[Book Spoilers] R+L=J and other theories on HBO V.2

Suzanna Stormborn

I don't know, given Olennas desire for power and her machinations, it feels like she was the one thrown over and might have been one of the Houses insulted that Selmy alluded to when the Targaryens married for love rather than alliance.

(And poor Aemon if that was he that she described so poorly), lol.

If anyone, I thought it might have been Duncan who threw Olenna over for Jenny.

Oh, absolutely. It is also a matter of timeline (Aemon is 32-40 years older than Olenna, Duncan is a much better fit). But we are not in bookverse, this is GoT where details can change and timelines can be loosely adapted ;)

Interesting what they decided to do with Sam in this episode. He is stern, in complete control of his emotions, and ensuring what Jon wants is getting done and ensuring that what Jon is asking for, people are delivering on. Also giving Jon advice is something I found interesting, given him telling Grenn they need more men, and Grenn saying go tell Jon, as he's in command, and Sam doing just that. He's not trying to supersede the one in command, but giving strategy advice to the one in command.

I mean I would be a liar if I said Hand of the King didn't go through my mind when watching Samwell Tarly in this episode.

Oh, absolutely. It is also a matter of timeline (Aemon is 32-40 years older than Olenna, Duncan is a much better fit). But we are not in bookverse, this is GoT where details can change and timelines can be loosely adapted ;)

Very true- accept for Dany. :P

"I'm not a bleeding Poet!"

That one made me think of Rhaegar. :lol:

Yeah, I caught that too. :D

Interesting what they decided to do with Sam in this episode. He is stern, in complete control of his emotions, and ensuring what Jon wants is getting done and ensuring that what Jon is asking for, people are delivering on. Also giving Jon advice is something I found interesting, given him telling Grenn they need more men, and Grenn saying go tell Jon, as he's in command, and Sam doing just that. He's not trying to supersede the one in command, but giving strategy advice to the one in command.

I mean I would be a liar if I said Hand of the King didn't go through my mind when watching Samwell Tarly in this episode.

I completely agree with that, because there was almost a ruthless wisdom to him I thought.

Surely not, but I found myself loving Ser Alliser's speech for a moment :D

I did too, which is surely one of GRRM's genius. :wub:

That's correct. Since Jaehaerys was skipped Egg is Daenerys grandfather while Olenna is Margaerys Olenna grandmother so Aemon & Olenna duo is easy to portray

Anyhow, my point was that making the two songs similar to each other might (and that might be a big might) imply a connection between Bran and Dany. I also like the inspiring nature of both the songs, it kind of makes you feel like good things are coming. :D

Oh, I forgot to say before, if "The Children" is used over Bran storyline, then I agree the similar songs might imply a connection between Bran & Dany, as both will likely play significant roles in the War for the Dawn.

Oh, I forgot to say before, if "The Children" is used over Bran storyline, then I agree the similar songs might imply a connection between Bran & Dany, as both will likely play significant roles in the War for the Dawn.

Going to have to play close attention to the music next week. :)

Also, I'm curious if we'll get the "dragon cry" at the end of the finale.

A great observation on both the dragons cry and the Other's sounding eerily familiar.

On Sam as the Hand :)

I also enjoyed how he schooled Jon on the technicalities of what really constituted "oath breaking" on matters of intimacy. :)

"I'm not a bleeding Poet!"

That one made me think of Rhaegar. :lol:

Irony of fate ;)

Styr slamming Jon's head against an anvil and throwing him through the smithy furnace has been taken as a nod to this theory of Jon being Lightbringer. (Seriously my favorite theory I've read on this board. Everyone should read it if they haven't.)

I love Schmendrick's thread but the anvil detail in relation to Lightbringer escaped my hyper-sensitive radar. Genius.

Going to have to play close attention to the music next week. :)

Apparently it opens as a version of the "King in the North" theme, which makes me think it could actually be used for Bran, Jon, or even LS if they want her appearance to be uplifting. And I really can't imagine it fitting anywhere else in the episode besides the very last scene, going into the end credits.

Irony is that he used a hammer =(

I was pondering upon the metaphor of the sword Lightbringer, beaten on the anvil and forged in the fire... Two more elements jumped to my eye, one being the immolation of Jon's Nissa Nissa, Ygritte, with a dart through her heart (an iteration of the original Nissa, Lyanna). The second is even more nerdy LOL Jon fights his duel literally and chronologically pressed between the 'anvil and the hammer'. Like his grand-grand-grand father Maekar and Maekar's brother, Baelor ;)

Apparently it opens as a version of the "King in the North" theme, which makes me think it could actually be used for Bran, Jon, or even LS if they want her appearance to be uplifting. And I really can't imagine it fitting anywhere else in the episode besides the very last scene, going into the end credits.

