[Book Spoilers] EP410 Discussion

Ran

Has anyone mentioned how awesome the dude who played the father of the girl killed by Drogon was? That dude broke my fucking heart, he was amazing in every way & I can't even find a credit for him on imdb :bs: Who is the actor? He *nailed* that scene.

An idea just occurred.

Might it be best for all parties if the show were to get off the 1:1 ratio? And say make the last 2 books into 3 seasons?

Gives GRRM more time to publish and allows D& D to stop condensing so much.

Well ya exactly, why I wonder if they will just drop the whole Robert Strong thing and just let it be known he is unGregor from the start.

oh i see what you mean now. I think that publicly, (in-universe that is) Gregor Clegane will be declared dead. And someone known as Ser Robert Strong just happens to show up. Of course, the viewer, Cersei, and Qyburn (and Pycelle) know that its really Gregor all...Un'd. But everyone else is like "why does this guy not like, take off his armor?" And he will likely not pop up in the show again until Cersei is imprisoned.

Well ya exactly, why I wonder if they will just drop the whole Robert Strong thing and just let it be known he is unGregor from the start.

The show seems to have a problem with helms. I understand that you need to see the actor's faces, and especially if they're a major character the audience will identify with someone with a face. But I never understood why we always needed to see the Mountain's face in the show. He's almost always wearing his helm in the books, and it would have the perfect effect for viewers if they never saw his face. Not to mention that would totally have fixed the problem of there being confusingly 3 different Mountains in the show. Unsullied probably don't remember the Hound's fight with his brother in season 1, but if the Robert Strong vs. Gravedigger theory is true, I would be a lot happier if it could have been the same actors.

The seeming inhumaness of the perpetually-helmed Ser Robert Strong is what makes him such an enigma in the book. If they just show him as a Drogo'd Mountain in the show, I'm going to be ridiculously pissed off. Judging by the show's issue with helms though, they'll probably go that route.

I don't believe anyone has posted this link to a GRRM interview. Bold is the question. Unbold is GRRM's answer. Made me excited to know we'll learn more about Tywin/Shae relationship in the future.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/06/16/game-of-thrones-finale-martin/

Right, and there’s also the surprise at Tywin’s hypocrisy when he finds her in his bed. Did Tywin know she was a prostitute [in the book version that's not clear]? Or did he just not care?

Oh, I think Tywin knew about Shae. He probably figured out she was the same camp-follower that he expressly said “you will not bring that whore to court,” and that Tyrion defied him again and did bring that whore to court. As to precisely what happened here, that’s something I don’t really want to talk about because there’s still aspects of it I haven’t revealed that will be revealed in later books. But the role of Varys in all of this is also something to be considered.

I always assumed Varys purposefully lead Tyrion to an area where he could hear the two of them on the way out. Felt that was basically confirmed when Varys reveals himself to Kevan. He manipulated Tyrion into killing Tywin. Now, if he put Shae in that room in the first place precisely to motivate Tyrion, rather than opportunistically taking advantage of it after the fact, that's some next-level stuff right there

I don't know if it has been said yet, but what is up with Bloodraven looking like an old man sitting on a throne? I got the impression from the book that he looked more like a tree then a human. They could have at least had some roots sticking out of him going into the ground...

He seriously looked like some old dude sitting on a root throne.

The show producers don't seem to have a very good grasp on the book material anymore, and are having comprehension issues with the material. For instance they include that "Thousand Eyes and One" quote despite Bloodraven having two eyes. I don't think the connection to what that quote was talking about was ever understood by the writers/directors.

The show producers don't seem to have a very good grasp on the book material anymore, and are having comprehension issues with the material. For instance they include that "Thousand Eyes and One" quote despite Bloodraven having two eyes. I don't think the connection to what that quote was talking about was ever understood by the writers/directors.

apparently they can't CGI out one eye but they can raise an army of skeletons

I don't think it's an issue of them not understanding it. It's Rule of Cool + show!canon /= book!canon. "A thousand eyes and two" sounds stupid. "A thousand [things] and one" is a known colloquial expression. For Bloodraven, his mystical abilities overshadow being one-eyed.

