[Book Spoilers] EP410 Discussion

Ran

Jaime wouldn't have sent Brienne off if he didn't think she could handle herself. I don't really see why Brienne defeating all these guys is so controversial. I guess people don't like the whole "girl power", or that she's defeating people's favourite character that they imagined to be the best.

Her character is the best. She has the best qualities of being a Knight. She routinely shames people who look down on her. She's everything people claim they wish to be but because she's a woman they underestimate her. I wonder if they had Barristan defeat Sandor people would complain that it was unrealistic that an old guy could do that? I doubt it. There's a line in the book where Barristan says something about how the greatest fighter can easily be defeated by something really small.

And about Jaime and Cersei. I've seen peope say that without Tyrion telling him about who Cersei fucked, there's no reason for him to turn against her. But isn't the fact he released Tyrion a sign that he has? Isn't it enough that Cersei is a terrible person enough? What does that say about his character that it takes Cersei sleeping with other people to make him turn.

No, because he slept with her in the same episode he released Tyrion. They were well on track for Jaime and Cersei to fall apart and then have that driven harder when Lancel confesses to Jaime but all that work has been undermined. Hugely. To make Cersei look better, AGAIN. Jaime and Tyrion's dynamic is changed too, though I imagine Jaime won't forgive Tyrion for killing Tywin. It's not ruined, it's just now the Lannisters are essentially completely different to the books, but that has been going on a while.

As for Brienne, beating the Hound is huge, he's a much better fighter than anyone she has a fair fight (so not the Jaime one) against in the books. Not to say she couldn't win but it is another example of D&D changing things to make certain characters look better than they do on page and certain ones look worse (poor Stannis ;) )

She might not be as strong or as experienced as the hound, but that doesn't mean she'd always lose every time they fought. Everyone has off days, and even experts make mistakes. People are acting like it's a total imposibility for her to come out on top.

Which is typical of poor reasoning.

Loved the Hound's final moments...so very Prime.

One shall stand, one shall fall. Ace ace fight.

Personally I didn't feel it was cartoonist. A fight to the death, two warriors who are trained from childhood to fight, adrenaline pumping, people can do some crazy stuff.

Say what you will about the Brienne vs. Hound fight being reduced to feminism blah blah blah but dammmn Rory's performance in this one was exquisite. Every line of his was delivered flawlessly, IMO. In fact I never realized how great his acting was until this scene, and it's the only one that I've actually watched over again from the Ep.

"Safety? Where the FUCK's that?! Her aunt in the Eyre's dead. Her mother's dead. Her father's dead. Her brother's dead. Winterfell is a pile of rubble. There's no safety anymore you DUMB BITCH."

I have come to really appreciate Rory. I watched his scene from the first ep over and over.

Has anyone mentioned how awesome the dude who played the father of the girl killed by Drogon was? That dude broke my fucking heart, he was amazing in every way & I can't even find a credit for him on imdb :bs: Who is the actor? He *nailed* that scene.

http://winteriscoming.net/2014/01/08/season-4-casting-notes-roundup/

English actor Darren Kent will be playing a goatherd on an Alex Graves-directed episode in season 4, according to his CV. In an interview with the Southend Standard, Kent chats about meeting Nathalie Emmanuel and shared this photo of him in costume. He also hints at a storyline for the upcoming season with a few specifics. We’ve posted these *spoilers comments below the cut.*

http://winteriscoming.net/2014/01/08/season-4-casting-notes-roundup/

English actor Darren Kent will be playing a goatherd on an Alex Graves-directed episode in season 4, according to his CV. In an interview with the Southend Standard, Kent chats about meeting Nathalie Emmanuel and shared this photo of him in costume. He also hints at a storyline for the upcoming season with a few specifics. We’ve posted these *spoilers comments below the cut.*

Gratitude Halb :cheers:

“It was really harrowing. I didn’t stop crying for 25 minutes after we’d finished filming, I think most of the crew was crying too.”

Does anyone think it's possible that the truth about Tyrion's wife Tysha will be revelaed to him in Season 5? That way, he got his emotional goodbye with Jaime in Season 4, but in Season 5 the truth could be revealed to him which makes him want to swear vengence on the Lannisters (therefore moving back into line with the books)

Does anyone think it's possible that the truth about Tyrion's wife Tysha will be revelaed to him in Season 5? That way, he got his emotional goodbye with Jaime in Season 4, but in Season 5 the truth could be revealed to him which makes him want to swear vengence on the Lannisters (therefore moving back into line with the books)

Can't see who would do it

I think he'd only believe Jaime knew/lied if Jaime says he knew/lied.

Tbh, his outrage at Jaime for that was always a pretty brittle construct. At the time, Jaime would have no real choice, and I doubt he was in on what Tywin intended as follow-up. Telling him afterward would just have made things worse for him. I'm not saying Tyrion wouldn't feel let down, but I think he'd understand pretty quickly.

The blame rested 100% with Tywin. And Tywin doubtless thought of it as a hard lesson that needed learning, and probably didn't consider Tysha's plight at all.

In that case, the question is: Why does she need the additional hype? Pretty fucking boring -- not to mention contrary to the supposed realism of the series -- having one character (and a woman, absurdly!) always winning. It seems clear they're making a political statement or at least they're after the feminist brownie points in the liberal blogosphere.

Sorry but why does this need to a "feminist agenda"?

Ugh I feel sick. This is like that "liberal media" and stuff isn't it?

I find this whole argument pathetic if I am honest and it's actually a complete embarrassment.

Feminist agenda? Honestly... That is... Just ugh

Sorry but why does this need to a "feminist agenda"?

Ugh I feel sick. This is like that "liberal media" and stuff isn't it?

I find this whole argument pathetic if I am honest and it's actually a complete embarrassment.

Feminist agenda? Honestly... That is... Just ugh

Those bloody liberal fembots! They'll have you drinking weirwood paste in no time!

Apologies if my post comes across as angry or offensive but reading all of these "what? A woman beat a man? That just the feminist agenda of the liberal media" makes me feel sick.

For the record, I know women (plural) who can squat more than I can, and I can squat 220lbs no problem, 5 reps.

I don't think it can be that really, Brienne beats plenty of men in the books too, but it's the pattern of using established characters to make another character look better. It's not just Sandor, who would be like Nicola Adams beating a male boxing champion (not impossible at all, but rather more than just a woman beating a man, beating a very very large capable man), but that following beating Jaime easily when Jaime wasn't disadvantaged as he was in the book. It's a commonly used technique in all forms of fiction but is a touch hack-ish

The Hound dying of a wound sustained in a bar fight is so much more mature than a "showdown" which would feel at home in second-rate television, or even a video game.

Tywin dying to one crossbow bolt rather than two, unloading his bowels, with "Wherever whores go" his last line, is so much more dramatic than the version they went with.

Archived