Season 5 Casting v.2

Chebyshov

Yeah, I guess he must have gotten out of town. Cant find any recent news about him.

Doran will likely be announced this summer, he's their biggest announcement this year after all. Still hope for equal news concerning Victarion, Euron and Arianne.

The Kindly Man (or the Waif) should have a pretty important role season 5 as well.

It'd be great if they do a Comic Con video for the casting, like they did season 3. I was so disapointed they didnt do it for season 4, but there were less characters to introduce.

If all goes right, we should be getting quite the pack of new characters this season and if they deliver us a Comic Con video, it could go wild !

By not including Willas and Garlan in the show, I wonder if they'll be killed in TWOW by the Ironborn.

GRRM said already it was a mistake to cut them because they will be doing stuff in twow.

I think Ciaran did very well in "the Children" as Mance. The "we do not kneel" seems to have gone over well with Unsullied who probably didn't remember all too well his season 3 scenes. (Which I thought were just fine btw, though an actor like Hinds ought to have been given more to do then).

Cirian es perfect whenever they call him to be perfect, with sadly, doesn't happen very often.

Several of these would be ineligible if they're looking for someone Latino. Alexander Siddig would be great, but he's not Latino, so he's out. Edward James Olmos seems too old to play Doran (the actor is 28 years older than Pedro Pascal). Damian Alcazar is only six years younger than EJO, so same problem. I don't think they could afford Bardem, and he's too young (45) besides.

You're thinking big names because those Latinos are big. Considering that Pascal was relatively unknown, I wonder if some local stars are trying to get the role, specially from Mexico, which produces a lot of actors every year, and some are quite memorable and talented. I've known friends here in Perú who would have loved to try even for a minor Dornish role, because we have the Pascal look and could do well. For example, just the first result I got from googling was Fernando Colunga. Is a well known Mexican Actor and he's 48. And he's not even a top talented actor but he could do fine. I'll try to ask my friends who watch more novelas than I do and see who they think could play Doran.

I dunno about the merits of presumptively favouring a "name" actor over a (relative) unknown all other things being equal. First of all, one doesn't need to be a big "name" to have

I would bet dollars to doughnuts that whoever is cast as Doran will be someone who's a stranger to the vast majority of fans. Just as with Oberyn, when the news comes out I suspect we'll be thinking "...Who?". Personally, I wouldn't mind someone like Demian Bichir for Doran--right age (50), gobs of charisma, good actor--even though he's far from an unknown, but he's tied up writing, directing, and starring in his own project, so I think we can rule him out.

I reckon so. GoT is littered with fresh (acting) faces and relatively unknowns. The first series was chockblock full of 'names', but as people have been added, that is rarer. I would surmise that the show knows with lesser known faces the mystery and 'who is this and what are they doing' element is greater.

True enough, Coldhands.

Do we all think Ciaran will be back next year to do Abel's duties btw?

Yes.

But will they work around the glamour? I hope they don't even consider to burn Tormund. He should assume Val's role in the mission to strike a deal with the Wildlings (and become Jon's love interest).

That burning Mance thing is something I hope to R'hllor that they avoid. Glamour or no glamour, it's so much easier to just not fake kill him.

But if they don't go through with it there's no reason for Jon to send Aemon away. Also, this is pretty much their last chance to reintroduce Lightbringer (since it apparently becomes important in the Pink Letter, used as "proof" that Stannis is dead). Also, it was a cool Melisandre scene. I think they will include it to a certain degree.

That burning Mance thing is something I hope to R'hllor that they avoid. Glamour or no glamour, it's so much easier to just not fake kill him.

What was the point of that nonsense in the books anyway? Martin has really gone overboard with quasi-deaths, fake deaths and undeaths.

But if they don't go through with it there's no reason for Jon to send Aemon away. Also, this is pretty much their last chance to reintroduce Lightbringer (since it apparently becomes important in the Pink Letter, used as "proof" that Stannis is dead). Also, it was a cool Melisandre scene. I think they will include it to a certain degree.

Well they could have Aemon just die at the Wall early on; I would prefer that he's on the boat with Sam and discussing the Prince that was Promised, but I could see them wanting to trim the fat there. He dies, Jon uses that as a catalyst to send Sam to the Citadel. I don't know why Gilly would go, or leave her baby behind if the point of Gilly was to bring a Craster's son to the Wall. This is all assuming there's going to be no Val or Mance Jr., which I just don't see how they can incorporate right now.

I still can't believe Jon's not through his ASOS material. My guess is they want to delay his stabbing til S6 so we don't lose Kit for an entire year, but I'm not sure where else his storyline can leave off next year. Letting the Wildlings through?

