Reasons Westeros could turn on Dany?

chrisdaw

It's not like Aegon and Dany are arriving at the same time and Westeros is going to have a choice between them. The immediate choice, especially for those allied to House Lannister, is whether to hang on, or make a deal with Aegon. The Tyrells have had little reason to openly break with the Lannisters, as they have essentially come into control of the king. But they may have to decide soon what makes more sense for their future, Tommen or Aegon. Dany will only come along later IMO when most have either openly cast their lot against the Lannisters, or gone down supporting them (which I don't see happening to too great an extent). Dany is IMO the one who will have to choose whether to fight an already established king that has for the most part been accepted as Aegon VI, or accept a role secondary to what she envisions now.

Not to mention Dorne will likely back Aegon. The Reach and the westerlands too (I think?) are too tied up with the Greyjoys to dedicate too many forces to fight off Aegon, who already has the Stormlands bending the knee to him, to boot. The Tyrells nor Lannisters can't logistically go after Aegon without losing everything else, so he kind of has them by the scrotes.. not to mention Varys has a way of making things happen when he wants to.

Please, like Robert Baratheon had skill in anything besides swinging a warhammer and drinking and whoring. You don't need to be a political genius to be an inspiring leader.

Also helps if the current king is mad as a hatter...

So lets give a quick look to the scenario

a - Stannis won't ally with Aegon. That would throw his claim to the crown out of the window

b - The Boltons are too busy fighting Stannis. The 'rebelling' families have their hands tied as their family members are in firm Lannister hands

c - Tyrells will side with the Lannisters

d - The Freys won't betray the Lannisters. They have too much to lose.

e - Dorne may join the Aegon but they do lack the numbers

f - The Greyjoys prefer Danny to him

Dorne + Golden Company will not be enough to beat Tyrells-Lannisters-Frey and possibly Boltons forces. I can see Aegon struggling after a decent side only for Danny to save the day. They will end up married and their forces would sweep the enemy away

Lannisters and Tyrells are far too busy with other matters, and with house Lannister falling apart more and more as time goes by I'm sure the Tyrells will take the safer bet and go with Aegon.

Wouldn't be shocked if he was met with open gates upon riding into King's Landing

Aerys never really bothered the smallfolk though. The people supported their lords out of loyalty, not really because Aerys was a madman.

Sure. But he was still mad. The small people may have been "okay" with the Mad King but doesn't change that he was crazed. And honestly, how long before he turend on them? He did want to use wildfire IIRC on KL during the rebellion. How many of the small folk would have died then?

Sure. But he was still mad. The small people may have been "okay" with the Mad King but doesn't change that he was crazed. And honestly, how long before he turend on them? He did want to use wildfire IIRC on KL during the rebellion. How many of the small folk would have died then?

Around half a million, but nobody knew about that except Jaime. My original point was Robert Baratheon was a very inspirational leader for the rebels.

Please, like Robert Baratheon had skill in anything besides swinging a warhammer and drinking and whoring. You don't need to be a political genius to be an inspiring leader.

An inspiring leader is not the same as being an able or skilled governor/administrator. Robert was, by and large, a pretty piss-poor king who was propped up by able administrators. Dany is an inspiring leader, but that is not the same as her being a good administrator/governor. Being an inspiring leader will only do so much, as Robert demonstrates and as Dany demonstrates.

ETA: Also your defensiveness is amusing, given that I missed the part where Bright Blue Eyes held up Robert as an example of quality rulership.

So lets give a quick look to the scenario

a - Stannis won't ally with Aegon. That would throw his claim to the crown out of the window

b - The Boltons are too busy fighting Stannis. The 'rebelling' families have their hands tied as their family members are in firm Lannister hands

c - Tyrells will side with the Lannisters

d - The Freys won't betray the Lannisters. They have too much to lose.

e - Dorne may join the Aegon but they do lack the numbers

f - The Greyjoys prefer Danny to him

Dorne + Golden Company will not be enough to beat Tyrells-Lannisters-Frey and possibly Boltons forces. I can see Aegon struggling after a decent side only for Danny to save the day. They will end up married and their forces would sweep the enemy away

What if Mace is betrayed and ends up dead by some of the GC's friends in the reach and Aegon takes Marge hostage when he takes KL? What does the allegedly pious Willas do when the HS says Aegon is king and If he bends the knee he'll get back his sister, and the IT's help defending against the iron born? What would isolationist Olenna, she who wanted the Tyrells to stay well clear of the IT in the first place be advising him?

The North, well they've got their own problems and don't need to go adding Southron problems into the mix. Besides, no-one cares about them.

Riverlands will likely be a mess for a while with Lady Stoneheart running the show.

And the Lannisters, if Aegon takes Tommen who are they going to crown? Myrcella? Ward of Aegon's wife down there in Dorne? With Cersei taken in KL and Jaime Stoneheart's guest who will even lead the West?

Lannisters and Tyrells are far too busy with other matters, and with house Lannister falling apart more and more as time goes by I'm sure the Tyrells will take the safer bet and go with Aegon.

