How much of WoW is written? [Anne Groell's interview and the series' length, part ii]

Ninefingers

Many people would still buy his books. Almost all those who are fan now and perhaps some hardcore Unsullied show fans would buy them. What he does miss out on are hundreds of impulsive-I-want-to-know-how-it-ends-sales of Unsullied who can't wait for the conclusion in the show, plus many bookreaders who would buy a hardback copy of his book instead of waiting for the cheaper paperbacks. I think that would have been GRRM dream scenario, having the final book published right before the start of the final season.

So, that's not going to happen and that's a pity. But I don't think GRRM would necessarily care. He doesn't need to do it for the money anymore, the show has given him plenty of that. Now, he just wants to finish it all and leave a legacy.

I agree. Slight addition, Sansa seems to have gone to tWoW territory this last episode.

You mean Feast, right? :)

You mean Feast, right? :)

It's ambiguous, because her revealing herself to the LD isn't in the books, and overall her characterization has been rushed into her being very manipulative. So is it show changes or TWoW material/hints, only time will tell.

It's ambiguous, because her revealing herself to the LD isn't in the books, and overall her characterization has been rushed into her being very manipulative. So is it show changes or TWoW material/hints, only time will tell.

I agree. But I'd say tWoW since she's leaving the eyrie already. In AFFC we only saw her going to the gates of the moon, but Sansa seems to be going on a tour throughout the Vale in the show.

I agree. But I'd say tWoW since she's leaving the eyrie already. In AFFC we only saw her going to the gates of the moon, but Sansa seems to be going on a tour throughout the Vale in the show.

Sansa's storylines seems to be going to differ a lot from the books, I think.

But perhaps they are just going down from the Eyrie, but does Sansa's storylines simply take place at another castle during the next season? Allowing LF to convince Lady Hornwood face to face to betroth Sansa to Harry the Heir, assuming Harry will get a part in the series.

The big difference is anyway, that they already know she's Sansa Stark, not Alayne Stone.

About 100 pages were placed from Dance into Winds. Adding up the fact that GRRM said he had 200 finished pages in March 2012, (which, IIRC, was 400 pages finished manuscript, but only 200 of those 400 were really done), that brings us to already one third the book in 2012, a year after Dance was released. So yeah, thinking it is possible that he'll finish writing in late 2014, early 2015, with a release date somewhere in the middle of 2015, isn't the strangest thing.

Sure, a part came from Dance, but we also shouldn't forget that the reason Feast took so long, was because the 5 year gap was dropped, after a big part including the 5 year gap had already been written. And that the reason Dance took so long, was because of the Meereenese knot, where GRRM has stated he had rewritten Dany's storyline multiple times, to see in which order all the people traveling towards her could reach her best.

GRRM had trouble with the middle, but the end is in sight. And he has already stated that he knows where the characters will end up. It was the journey that was difficult, so perhaps writing the ending will go somewhat faster.

There is no reason to believe that Winds and Dream will take 6 years to write. The writer has explained why the previous two books took so long, and we have absolutely no reason to think, IMO, that similar problems have arisen now.

As to the show:

Season 4 has dipped into plotlines of Feast and Dance for two storylines (Brienne and Theon). All the others are still in Storm. Perhaps it would be a bit too much to think that entire Feast and half of Dance can be put into one season, since those two will be bigger than Storm was, and Storm already took more than 1 season. So the Battle at Slavers Bay for Season 5 Episode 9 seems unlikely, to me

This all depends on how much those side projects have pushed back his work schedule.

Sure, a part came from Dance, but we also shouldn't forget that the reason Feast took so long, was because the 5 year gap was dropped, after a big part including the 5 year gap had already been written. And that the reason Dance took so long, was because of the Meereenese knot, where GRRM has stated he had rewritten Dany's storyline multiple times, to see in which order all the people traveling towards her could reach her best.

GRRM had trouble with the middle, but the end is in sight. And he has already stated that he knows where the characters will end up. It was the journey that was difficult, so perhaps writing the ending will go somewhat faster.