The purpose of it, presumably, is that it very sharply highlights that she has an agenda congruent with but different from Stannis -- and it's another clue to the fact that that agenda allows her to lie to him, even about substantial things. We've had hints, but if you look at it as part of the "three part revelation strategy" that Anne Groell has talked about, this one fits (Part 1: Salla says that sword isn't really Lightbringer, Stannis thinks it doesn't really do anything special, Aemon notes it doesn't give off heat. Part 2: The leech ceremony, which seems like her simply claiming credit for events she knows are going to happen. Step 3: Outright revealing that she saved Mance without Stannis being aware of the fact. All together: she'll lie for her beliefs, even to -- maybe especially to -- Stannis.)

Also gives us our first concrete example of her ability to create glamors for people... which probably are in play when it comes to her appearance, too.

If the show wants to avoid the magical aspects of it, I suppose they could have her help Mance escape on the promise that he'll serve her in secret while hiding out or something.

Definitely. The main reaction to Mance I've seen from Unsullied after The Children is "I'm glad he lived. We haven't seen enough of him." If they seemingly kill him off in the first couple episodes, it will seem pointless because the show hasn't done enough with Mance for his "death" to have an impact. Then he'll come back after a few episodes, and it will seem even more pointless.

I can see them just keeping him in chains until Jon sends him to Winterfell. Or maybe they burn Rattleshirt but keep the audience in the know the whole time.

Any thoughts on re-casting Mrycella? I think she literally got only 1 line but I liked Aimee Richardson and was kind of hoping they would bring her back. She does a lot of twitter, other social media outlets and seems really passionate about the role. When I look at her I can see her as a current Myrcella also. I don't know much about the person they are thinking about bumping her for, but I assume they would be a good fit. I'm not a huge fan of re-casting characters in general, although so far I'm pretty much fine with the ones they have done. I just hope they don't get to excessive with it. If Aimee can act, let her reprise the role I say. It hurts the show a bit when a brand new face comes on for an established character.

Is there any reason why Theon could have not written the Pink Letter to Jon?

Motivation: doesn't believe Stannis can beat the Boltons. Theon is terrified of Ramsay. Theon wants to lure Jon out to help Stannis

Knowledge: Knowledge of both the Boltons and Stannis. Knows what would make Jon tick since he grew up with him.

Missing link: knowledge of Mance is the only missing link. There's a chance that Theon could eventually find out who he is before he writes the letter. Such as explaining Abel to Stannis or if Mance escaped from the Boltons and was also captured by Stannis later on

Yeah, recasting Myrcella sucks. Especially since she'll end up learning about it on the internet. They should have at least given her a call and explained things.

Though to be honest, Aimee seemed to be doing a great job in the first two seasons. Unless she has some mind blowing TWOW material ahead of her, I don't see why you really need an accomplished actress to do it (not that the new girl is much of an accomplished actress) and I would rather keep her- because she was great so far, because continuity matters (especially in GOT) and because she is a big fan of the show and it is really insensitive to switch her just for the sake of it.

But what can we do about it. It's already done. Hopefully the new girl will be alright, Tommen certainly turned out to be great after the recast.

IF they want to delay the stabbing (which I doubt) then they could always expand on Hardhome and have Jon go there instead of Cotter Pyke. It would make up for not showing the battle at the fist...

They wont delay the Jon Julio Cesar moment, it will be most likely the episode 9 or 10 moment. However the Hardhome incident would be great to show the unsullied the WW are getting closer. And soon will be at the wall

Any thoughts on re-casting Mrycella? I think she literally got only 1 line but I liked Aimee Richardson and was kind of hoping they would bring her back. She does a lot of twitter, other social media outlets and seems really passionate about the role. When I look at her I can see her as a current Myrcella also. I don't know much about the person they are thinking about bumping her for, but I assume they would be a good fit. I'm not a huge fan of re-casting characters in general, although so far I'm pretty much fine with the ones they have done. I just hope they don't get to excessive with it. If Aimee can act, let her reprise the role I say. It hurts the show a bit when a brand new face comes on for an established character.

Ya, I also hate recasting, like the new Daario, but anyways, but like above perhaps Myrcella has a much larger role in the future, and will have a larger role in s5 than in AFFC.

The person who wrote the pink letter is the name on it, it was ramsay. It is his writing style and his type of language. He most likley thinks he has won, stannis probably faked his death and allowed manderly to bring his sword to ramsay. Now he is trying to get his reek and bride back so he sent the letter to Jon assuming they are with him.

Awww, Aimee Richardson. I'm so sad for her. She's always been very much present in the fandom, a real enthusiast. This has got to hurt, especially after that picture she posted where she put the crown on her head. She really expected to be back, it seems.

Not that I blame D&D. They probably had a good reason for recasting, but still... Aimee was such a champ. It's depressing to even think about it.

Archived