Wouldn't be shocked if he was met with open gates upon riding into King's Landing

That's what I would do to be honest. But there again we have the bigger picture to our advantage (ie we know that Dany is coming with a big force). However, 10,000 Golden Company are peanuts compared to the 80,000 soldiers (the Reach). Not to forget the Crown Lands (10,000) and the Westerlands (around 30,000)

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Military_forces_of_the_Seven_Kingdoms

The Tyrells may CHOOSE to abandon Tommen and ally with Aegon. The Lannisters have a very unstable future, and the Tyrells are not going to want to fight two wars against two enemies at home and in KL. If Aegon has as much success as I suspect he will, it is almost a no brainer to try to hook up with him. Especially since he is of age to produce an heir, something Tommen won't be for a while assuming he survives in power that long. The Freys and Boltons cast their lots with a family that has lost its power to protect with Tywin's death. All Aegon would have to do is oppose the ones everyone already hates and wants to see pay in the Riverlands and North. There's not a ton of regions sure to be hostile to him, even if some accept him with more of a wait and see. If he can take King's Landing I think he has a good chance to being acknowledged as king by most houses.

Somehow I doubt this couple cuddled with their dog afterwards instead of putting it down.

But would you say it is truth or "embellished truth" to say they feed old men to their dog? It's a pretty awful accusation to make but it's the one you're levelling here.

Also, she chained her dragons up so it wouldn't happen again. Where is the cuddling up?

He was an accomplished general, had a knack for turning enemies into friends, got the basics of administration and diplomacy down, and had the good sense to appoint Jon Arryn, Ned Stark and Stannis Baratheon to their posts. Compared to Dany, that's way above what she showed.

And he's an awful ruler despite that.

That's what I would do to be honest. But there again we have the bigger picture to our advantage (ie we know that Dany is coming with a big force). However, 10,000 Golden Company are peanuts compared to the 80,000 soldiers (the Reach). Not to forget the Crown Lands (10,000) and the Westerlands (around 30,000)

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Military_forces_of_the_Seven_Kingdoms

Aegon will likely gather the Stormlords, 25,000 remaining, give or take. Dorne for certain, 30,000 right there. Lord Rowan of the Reach showed Targ loyalties, Lord Tarly is seriously pissed courtesy of the Tyrells, Lord Hightower needs help against the Ironborn. A couple other Lords as well. The Crownlanders were all good dragon men.

By the way, the numbers in that article are a bit off. The Westerlands are down to 3,000 (three, not thirty) men, for example.

But would you say it is truth or "embellished truth" to say they feed old men to their dog? It's a pretty awful accusation to make but it's the one you're levelling here.

Also, she chained her dragons up so it wouldn't happen again. Where is the cuddling up?

That would be beyond the embellished truth, while Dany is in the shady area where both is possible. Furthermore, "grossly negligent" would be the vocabulary I'd use here.

"Mother of Dragons". And all that "my children, my children, my children", as well as her connection with Drogon. She is stressing her personal, emotional connection to them instead of treating them as dangerous WMDs, who sometimes cause "accidents", but are worth the risk.

He was an accomplished general, had a knack for turning enemies into friends, got the basics of administration and diplomacy down, and had the good sense to appoint Jon Arryn, Ned Stark and Stannis Baratheon to their posts. Compared to Dany, that's way above what she showed.

And he's an awful ruler despite that.

Aegon will likely gather the Stormlords, 25,000 remaining, give or take. Dorne for certain, 30,000 right there. Lord Rowan of the Reach showed Targ loyalties, Lord Tarly is seriously pissed courtesy of the Tyrells, Lord Hightower needs help against the Ironborn. A couple other Lords as well. The Crownlanders were all good dragon men.

By the way, the numbers in that article are a bit off. The Westerlands are down to 3,000 (three, not thirty) men, for example.

That would be beyond the embellished truth, while Dany is in the shady area where both is possible. Furthermore, "grossly negligent" would be the vocabulary I'd use here.

"Mother of Dragons". And all that "my children, my children, my children", as well as her connection with Drogon. She is stressing her personal, emotional connection to them instead of treating them as dangerous WMDs, who sometimes cause "accidents", but are worth the risk.

Why would the Stormlords want to follow Aegon?

Why would the Stormlords want to follow Aegon?

Well, the GC is seizing the Stormlands, and forcing the lords to pledge their support to Aegon.

Rain House, Mistwood, Crow's Nest, Greenstone and Tarth have fallen to them.

Connington is still remembered, and he knows the stormlords don't love Stannis and have little reason to love the Lannisters.

I love how some people use Tyrells synonymously with the whole Reach. In times of conflicts we know a lot of petty lords defying their overlords. The Reach is too big and right now being ravaged by Euron while the Tyrells are not able to protect their lands.

I think Euron will attack Oldtown but JonCon will arrive just in time to save the day with his Dornishmen and Stormlanders. In Oldtown, fAegon will be crowned and both the Redwynes and Hightowers will bend knee to him. With them, most of the Reach will be fAegon’s. And they will follow him until the bitter end.

Archived