Use of Humor in Sci-fi/Fantasy

Howdyphillip

Well, I guess I'll be the lame-o to bring up GRRM in this thread. Dolorous Edd is freaking hilarious.

Actually a great idea. I think every rec thread from here on should no longer be full of Stanek, but rather just twenty people listing GRRM until the lock.

I am kinda confused. Are we looking for books that focus on comedy first and foremost a la Adams, Prachett, and Moore? Or more serious books with humor laced through them?

In the example in my original post, I listed both types. Mything Adventures was first and foremost satire, while Stainless Steel Rat was a more serious tone that had extremely funny moments throughout.

L. Sprague DeCamp had some really funny stuff in his books. I don't remember the book off hand but I still remember the character of 'Da Red Bool.'

For sheer gut busting laughter, it has to be Harry Harrison. The Technicolour Time Machine, and Star Smashers Of The Galaxy Rangers both had me gasping for air at various points.

• 5 months later...

I find the Night Watch series (Sergei Lukyanenko) to have a lot of incidental humor in them. The series is basically a satire of common fantasy/modern paranormal fiction tropes and a great deal of humor comes from the deconstruction of these tropes (or even the premise; the great, endless war of good and evil, bureaucracy style).

Abercrombie for sure. Erikson's Malazan series too. Neal Stephenson. Those are all serious SF/F books with good humor.

Douglas Adams, Terry Pratchett and Grant Naylor write SF/F comedy that are all quite funny. Obviously a different category.

Bujold, John Scalzi, Asprin, Drew Hayes and some others try to inject comedy or write comedic SF/F, but with less success than those above.

There was another thread at some point about humorous books and authors.

Well, I guess I'll be the lame-o to bring up GRRM in this thread. Dolorous Edd is freaking hilarious.

For some reason I found him soooooo much funnier on my second reading.

EDIT: From Malazan, Tehol and Bugg's dialogue is hilarious.

Agreed- I'd also add the Hound (specifically the chapter when he duels Dondarrion) , echo the Lannister brothers, also chapter with Cerseu's New small council (especially Aurane Waters). Victarion and Damphair's chapters are also hilarious, but its not clear to me how intentional this is.

Bakker isn't funny at all, but shoukd get points for leaving so much low hanging comedic fruit for fans to beat to a pulp.

Abercrombie, certainly. A very black humour, though. Glokta, Morveer, Cosca, and Friendly steal the show.

Yeah. Glokta makes me laugh the most in the First Law. He's hilarious. I don't really find any of the other characters particularly funny. Though I guess Glokta's Practicals were funny too.

Pratchett is always a laugh. Anything that involves Death is usually great. Even his young adult/teen Discworld books are funny. Especially Granny Weatherwax.

Diddo, on Tehol and Bugg. I'm almost done Last Arguments of Kings and without a doubt its the funniest fantasy I've ever read. All those mentioned above, and Black Dow has had a couple one-liners where I just can't stop laughing. Abercrombie does it better than anyone else.

I haven't gotten to Last Argument of Kings (I recently finished Before They Are Hanged), but Half a King some some priceless moments.

- Jim C Hines' The Legend of Jig Dragonslayer is great fun, told from a goblin pov, making him the hero.

- A. Lee Martinez writes amusing novels, each lampooning a different speculative genre. They are also stand-alone, allowing one to enjoy a single novel without having to read the rest of a series, as well.

- For those who like their funny in small doses, there is the new annual anthology called Unidentified Funny Objects. Genres included are Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Supers, Horror and more.

- Paul S. Kemp's Egil & Nix books are more serious Sword & Sorcery, but with lots of black humor in them (look in particular for the hilarious interactions between Nix and a taciturn magical key in book 2).

- And of course, no SFF humor list would be complete without the now out-of-print (why can't they Kindle it, at least?) Villains by Necessity (author: Eve Forward), in which a different Samalander saves a fantasy world, by being very bad indeed.

Archived