) and I understand that they would focus on the latter since they make up a much bigger part of the viewer base, but REALLY? LS was never planned to be in this season? It never even occured to them that this make book readers mad. WTF?

I too am thinking they left Stoneheart for season 5 because there aren't that many shocking or huge events in AFfC/ADwD.

You have a few like "For the Watch", Varys and his little birds, "Aegon" (real or fake), and that's it really.

Well, given how they are accelerating certain storylines, we are likely to get:

- the Battle of Meereen

- the Battle of Winterfell

- mutiny at the Wall

- Cersei's walk of shame, or at least her trial

- Varys shafting whoever will be Hand of the King after that

- The Grand Dornish Conspiracy

There are also certain storylines which have already surpassed their AFFC/ADWD material and are now in full TWOW territory:

- Bran

- Sansa

One can only hope that Brienne meeting LS will be in there as well or there's going to be a riot.

After reading that interview I think the omission of LS (and the finale as a whole) is one big FU from D&D to the book readers.

Honestly, I have to agree with some others about the continuing foreshadowing of LS throughout the season. Have D&D never heard of Chekov's gun?

Guys slow down. ASoIaF fans have been doing this since the wait for Feast for Crows. We build up these unrealistic expectations while we wait for something and when it doesn't happen (or happen as quickly as we would like) we complain and whine. Think about it from a television point of view. If the very last scene of season four was Lady Stoneheart, that sets up the idea that she is going to be a big part of the next season. When shows do those types of cliffhangers that becomes the central storyline for the next season. Not to compare the shows but Once Upon a Time ended their season with a tease for a Frozen based Elsa character... probably going to be a major part of their plot next season.

That was a pretty jam packed episode but honestly I think they set up LS in season five perfectly. What else are Brienne and Pod going to do now? To say "I'm out" because they didn't tease a character at the end of the season with which there are only 2-4 scenes of materials even written so far on. She's going to be a character, she's going to play a major role in the books as well as the show. Relax. The timelines need to be more fluid in the show. Jaime is still going to have at least two episodes in King's Landing before he even ventures north. It doesn't take much to set up LS for next season. And I for one think it will be all the more dramatic to have Catelyn be gone for over an entire season and have the reveal be like episode 4 as opposed to an episode 10 last night that already has people talking.

They're obviously scratching their heads as to how to handle the reveal, and I don't blame them.

Whatever purpose she may serve in the story, and however poignant her transformation into Lady Stoneheart may be, it's just really difficult to sell a character coming back from the dead to the general audience. Yes, they've done Berric already but that wasn't as extreme as what happens with Cat.

Um this years finale began the process of reviving the mountain and turning him into a Frankenstein zombie monster. They do not have a problem with resurrection because they are doing the Robert strong story.

I got really annoyed that THEY DIDN'T SHOW HER. I MEAN I HAD MY CAMERA READY AND VIDEOTAPE MY FAMILY'S REACTION AND POST IT ON YOUTUBE AND MAYBE GET SOME LIKES.

I was totally disappointed. The season 4 ended with no cliffhanger at all. Boo.

But I still love GoT :(

Archived