[Book Spoilers] The Duel

Yeah, the "Kissed by Fire" fight is definitely the best one the show has done, in my mind. And that's directed by Graves, too. But it tailored the fight to the actors, the setup, the environment. Plus, you know, practical effects. So it's worth noting that that episode has almost exactly the same average shot length as this fight. But what Beric and the Hound had going for it was a more cramped environment, closer in fighting, and a choreography that allowed a lot of medium shots to establish and emphasize movement (doubtless in part because the fire effect on the sword just had to be given its due).

It was highly effective, in that context.

I had already half-covered my eyes by that point because I knew what was coming, but my boyfriend later pointed out the teeth waterfall and the sound of them hitting the ground. Gross. Bye bye, sleep.

The sound of them hitting was more horrifying than looking for them in the bloodfall. I did alot of Ohhhhhhhhh, and eye covering and then....looking at the screen again throughout it. I normally would have rewatched by now, I think I'm still trying to avoid the horror of it all for a bit.

Pretty much all of this.

I shouldn't be, of course, but I'm continually amazed by the monumental metric fuckton of bitching and whining and complaining that goes on in this forum. If I didn't get so much entertainment out of it, I'd actually feel bad for the people that are completely incapable of enjoying one of the most incredible television shows that we will ever see in our lifetime.

well said....i joined this forum because i wanted to discuss all the amazing aspects of ASOIAF and GOT with others who love it as much as i do...but jeeeeez! the level of nitpick is really starting to get to me....can't we leave the nitpicking to the nitpicking threads only?

im so confused...because we have whole bunch of people who complain when things aren't done exactly like the books

now we have people who complain when things are done exactly like in the books

there is a reason why books are better off the screen, its because your imagination allows you envision it exactly the way u want...you cant expect everyone to picture the exact same thing in the exact same way....your watching someone elses adaptation of the books...if you cant watch it with an open mind and have to nitpick and get disappointed with every single change at 38 episodes, i dont understand why you keep wathcing it at all

well said....i joined this forum because i wanted to discuss all the amazing aspects of ASOIAF and GOT with others who love it as much as i do...but jeeeeez! the level of nitpick is really starting to get to me....can't we leave the nitpicking to the nitpicking threads only?

im so confused...because we have whole bunch of people who complain when things aren't done exactly like the books

there is a reason why books are better off the screen, its because your imagination allows you envision it exactly the way u want...you cant expect everyone to picture the exact same thing in the exact same way....your watching someone elses adaptation of the books...if you cant watch it with an open mind and have to nitpick and get disappointed with every single change at 38 episodes, i dont understand why you keep wathcing it at all

Yeah, I'd agree with you on this. I don't mind seeing some criticism, you're always going to get that and it's fine up to a point, but some people seem to hate everything about what is an excellent adaption of something which is hard to adapt.

If this was the book version and the show had done what we know as the actual book version, people would probably have complained that the fight was too long and drawn out or something. It's not a perfect adaption, but it's a pretty damn good one and the reaction of non-book readers tells you the scene was done well since it's had a strong effect.

Pretty much all of this.

I shouldn't be, of course, but I'm continually amazed by the monumental metric fuckton of bitching and whining and complaining that goes on in this forum. If I didn't get so much entertainment out of it, I'd actually feel bad for the people that are completely incapable of enjoying one of the most incredible television shows that we will ever see in our lifetime.

What show would that be? Not GoT, that's for sure...

Yeah, I'd agree with you on this. I don't mind seeing some criticism, you're always going to get that and it's fine up to a point, but some people seem to hate everything about what is an excellent adaption of something which is hard to adapt.