There is no reason to believe that Winds and Dream will take 6 years to write. The writer has explained why the previous two books took so long, and we have absolutely no reason to think, IMO, that similar problems have arisen now.

As to the show:

Season 4 has dipped into plotlines of Feast and Dance for two storylines (Brienne and Theon). All the others are still in Storm. Perhaps it would be a bit too much to think that entire Feast and half of Dance can be put into one season, since those two will be bigger than Storm was, and Storm already took more than 1 season. So the Battle at Slavers Bay for Season 5 Episode 9 seems unlikely, to me

1. It's been stated, by Martin and/or the producers, that Martin doesn't know the fate of all the characters. The major ones yes, but others are still up in the air. I don't believe the notion of "the ending is in sight and therefore should be easier to write".

2. There is no reason either to believe that Winds and Dream will be written at the same pace as the first three books. Problems arose for both books 4 and 5 The same thing can happen again: there can be another knot, another change of plans. But look at the facts: it's been 3 years since Dance and the book hasn't been published. I'd say it will take closer to 6 years than 2 years.

3.About the show, that's incorrect. Brienne, Theon, Bran, Sansa and Dany are all in their Feast/Dance territory. That's 5 storylines. Actually, the only storylines still stuck in book 3 are The Wall/Stannis, King's Landing and Arya.

We can't compare how long it took him to write the first three books to books 6 and 7 (or 8?). GRRM's life has drastically changed since the 90's when he was writing and putting out the first 3. With all due respect, when he was writing the first 3 books he wasn't even close to being as famous as he is now. Fast forward to today. He's the #1 fantasy author on amazon and has the show and a lot more money. He's doing so many more things like interviews, appearances, working on the show, so much more frequently and with so much more traveling than he did in the 90's. There is no comparison. It's not the same.

The only hope is that some of the conspiracy theories are true and he's already done with tWoW and is currently working on aDoS. The thought being that they will space out the books to the maximum profit relationships with seasons/the show/peak buying times etc. World of Ice and Fire comes out this fall. tWoW comes out either just before the show starts next year (though we would need an announcement soon) or the start of summer as was the case with Dance.

James Hibberd is on it:

We turned to Martin to clear things up. The author explains he’s not secretly plotting eight books and that seven books remains his plan. As always, however, he leaves himself wiggle room in case his tale unexpectedly expands.

“My plan is to finish in seven,” Martin says. “But my original plan was to finish in three. I write the stories and they grow. I deal with certain things and sometimes I find myself not at the end of a story. My plan right now is still seven. But first I have to finish Book Six. Get back to me when I’m half-way through Book Seven and then maybe I’ll tell you something more meaningful.”

Martin has been consistent on this subject, giving basically the same answer when we asked if he was “firmly committed” to seven books back in 2011 (“I’m as firm as I am,” Martin said, “until I decide not to be firm”). That said, given the amount of story remaining in his 4000-page saga — much of which hasn’t yet been published — Martin suspects the producers’ plan of making seven seasons will not be enough. “I don’t think it will be enough to tell the story we’re telling in the books,” he says.

Not exactly reassuring.

More at the link. GRRM also states that his suggestion that feature films to end the HBO series was not his idea (although since HBO quickly nixed the idea publicly, I have to wonder whose idea it was).

OK, for all those pessimists out there who think we will now NEVER get the end of this story, I hear you, and share your fears. However, I gave this a little more thought the other day, and came to a few conclusions. The first book came out in '96 I believe, with the second in '98, then again in what? '00 or '01? Something like that. Then he did take quite a long time with aFfC. Understandable, I suppose, that he would want to take a break after what must have gone into pumping those 3 books out in that amount of time. Then he made the mistake of promising aDwD in like a year. Well, as we now know, during that time I'm pretty sure he was out laying the groundwork for the TV show, with aDwD finally coming out the same year. After that, I'm sure it was a ton of promo work, and he took a minute to bask in his well earned and deserved fame. We fans might think he took his victory lap a little early, but hay, have any of us ever put 15-20 years into something? My point being, that with World of Westeros finally done, and with him not running off to every single comic book convention in the world, he may very well finally settle back into his original pace, which was a book every 2-3 years. Given that the series was originally intended to be a trilogy, I have to assume it was the middle of the story that got away fromhim. If that's the case, than he should finally be approaching material he has been laying the groundwork for this entire time. He knows how this will end, obviously. Given that, I think we have every reason to think the pace may quicken from here. I hope I'm right.