Awesome! Thank you very much.

Yes, it does seem like the type music that would play at the end. I wonder how they will end it. Can't wait for next Sunday and I don't even like Sundays. :)

A great observation on both the dragons cry and the Other's sounding eerily familiar.

On Sam as the Hand :)

I also enjoyed how he schooled Jon on the technicalities of what really constituted "oath breaking" on matters of intimacy. :)

Thanks! I definitely don't think it's a mere coincidence it's most like just a way to connect the ice and fire magic. With both having the same source of magic.

Potential Crackpot

ALERT

In the episode thread for this week they were discussing the theme music for this season. Here is the link http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/111360-bookshow-spoilers-synopsis-promo-recap-and-speculation/?p=5874541

The theme music for the episode The Children is the same music is similar to the music they had for the Mhysa episode, which I found very interesting. As some of you might know I've been trying to document the similarities between Bran and Dany so I'm not too surplice that Bran and Dany might share a theme.

Anyhow, this made me think about how this seasons finale would relate to previous seasons season finales. Here is where the potential crackpot might come in. I realize that the last three season finales have alternated between fire and ice. Let me explain, the first season finale ended with the hatching of Dany's dragons (fire): http://youtu.be/T9TSqV7G0NY Also, the theme song is the same/similar as the one in Mhysa.

The second season finale had the White Walker walking toward the Wall with the Wights (ice): http://youtu.be/91C701Jq-tU This scene happened right after Dany locks XXD in his vault and sacks his house.

Finally, the third season ended with Dany once again in the Mhysa episode (fire): http://youtu.be/2Xv9Emwi1Cc Once again in this episode we have the same/similar theme used as in the birth of the dragons episode.

Well, after watching all three finale (final scenes) back to back I noticed something else (potential crackpot no. 2). Each episode ends with a cry, the "fire" episodes ended with Drogon's cry and the ice episode ended with the WW cry which sounded like a perverted version of Drogon's. Now, I don't know if this might mean anything, it could just be they way they wanted to end it, but I did find it curious.

This made me think that the finale this year might end somewhere in the North (ice) either showing us the WW again or with Bran. As for next season, well, we have Dany in the Dothraki Sea which would make for a good finale.

What does this all mean? I have no idea, it might just be the creators way of giving homage to the ice / fire theme of the series. Or there could potentially be something more there. I just thought I should point it out, in case any of you could come up with a better answer.

ETA: Also noticed that Dany was inside a "circle" in both her finales, first inside the pyre then so rounded by the freed slaves.

That's cool, I'm sure you will be right about the finale this week.

LOVED it!

And also wondering who Aemons mystery girl was.(If she was a Northern girl, I'll have to be peeled from the ceiling). :)

OK So i was thinking a lot more about this. Aemon loved a girl intensely... The only time during his life when it would have been possible for him to have a girlfriend is when he was in Oldtown at the Citadel between the age of 10 and 19. He was sent to the citadel at a very young age by King Dareon. It was thought that Aemon was possibly the son of Aemon the Dragonknight, so King Dareon wanted him out of KL to avoid any power struggles.

If this girl of his was important enough to bring up in the show, how important must it be in the books? I mean if it is true then that was a huge reveal, because absolutely not one thing has ever been mentioned about Aemon having a girlfriend ever in the books. My personal opinion on who the girl is....OK someone who either lived in Oldtown or was just visiting there, possibly someone from Dorne. We know that Aemon frequented the bar from FFC prologue that Alleras and Pate are drinking at. If Aemon like going to a bar it stands to reason he had a drink from time to time, so the idea that he met a girl there is not unreasonable. I am just trying to narrow it down.....But the real question is....Is it possible he fathered a child while there? most couplings do end in children, who knows. My best guess is that it was a Toland. We have Telora Toland having prophetic dragon dreams in the beginning of WoW, there is no history written for house Toland, only that their sigil is a dragon chasing it's tail. Maybe Telora is a descendant of Aemon? I mean that is just a shot in the dark. But we know Aemon was one of the Targs who does have the dragon dreams, so it would make sense that children/grandchildren/great-grandchildren of his would also inherit the prophetic dream ability, as we know that not every person with Targ blood has that power, only some of them do.

Thats my guess :)

Archived