NBC's Hannibal III: Swimming in blood and emptiness

Tony Soprano

What im wondering is why are they whining about the first episode of a new seasong being slow? They're almost ALWAYS slow.

That's... not really the case? Season openers are often either geared to hooking potential new viewers or concerned with wrapping up a bunch of cliffhangers from the season finale, especially on network television, and thus usually have stuff happening, so I can see how an episode which ignores the season finale and most of the main characters in favour of a dreamlike character piece like some sort of twisted Lost in Translation would surprise people.

But slow is not bad. And anyway, last season's opener was only faster because it had an inserted flash-forward scene from the finale and you can hardly do that every time.

That's... not really the case? Season openers are often either geared to hooking potential new viewers or concerned with wrapping up a bunch of cliffhangers from the season finale, especially on network television, and thus usually have stuff happening, so I can see how an episode which ignores the season finale and most of the main characters in favour of a dreamlike character piece like some sort of twisted Lost in Translation would surprise people.

Apparently we don't watch the same shows.

JJ Abrams has lens flare this show has ssssuuuuuupppppeeerrrr ssssssllllllloooooowwwwww mmmmmmmoooooo drip effects. If I see another cut away shot of blood/water/blood&water dripping menacingly I'll.......keep on watching coz this show is friggin awesome.

I really don't have a clue what's going on, is the Florence stuff before of after the little disagreement with WIll at the end of last season? But Gillian Anderson, jeez she was great in this.

Apparently we don't watch the same shows.

If you only watch high-end cable dramas, I can see where you drew your conclusions. Otherwise, not so much.

Of course, this show is very much a high-end cable drama that somehow snuck onto network television and made it to three seasons. I still can't quite reconcile that this is the case.

And Bedelia's encounter with the Hannibal's former patient, the dead and tongueless Zachary Quinto.

I enjoyed the set up for the season through the past, giving background information on how Hannibal came to be net only patient and their relationship. She's very much like Will with her professional curiosity.

My favourite moment was the superimposing of Lucifer's image over Hannibal.

https://twitter.com/NBCHannibal/status/606653329855225856?s=09

And the Paris scene was filmed during the time of the Charlie Hebdo attack.

https://twitter.com/BryanFuller/status/606687838902480896?s=09

I thought the opening scene was fucking great. "Bonsoir" then the dudes wife walking in on Hannibal was hilariously chilling. The season two opening scene was a masterclass cause of how frustrating watching Hannibal slip and slide during season two would have been without it but it was also kinda frustrating for me since you had to wait 12 damn episodes to get back to it lol.

Edit: sigh my first time watching live on NBC and it's a record low rating for a Hannibal premier :(

If you only watch high-end cable dramas, I can see where you drew your conclusions. Otherwise, not so much.

Of course, this show is very much a high-end cable drama that somehow snuck onto network television and made it to three seasons. I still can't quite reconcile that this is the case.

The fact that of all Fuller's shows, this is the one that made it to three seasons is pretty crazy. Sad to hear the ratings are still dropping. I can see why though, unlike with most of my favorite shows I have a hard time recommending it to a lot of people. It is really awesome, but I know some people wouldn't be able to stomach the violence, and many of those that could would find it too slow or stylized.

My favourite moment was the superimposing of Lucifer's image over Hannibal.

This was actually the bit I liked least- nice and creepy image but waaaaaaaay too on-the-nose symbolically.

It won't see a 4th season. Not on NBC at least.

This would normally seem absolutely certain but tbh it should never have seen the second season, and after the second season was dropped in the Friday-night deathslot, it should never have made the third. Someone high up at NBC is obviously a committed fan (though the international production helps) and it'd have to cross into the territory of absolute ratings disaster to be cancelled.

Of course, what that line is is hard to say, and maybe a season opener being a series-low even after it got moved into a relatively good spot on the schedule is below it. At this point I think all we can all do is keep our fingers crossed and encourage people to watch, it's so far out of the normal pattern speculation is downright impossible.

It won't see a 4th season. Not on NBC at least.

Yeah I think you're right. There's some hope that Penny Dreadful will make it to season 3 but this will get cancelled bar a miracle. It'd be perfect for HBO, but damn it's great that something as good as this is on Network TV.

I think part of Hannibal's greatness can be attributed to the restrictions of network TV. On cable this show wouldn't be nearly as subtle and we would probably have random boobshots every 15 minutes or so.

Only a Belgian would say this

...I agree

We're all Belgians here :grouphug:

I think part of Hannibal's greatness can be attributed to the restrictions of network TV. On cable this show wouldn't be nearly as subtle and we would probably have random boobshots every 15 minutes or so.

We're all Belgians here :grouphug:

Yeah there's almost no sex, but uber graphic violence is OK. That says something about America, probably something I like.

uhhhhhhhh. I despise how he gets to start over as a richy rich upper crust guy in a foreign land. Gilded floorboards and shit. Staying in an apartment some masterdouche painted with ceiling murals during some renaisance or whatnot. What an ass. You expect the murders but not that he'd keep living the high life while on the run, and so easily. Pisser. His second life is not fair to those of us who never even killed anyone and yet remain poor. And if all the cast is going to be summoned to France to hunt Hanny, that means they survived the finale in which they were murdered. Is that also a pisser? Or do we like the cast? It's tough to say.

I assume that Bedelia is financing much of this life on the run. I mean, I guess I also expect Hanny to have plenty of funding set up around the world, any decent serial killer should have an escape hatch. But mostly I figured it was Bedelia, who isn't really legally on the run and also clearly had plenty of money.

I just watched this episode. Great as always.

It doesn't seem like Hannibal is making much of an effort to alter his appearance. Surely he should be on the top of Interpol's most wanted list, shouldn't he?

Maybe this sounds crazy, but is the FBI withholding information about him to the public? There relationship with him can't be one of the Bureau's proudest moments.

Archived