If this was the book version and the show had done what we know as the actual book version, people would probably have complained that the fight was too long and drawn out or something. It's not a perfect adaption, but it's a pretty damn good one and the reaction of non-book readers tells you the scene was done well since it's had a strong effect.

that is so true! allll of my unsullied friends lost their minds after this ep, they all seem to be focused on the right things after this ep, thinking about tyrions fate, worried he's gona die next, worrying how the Dornish will retaliate, impressed with Sansa, recognizing Arya's cold-bloodedness, jorah getting what he deserves ...

that just goes to show that if you could watch it with a clean slate, instead of expecting every single image in your mind to be brought to life on the screen, you would have loved it too

that is so true! allll of my unsullied friends lost their minds after this ep, they all seem to be focused on the right things after this ep, thinking about tyrions fate, worried he's gona die next, worrying how the Dornish will retaliate, impressed with Sansa, recognizing Arya's cold-bloodedness, jorah getting what he deserves ...

that just goes to show that if you could watch it with a clean slate, instead of expecting every single image in your mind to be brought to life on the screen, you would have loved it too

Yeah, it's an absolutely fantastic show. Some might not like the series and it might not be their cup of tea, but people who have read the books are clearly into this sort of stuff so it's not as if "the series isn't for them" or anything like that.

Good job imho. I think this scene captured the quintessence and raw power of the chapter. I'm ok with the differences and direction choices, it is an adaptation after all.

The only way to come up with a 100% noncontroversial version would be to film a somebody's hand turning the book pages I guess. As faithful as it gets.

That was my main problem with it as well. It felt like a cheap shock moment. Compare it to how they portrayed Ned's death. That was a really powerful scene, tasteful but shocking. Oberyn's death was so ridiculous that it ruined the impact for me.

So you would have preferred the book version where he smashes his head in on the ground and knocks his eyeballs out of their sockets? (Which is actually much more unrealistic), Or would you have preferred less gore so that you can complain about how they're toning down the violence from the books?

Agree. And the sad thing is that all this constant, never ending negativity draws the reasonable people away from this forum. Used to read them everyday and now I rarely read any GoT threads because it will be the same relentless bitching and moaning.

"Only Cat" was the last straw and a perfect example of people's neurotic behavior. Other examples are people bitching about Jamie's delayed reaction to getting his hand cut off, and what exactly a crushed head should look like. Criticism is one thing, becoming consumed with tearing down this show is completely different.

So people are saying The Mountain is a huge powerful beast of a man, unlike any they've seen before. Yet are nitpicking him crushing Oberyns head by squeezing it? Oooook then.

The scene was as perfect as it could've been for TV. Do you really think the Unsullied would've been interested hearing about his fight plan etc. how he was going to wear him down and beat him? Use poison etc.? That would've only been servicing the book readers, people who already knew how the scene played out it would've all been lost on the TV viewers and left them thinking "fuck, this is boring get on with the fight". I often wonder why some book readers even bother watching the show.

I'm shocked by how many people are claiming they didn't like the duel. Does it suck to go through life without anything meeting your expectations ever?

It would, if I based my enjoyment of life around shitty television shows. Thankfully I can dislike many aspects of this adaptation of my favorite fantasy series, voice my dislike, and then go enjoy the rest of my day. But thanks for the concern :)

I'm shocked by how many people are claiming they didn't like the duel. Does it suck to go through life without anything meeting your expectations ever?

I expect the duel to be mediocre and to laugh a lot throughout it and my expectations were totally met.

The scene was as perfect as it could've been for TV. Do you really think the Unsullied would've been interested hearing about his fight plan etc. how he was going to wear him down and beat him? Use poison etc.? That would've only been servicing the book readers, people who already knew how the scene played out it would've all been lost on the TV viewers and left them thinking "fuck, this is boring get on with the fight". I often wonder why some book readers even bother watching the show.

Yeah, why bother with this when you can include a 4 minute mind-numbingly boring talk about beetles instead...

I think the fight could have been better, but I thought it was one of the stronger parts of the episode. It still came off as really intense (to me), and I thought the part where he demands to know who gave the orders, and essentially accuses Tywin before all King's Landing after 20 years of him never getting publicly called out for that, was very powerful. This guy has made a great Oberyn, and I know it was never in the cards for him to stick around (like Ned), but it sucks to lose him from the show.

Archived