[Book Spoilers] The Duel

I thought the fight was excellent and they stayed very true to the book, much more so than The Red Wedding. But you guys just reminded me of why I haven't been visiting these forums that much since season 3. While there's a lot of people who are pleased, and a lot of people have valid reasons to not like something, the overwhelming pessimism and the "I should have adapted the books!" attitude just gets on my nerves. Guess it's easy to please me, because most of the time I enjoy the show a lot without overthinking, overanalyzing or comparing every detail on the show with every detail in the books. You should try it, it makes stuff much more enjoyable. But everyone to their own, I guess. In the end we all are nothing but beetle crushers.

I thought the fight was excellent and they stayed very true to the book, much more so than The Red Wedding. But you guys just reminded me of why I haven't been visiting these forums that much since season 3. While there's a lot of people who are pleased, and a lot of people have valid reasons to not like something, the overwhelming pessimism and the "I should have adapted the books!" attitude just gets on my nerves. Guess it's easy to please me, because most of the time I enjoy the show a lot without overthinking, overanalyzing or comparing every detail on the show with every detail in the books. You should try it, it makes stuff much more enjoyable. But everyone to their own, I guess. In the end we all are nothing but beetle crushers.

Hey Gwyn, for such an end game boss you sure got jobbed hard by parrying!

*Dark Souls humour*

LOL.

Who knew that Wetblanketos.org was home to so many directors and choreographers. The Internet is so full of wonder.

Ahh, this classic argument again. The "well you aren't part of the industry so you can't judge it" argument never fails to amuse me. Don't even bother, it's a lost fight.

That's stretching things ... alot.

Don't give me the director was going for subtle exposition highlighting how the world is full of vipers and mountains to be overcome ... the episode was named for the duel, simple as.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar as the saying goes :) .

How is this stretching things? The MOuntain and The Viper, the title itself is pretty much a play of the Farmer and The Viper and there is plenty of betrayal to go around.

In the end we all are nothing but beetle crushers.

Wrong, GRRM is the beetle crusher. We are just Tyrion trying to make sense of him.

The only good thing that comes from Oberyn's death is the Martell/Sand Snakes storyline. I can't wait for Dorne next season!

:dunno:

People aren't allowed to criticize something? Everyone has to unite in their complete agreement on how amazing it was?

Everyone's allowed to criticize anything, of course. But, this fight was awesome and for there to be this much criticizing just further illustrates truly how difficult it is to satisfy this forum. It's one of those things.... when you dramatically criticize everything, it's kind of hard to take seriously after a while.

No one cares when people that can't seem to be satisfied aren't satisfied.

Also, to the people complaining about the Mountain crushing his head, it takes about 200 pounds of pressure to crush a human skull. The Mountain is 500 Lbs and the actor likely benches 500+ lbs in real life. heck, that guy could probably crush a person skull in real life too.

I don't think anyone is debating whether or not he could do it. People are just saying it looked a little dumb on screen, is all.

Then blame Martin for putting it in the book that he crushed Oberyn's skull. What do you folks think happens when a skull is crushed? That it's contents just casually spill out?

Geez, I thought they did that scene freaking justice.

IMO, it was an analogy on the randomness of death and judgement. Tyrion's cousin never gave any reason as to why those beetles had to die, he just did it. The beetles had never done anything to him and they were in no position to defend himself. Tyrion is the beetle, life is the cousin. It keeps trying to squash him at every opportunity for no good reason (other than "you're a dwarf"). Chances are he will never know why, because the people pulling the strings / holding the rock (Cersei, Tywin, the gods) are either unwilling or too insane to give him an answer.

I agree with your interpretation. I get that they were going for an extended metaphor with the beetle discussion, but I felt that it went on a bit too long without building up the anticipation for the upcoming duel sufficiently. The duel scene would have benefited from some epic building-up (as good as it was, IMO).

Everyone's allowed to criticize anything, of course. But, this fight was awesome and for there to be this much criticizing just further illustrates truly how difficult it is to satisfy this forum. It's one of those things.... when you dramatically criticize everything, it's kind of hard to take seriously after a while.

No one cares when people that can't seem to be satisfied aren't satisfied.

Also, to the people complaining about the Mountain crushing his head, it takes about 200 pounds of pressure to crush a human skull. The Mountain is 500 Lbs and the actor likely benches 500+ lbs in real life. heck, that guy could probably crush a person skull in real life too.

Pretty much all of this.

I shouldn't be, of course, but I'm continually amazed by the monumental metric fuckton of bitching and whining and complaining that goes on in this forum. If I didn't get so much entertainment out of it, I'd actually feel bad for the people that are completely incapable of enjoying one of the most incredible television shows that we will ever see in our lifetime.

I agree with your interpretation. I get that they were going for an extended metaphor with the beetle discussion, but I felt that it went on a bit too long without building up the anticipation for the upcoming duel sufficiently. The duel scene would have benefited from some epic building-up (as good as it was, IMO).

:frown5:

i didnt get that...i thought it was just a foreshadowing for "where do whores go" and to demonstrate Tyrion's obsessive personality

Then blame Martin for putting it in the book that he crushed Oberyn's skull. What do you folks think happens when a skull is crushed? That it's contents just casually spill out?

Geez, I thought they did that scene freaking justice.

GRRM made the skull crush, it didn't explode like a watermelon in a cartoon.

Loved it. Nobody mentioned all the teeth falling to the ground after the first punch? That was book solid and hideous.

That got me the second it happened. I could hear the teeth hitting the ground, even though they were somewhat camouflaged in the stream of blood.

~shudder, I've had too many root canals, hate to see good teeth go to waste, LOL~

Regardless of how you think the scene played out, can we all (or as close to a majority as possible) agree that an episode entitled The Mountain and The Viper that contains roughly about 6.30 minutes of screen time out of 51 minutes that is actually dedicated to the duel by both men (Viper/Mountain) is largely pathetic?

And the previous episode, entitled "Mockingbird" for Petyr Baelish only had a short ending scene for him as well. This is how they do most of the episodes.

That got me the second it happened. I could hear the teeth hitting the ground, even though they were somewhat camouflaged in the stream of blood.

~shudder, I've had too many root canals, hate to see good teeth go to waste, LOL~

I had already half-covered my eyes by that point because I knew what was coming, but my boyfriend later pointed out the teeth waterfall and the sound of them hitting the ground. Gross. Bye bye, sleep.

D&D had one job and they fu**ed it up. This fight should have been superior to the book version in every way. Instead we get bad fighting editing and epic lines edited out creating a subpar experience. D&D think this is the best fight they have ever done? Have they been dropped on their head? Lord Beric vs The Hound is clearly superior and even Jaime vs Ned way back in season 1 was better handled

Loved, loved watching Oberyn's acrobatics and his unrelenting "you raped her, you murdered her, you killed her children" over and over, loved it when he looked directly up at Tywin as the one who ordered it. But, even knowing what was coming, I was unprepared for how horrific it would be to watch.

Archived