Can a Jon Snow + Daenerys romance work in the final book? Part 2

MoIaF

How I imagine Jon and Dany meeting:

Jon: I am Jon Snow.

Dany: And I am Daenerys Stormborn of the House Targaryen, Queen of the Andals and the Rhoynar and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms....

- Jon wanders off, has a shave, walks with ghost, chats with the men, spars for a while, has a bath and wanders back -

Dany: ...Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, Breaker of Chains...

- Jon goes for a walk along the top of the Wall with Ghost. He walks for some time. He eventually stops, sits down and breaks out the Big Book of Sudoku. He does about half and then contemplates life and the Universe for a while, coming to the conclusion that they do not, in fact, live in the eye of a blue-eyed giant. He then wanders back again -

Dany: ...and Mother of Dragons!

Jon: Right. Can I just call you Dany?

Dany: No!

Jon: Yeah, this relationship will never work.

Not bad . But he's never had a problem with the only other character in the series who can compete with Dany for the largest train of titles - Tormund Giantsbane (and nor has this forum that I've noticed). The titles won't impress him but he'll look past them and the person might.

You are a princess? :P

:lol: yes. we can be the Princess and the Queen.

Not bad . But he's never had a problem with the only other character in the series who can compete with Dany for the largest train of titles - Tormund Giantsbane (and nor has this forum that I've noticed). The titles won't impress him but he'll look past them and the person might.
:lmao: Never noticed that

Yeah, but I only mentioned some of the titles that Dany has at the moment. By the time she reaches Westeros, she'll have so many titles that she'll need to employ about five people to remember them all. I imagine that if you wrote out all of Dany's titles at that point, it would be longer than Tormund's famous member.

Yeah, but I only mentioned some of the titles that Dany has at the moment. By the time she reaches Westeros, she'll have so many titles that she'll need to employ about five people to remember them all. I imagine that if you wrote out all of Dany's titles at that point, it would be longer than Tormund's famous member.

Eh a 20-word title vs a 30-word title isn't that different. And just to play devil's advocate, Dany's titles come from the necessity of her trying to press her claim first and then comes the more vain ones... Tormund's is all vanity. and if you question Tormund's member, you might be thrown in time out around here. :D

Eh a 20-word title vs a 30-word title isn't that different. And just to play devil's advocate, Dany's titles come from the necessity of her trying to press her claim first and then comes the more vain ones... Tormund's is all vanity. and if you question Tormund's member, you might be thrown in time out around here. :D

Oh no.

Forgive me Old Gods, for I have sinned. I have had the temerity to suggest that something may in fact be longer than Tormund's unquestionable member. I know! I know! What a fool I have been! Subject me to the Ramsay treatment, I beg of you! Do me that mercy...

A. Icezombies are the wights not the Others. B. I never said that Jon was a strong independent fighter woman who had to fight the Wights/Others for his life since he was born.

Sorry, misread your post (also should know better to post when I am this short on sleep).

They'd get along just fine until Dany referred to Ned as one of the Usurper's dogs. Relationship would pretty much end right on the spot after that.

That would be a pretty disastrous end for a first date, even by Westerosi standards!

BTW, I noticed your username...a fellow fan of The Thing here?

They'd get along just fine until Dany referred to Ned as one of the Usurper's dogs. Relationship would pretty much end right on the spot after that.

No, Jon would just read her the Riot Act and after that she would just shut up about it. Indeed I doubt it will get even that far: Barristan or Tyrion would already have pointed out to her just how ill advised such a comment might be. Besides, assuming she is trying to work out a cooperative relationship with Jon, she herself will know better without any warning from Barristan et al.

I don't get how Jon+Dany is cliched. They are at opposite ends of the world, have no clue of eachothers existence and are headed in different directions. The only cliche about it is they are supposed to be heroes of the story but i'd hardly call Dany a hero and even Jon has done some very questionable things as Lord Commander.

Could it work? Yes.

Would there be obstacles? Yes, obviously.

Do I think it could happen? Possibly. Maybe it will, maybe it wont. I would be happy either way, even if I dont like Jon. I can see reasons it would work and reasons it wouldnt.

As for the kinslayer thing: people are saying Jon is just going to judge her off the bat for that. I thought the forum viewed Jon as a good person? Surely he would at least listen to what she tells him? If he knows the story and still judges her a kinslayer, my opinion of him would drop significantly.

Also, if she knows R+L=J by that time, I can see her being more open to him. She only thinks of that aspect of the Rebellion briefly, but she doesn't brand Lyanna under the "Usurper's Dogs" label. Something along the lines of "Rhaegar loved his lady Lyanna".

I like this one better.

http://www.blastr.com/sites/blastr/files/styles/media_gallery_image/public/game-of-thronesDanyJon_1.jpg?itok=aBbr6zEm

Just kidding. I actually want them to get together. If for nothing else for the reactions/tantrums.

:agree: That was all I could about as I read this thread! It would be a meltdown for the ages!

Jon will get in first with his titles: "bastard son of a great lord, possible son of a prince, Direwolf warg, Lord Commander's steward, killer of the rising dead, slayer of the Half-Hand, ranger, secret agent, climber of the Wall, Lord Commander, saviour of the wildlings, heir of the King in the North, the man who can't be killed...."

Just re Val, I got the impression Jon went off her when she criticised Shireen over greyscale.

I hope Jon/Dany make an alliance rather than a romance if they are related. GRRM hasn't written Jamie and Cersei's incest as a positive thing and turning Jon and Dany into a great romance would be a bit sick.

I hope Jon/Dany make an alliance rather than a romance if they are related. GRRM hasn't written Jamie and Cersei's incest as a positive thing and turning Jon and Dany into a great romance would be a bit sick.

Working on the assumption that R + L = J, the Targ 'tradition' of marital incest, and above all, that both characters make it to the end, I think that the pair making a marriage based on political needs/alliance is not out of the question. Even working outside a marriage theory, I think that them making a straightforward political alliance to protect Westeros is highly plausible.

Do I think this means a 'romance'? in my heart of hearts no. GRRM is such a brilliant writer because he defies conventions, and expectations; the two 'heroes' of Asoiaf, so different in background and character, having some sort of happy, romantic union at the end seems like it's not something he would do.

In my craven fangirl's heart, it's a pairing I would probably enjoy reading - but would it make a satisfying, plausible, Martin-esque conclusion to the books? Probably not. I think as a writer GRRM tends to subordinate romantic themes to political ones, Sansa Stark is a kind of walking, talking symbol of this. If there was any Jon/Dany attraction/romance, it would almost certainly not be entirely happy. I have never yet found any 'off into the sunset' relationships in asoiaf.

Besides, has anyone else noticed how much Dany pretty much hates any family allied to 'the usurper'? Isn't Dany killing Jon looking just as likely as romance??

Archived