(Book spoilers) Nikolaj Coster-Waldau is brilliant

He's probably quite underappreciated compared to Dinklage's masterclass in this episode, but damn I thought he was brilliant.

His whole transformation and portrayal of Jaime's character is just perfect. Here's a guy who truly loves his brother and his increasing distance from Cersei and Tywin as he sees them betraying and sentencing Tyrion to death. He sells out his vows again for his family and the moment where he told Tywin that he slew Aerys for him was touching but not really what Tywin deserves at

The way he portrays Jaime with just looks and posture is amzing. Look back to season 1 and 2 - Jaime, even when captured, is full of arrogance and swagger. Now he's back in KL you can see Jaime is trying to puff himself up but remains really deflated and downcast. He's not the same bright eyed arrogant pretty boy from Season 1, but someone who has become more vulnerable and aware of the horrors of the world after his handen The way he places his left hand by his sword when he's feeling uneasy and uncomfortable during Tyrion's trial encompasses this.

Yes Dinklage was brilliant and should win awards, but here's to Nikolaj's amazing performance as a much more introverted character to contrast to Tyrion's louder part.

I completely agree. He practically is Jaime. At the beginning of the show he was Cersei's creature in whole. Throughout season two we see him arrogantly curious about his companion, Brienne. In the book we can see that he does care about her (in whatever way) , and I think they really did a great job on the progression of their (non?) relationship, from enemies to trusted friends. And while that is happening, Jaime's heart is hardening towards Cersei - now in season four we have him sending Brienne on a mission to save Sansa, trying to save Tyrion, and promising Tywin he will give up the white cloak and marry - all against Cersei's wishes.

His personality is spot on in portrayal. I loved his sarcasm in the books and it is no different on screen. Nikolaj is dry and ironic in the perfect Jaime way, but it seems like he has toned down a bit in this season, somewhat humbled by his injury.

I think he is clearly the breakout movie star from this series, his is going to be an A list actor within 5 years. Thanks to AGOT and is looks. He ought to have his agent pursue to be the next James Bond Villain or something.

I do wish his and Tyrion's hair was bleach blond since they atleast go to the trouble for Cersei and Dany's hair to match the books. It is the hair overall that is the slap in our face give away on the incest bastardy.

Absolutely agree with all the above posts. Nikolaj has shown some amazing work in his portrayal of a diamond of a character, and how different "light" pulls out these aspects. The more you look the more complex and fascinating this character becomes. To see Nikolaj's interpretation of how Jaime has progressed into his own identity and less a "Lannister" has been inspiring.

Jaime's awareness of his depth has increased substantially since his time with Brienne, and how he is willing to go into the "bear pit" with Tyrion also was heartwarming. It is quite ironic when he comes to Tywin with his willingness to leave the Kingsguard and "maintain the Lannister line" by living an ordinary life in exchange for Tyrion's life- as Jaime actually has become less Lannistery. This performance was artful on Nikolaj's part.

And imo, there is no better match that I have seen on TV or movies today then the on screen interaction that NIkolaj and Gwen share. I hope that we can see them together on screen again when Game of Thrones ends.

I am hoping the Academy will recognize Nikolaj's hard work this year with an Emmy; since Dinklage has already one. The difference I see between Peter and Nikolaj is the Peter is dramatic and commands the stage; Nikolaj is poignant, subtle, and a softer catalyst to those around him.

Nikolaj is quite something, but I've been blowing hot and cold with Jaime this season. Even if I completely ignore the fuck up of episode 3, I feel that Jaime's characterisation is a bit all over the place this season. I liked his scenes in this episode and the last scene he had with Brienne was lovely, but there's something off about him which I can't quite pinpoint.

Basically it's what happened with Jon for 3 seasons as well, where the more I watched of him the more I was wondering who was this dude they called Jon Snow, I just didn't connect the way I connect with him in the books (it's better this season though!). I loved what they did with Jaime last season, I hope the writing picks up because NCW can be way better than what we've see of him this season.

Nikolaj was absolutely fabulous in this episode. I don't think that the trials scenes would be half as potent without his reaction shots. Also his plea for Tyrion's life was truly touching even if Tywin obviously outsmarted him in that scene.

Jaime is the only person in the whole rooms that cares about Tyrion so in that way he represents us as the audience.

I remember reading the books after my boyfriend and he would comment, "You're going to like Jaime later on in the story" and I never belived him- until I finshed the books. How can you not admire the transformation Jamie goes through? The show is really nailing it and I find him getting more physically attractive as his personality becomes less offensive. That scene where he sends off Brienne was phenomenal and this episode where he attempts to intervene for Tyrian just solidifies his journey to good-guy-dom.

Nikolaj has very subtle acting abilities. I think he's really good and underappreciated (except for his sexy looks) far too much on the show. Other characters like Tyrion get a lot more kudos because they're playing a very difficult character. Jaime's character (on the outside) seems very simple - big handsome knight who's had his whole life handed to him on a silver platter and is a great fighter but killed a king and now has a complex. It's not that simple though. Jaime's underlying character is pretty complicated and conflicted and I'm so glad we're finally seeing that this season with the Brienne, Cersei, Tywin and Tyrion scenes. That heartbreaking look he gave Tyrion when he realized Tyrion wasn't going to keep his mouth shut like he'd begged him to do was utterly to die for. I wanted to hug him!

I think he is clearly the breakout movie star from this series, his is going to be an A list actor within 5 years. Thanks to AGOT and is looks. He ought to have his agent pursue to be the next James Bond Villain or something.

I do wish his and Tyrion's hair was bleach blond since they atleast go to the trouble for Cersei and Dany's hair to match the books. It is the hair overall that is the slap in our face give away on the incest bastardy.

Jaime's hair was bleech blond, as I recall. I think the dark toners, along with the other changes, are evidence of his moral changes.

Nikolaj is brilliant. He is consistently excellent in every single scene he's in, even when he's not featured. He is one of the show's absolute best, I cannot fault him. Since the last season, he's become my favourite actor on the show simply because he is so damn good.

The beauty of this scene is how much is NCW able to portray and let us know by just subtle acting. Unfortunately, that doesn't win awards.

First, when he takes Tyrion to the court, someone screams "Kingslayer". that's what Jaime has been hearing for the past 16 years. I think they wants us to see how Jaime is finally able to see himself, or rather see Tyrion, in the same situation he has been living his whole life, for the first time. When Tyrion starts his final speech about how he wished to have let everybody died, Jaime knows that feeling because he also saved the city once, and people only remembers that he broke his vows and killed Aerys. When Tyrion says he's in trial for being a dwarf, Jaime can understand that: he knows his father and sister aren't able to see beyond the "imp", while he actually loves Tyrion because Tyrion is his brother. He knows Tyrion isn't lying: he is been judged for being a dwarf in the same way everybody judge him for being a Kinslayer without knowing that killing the King saved the city.

I always enjoy when he gets screen time. Just watching his reactions to things in the background is great. But honestly, I don't know why everyone thinks Peter Dinklage is such a great actor. I like him as a person and he does a decent enough job as Tyrion but that fake accent of his is too much. Every time he has to do an emotional scene, it becomes unbearable.

Archived