The only hope is that some of the conspiracy theories are true and he's already done with tWoW and is currently working on aDoS. The thought being that they will space out the books to the maximum profit relationships with seasons/the show/peak buying times etc. World of Ice and Fire comes out this fall. tWoW comes out either just before the show starts next year (though we would need an announcement soon) or the start of summer as was the case with Dance.

LOL :) . It's unbelievable how disillusioned we fans are. I so want this conspiracy to be true but let’s face is it is clear as day that George (and to some extent his publishers) refuses to discuss his progress or the future of the books not because he has it all written up and is waiting for the most profitable moment to publish it but because he has very little.

He is uncomfortable around the subject because he hoped he had written more by now but he still feels that there’s time and maybe that if he gets into a writing frenzy he might have much more in few months and will catch up on his delays (which of course won’t happen).

I think we will get TWoW in 2016 and I worry that it will be Dance 2.0: long awaited, massive but rushed and poorly edited with lots of travelogues, descriptions and no closure.

Not sure if we get any book after that. Thank the gods for the show.

About 100 pages were placed from Dance into Winds. Adding up the fact that GRRM said he had 200 finished pages in March 2012, (which, IIRC, was 400 pages finished manuscript, but only 200 of those 400 were really done), that brings us to already one third the book in 2012, a year after Dance was released. So yeah, thinking it is possible that he'll finish writing in late 2014, early 2015, with a release date somewhere in the middle of 2015, isn't the strangest thing.

As to the show:

For the five hundredth billionth time: page count does not equal adaptable content.

Not exactly reassuring.

Well, at least it seems he is slowly coming to grips with the idea that Benioff and Weiss are plotting out a seven year adaption of the series and abandoning his fantasy of a staggered movie release so that he has five more years to publish A Dream of Spring.

Well, at least it seems he is slowly coming to grips with the idea that Benioff and Weiss are plotting out a seven year adaption of the series and abandoning his fantasy of a staggered movie release so that he has five more years to publish A Dream of Spring.

There was no way that would have worked. They would have needed new actors to play the kids and everything. Unless GRRM was expecting time to stop or something, lol

There was no way that would have worked. They would have needed new actors to play the kids and everything. Unless GRRM was expecting time to stop or something, lol

Seems like he wants production to move at his glacial pace.

"I write the stories and they grow" = "I write the stories and can't stop myself from adding new things along the way."

i don't think that they gonna publish two books in one year. i mean A World of Ice and Fire is definitely coming out in autumn 2014, so it's unlikely to see AWOW in winter of 2014.

i hope for spring 2015. probably April.

Even if the next book was ready to release today, the publishers would want to capitalize on the show's popularity. They will want it to coincide with next season's premier.

I would guess that the book would come out @ a month to two weeks before next season starts. About the same time this season's DVD comes out.

That would give GRRM about 2 years to finish book 7 (assuming the show goes 7 seasons), but he would need a rough draft in a year or year and a half for the writers to write the final season.

Even if the next book was ready to release today, the publishers would want to capitalize on the show's popularity. They will want it to coincide with next season's premier.

I would guess that the book would come out @ a month to two weeks before next season starts. About the same time this season's DVD comes out.

That would give GRRM about 2 years to finish book 7 (assuming the show goes 7 seasons), but he would need a rough draft in a year or year and a half for the writers to write the final season.

Considering that the most recent "show spoiler" is from a 14 years old book... this is reasonable and logical.

Whether or not "reasonable and logical" play a part in the actual release dates, this one remains optimistic.

Archived