Actually, in the "Making of" video, the writers say that Stannis respected Ned and feels an obligation to him for what he did in informing Stannis of his claim to the throne. They said that's why Stannis listens to, and takes, Jon's advice on Mance and on burning the dead. Also, Stannis isn't the type of man who would hold a grudge against someone for something another family member did- like Robb and Jon.

I saw that too, but I don't entirely believe them. I agree that Stannis isn't the type of man who blames the whole family for one member he dislikes, but that probably also means he doesn't respect a whole family for one member he likes. I think learning that Jon was Ned Stark's son got Stannis' attention, but he would never have followed Jon's advice just because of Ned.

Varys staying on the ship is a great narrative choice as he would've just been absent otherwise. (We never really know what he's up to for most of books 4 and 5, so it's a great adaptation choice to give him at least a few scenes with Tyrion and, presumably, Illyrio. The Spider was unfortunately mostly absent this year, and I'd like to see more of him and his own way of scheming.

In the books, we (maybe?) learn about Varys' endgame from the speech he gave to the dying Kevan. In the show, we have the opportunity to see Varys join Aegon and work with him to launch an invasion. Varys has been pretty mellow through the show because whatever happens, it ultimately hasn't been his problem. Aegon puts Varys much closer to the steering wheel and I'd love to see that.

Do we think the show will make it a mystery who Sir Robert Strong is, or just be upfront with the fact he is the mountain?

I think with Cersei worrying if he will be strong, it's gonna be fairly clear

Sati, I think you'll appreciate this. I muted the recap when I watched the episode with my brother and mum and so my mum had no inkling that Stan would arrive. So when the riders came flooding in she was like, "who are they, who are they?" and just like a book reader during that chapter she wondered whether it was the WW. She was really excited and confused. And when she saw it was Stannis, I swear to R'hllor, without any book knowledge or any point of reference to the chant, she said Stannis three times.

They rendered that moment fucking perfectly.

From season 3 final where we left of with Yara/ Asha getting men to rescue Theon I was expecting major Greyjoy action this season including the addation of two (or more) characters, Yara got a grand total of about 5 minutes screen time this season give or take a minute, and just left Theon there, did anyone of her raiders think about ... I don't know knocking him out and carrying him! So we don't know what Yarra is doing at this moment. Also I was expect one Westeros worst Fathers Balon Greyjoy to be dead by now leaving way for the Kingsmoote. So I was kinda hoping to see a little more of Yara/ Asha in the final.

Anyway, I liked the Brienne/ the hound fight, unnecessary if you think about it, they could of all just sat down and worked out where would be safe for Arya,

The Wall? She has a half Brother, and for all she knows her Uncle Benjen (remember him anyone?) may have returned by now. Possibly not a good idea as it is currently over run with wildlings, Stannis (who put cursed Leeches in the fire which may or may not have killed her Brother)

Evenfall hall Brienne's house seat, as strange as you think, that MAY of been safe for her, to hide in for a time. Depending on her Fathers reaction, and Jamie's influence.

Bravvos hey could of all got the HELL out of Westeros, the Hound did state he might join the second sons.

Instead Pod got an even worse repetition as a squire, the hound may be no longer in the series and at the very least lost an ear and Brienne feels preety bad.

Like most fans I was wanting Lady stone heart!!!

Sati, I think you'll appreciate this. I muted the recap when I watched the episode with my brother and mum and so my mum had no inkling that Stan would arrive. So when the riders came flooding in she was like, "who are they, who are they?" and just like a book reader during that chapter she wondered whether it was the WW. She was really excited and confused. And when she saw it was Stannis, I swear to R'hllor, without any book knowledge or any point of reference to the chant, she said Stannis three times.

They rendered that moment fucking perfectly.

That's so awesome! people really seem to like this scene, I heard accounts of clapping and cheering :)

Has anyone mentioned how awesome the dude who played the father of the girl killed by Drogon was? That dude broke my fucking heart, he was amazing in every way & I can't even find a credit for him on imdb :bs: Who is the actor? He *nailed* that scene.

That guy was superb. He had me convinced that in the books it really was Drogon who killed the girl; sort of disputed the whole theory of "we don't know it was Drogon that did it." But we'll see.

Archived