NBC's Hannibal III: Swimming in blood and emptiness

Tony Soprano

I wasn't that affected emotionally regarding Abigail's death. She just felt a little too much a tool of HAnnibal's and it feels like she's been dead since the end of last season for me. I'm still wondering whether Alana has survived (the opening credits suggest she has or is at least appearing regularly) and found it odd that wasn't something addressed by Will. Along with Fishbourne too.

Some much needed humour this week. "that was rather impulsive of me" :)

There's a bit more plot seeping into the show but it still feels as though 80% of the show could now be a dream.

Fuller somehow manages to make snails sexy at some point in the episode. They are also being a bit more honest about the aspect of love between the leads as well. Obviously a love that transcends the mere physical (but doesn't rule out attraction)

As one of the few people who enjoyed Hannibal Rising, I have to say, Fuller did it again. The whole Partizans ate my sister was always the worst part of that plotline, having Hannibal kill and eat her out of his own accord is much more satisfying. He really is a very scary cat, that Hannibal. Mads Mikkelsen plays him perfectly and my god, what a pair he forms with Gillian Anderson. I really missed them in last weeks pretty lackluster episode. I like this new girl (Chyro I think?), we'll have to wait and see of course but I am getting some good vibes from her performance.

Also so glad to see Jack Crawford again. I always hoped he would survive, Alana's role was played out, but he had still some mileage left. Loved how grizzled he looked. The locations were also incredible yet again. Hannibal's castle is superbly creepy and it's really informed by the show's DNA. With those branches looking like antlers and all that. This show has by far the best atmosphere on television.

One thing that wasn't entirely clear to me though was why he killed his sister. I don't think they really gave a straightforward answer to that, but perhaps you lot have been paying more attention, so that's why I'm asking :) They say that Mischa touched him, changed him and that he forgave her by killing her. Could it be similar to Will, i.e. that he showed her who he really was and she wasn't okay with that? After which he killed her?

I always hated the Hannibal Rising backstory, but Fuller is doing something pretty cool with it here. More like the Joker's "Do you want to know how I got these scars?" and less of an excuse for Hannibal's actions.

It works far better having him always be a monster and not having his origin tied to his sister being eaten.

I was even wondering if Fishburne had been ill/lost weight he looked so worn.

WRT the look of the show - I can't help but get excited about "american gods". Fuller will make it look beautiful and the scenes with gods in their own "reality" will definitely be a treat. I'm almost wondering if Mads could play Odin for them? As long as it doesn't take him away from Hannibal.

I like how Fuller also seems to get the best out of his actors. Anderson has always been good but she is sublime in this role. You can see her disgust/sarcasm/fear all at once with Hannibal.

Well, technically speaking (see what I did there) Bedelia doesn't say Hannibal killed his sister, just that he ate her. My belief is that the prisoner really did murder her, but he didn't eat her, or at least didn't eat her entirely.

Hmmm, perhaps. Hannibal's "I happened line" did sound like he was responsible for her death, but perhaps he provoked the murderer or something like that.

Hmmm, perhaps. Hannibal's "I happened line" did sound like he was responsible for her death, but perhaps he provoked the murderer or something like that.

Possibly. Maybe he was angry at his sister for some reason, like he was at Will, and he...may have acted impulsively. Or maybe he was...curious to see what would happen. I doubt the prisoner is completely innocent, though.

Jack has certainly been run through the wringer the last several months, being so close to death and almost certainly losing his wife.

Now he is searching for Will and Hannibal. I' am expecting a rather emotional scene where Jack scatters his beloved's ashes(bella bella). :crying:

Possibly. Maybe he was angry at his sister for some reason, like he was at Will, and he...may have acted impulsively. Or maybe he was...curious to see what would happen. I doubt the prisoner is completely innocent, though.

He might have been rude to Hannibal :p

Who the hell was that Japanese girl guarding the dude she thought ate Hannibal's sister? What was her relation to Hannibal and what kept her staying in that God-awful place for (what's implied) several decades?

Maybe the answer will come in future episodes, but the snail-slow pace this season is annoying me. I know the series is going for an "stylistic arthouse" sort for vibe (which they do a great job at and I appreciate), but a bit more urgency in the narrative certainly wouldn't have hurt.

Lots of reports popping up that NBC has cancelled Hannibal. Would post link but can't from phone

Oh no! It's true.

Statement from Bryan Fuller:

"NBC has allowed us to craft a television series that no other broadcast network would have dared, and kept us on the air for three seasons despite Cancellation Bear Chow ratings and images that would have shredded the eyeballs of lesser Standards & Practices enforcers," Fuller said in a statement. "Jen Salke and her team have been fantastic partners and creatively supportive beyond measure. HANNIBAL is finishing his last course at NBC’s table this summer, but a hungry cannibal can always dine again. And personally, I look forward to my next meal with NBC.”

Archived