Season 5 Casting v.2

Chebyshov

Honestly I'm pretty tough on D&D, but you people on this whole recasting Myrcella thing are just ridiculous.

It's like you think they're some mustache twirling villains who spends all day figuring out ways to screw over a little girl actress.

You have no idea what is required of the role in the upcoming season and you have no idea based on Richardson's performance so far whether she is up to the task.

But no, it must be because these guys are idiots or these guys are mean.

It's pathetic.

If she wasn't up to the task of season 5 she shouldn't have been cast in the first place, it's really that simple.

You come across as some who haven't the faintest clue about the basic realities of TV production.

Okay. Educate me.

What is the basic reality of TV production that would cause the casting of an actress in a role who lacks the skill level needed to act the role?

What is the basic reality of TV production that caused them to need to recast Tommen and Mycella through no fault of their own?

What is the basic reality of TV production that prevented them from casting a Tommen and Mycella who would not need to be recast?

Okay. Educate me.

What is the basic reality of TV production that would cause the casting of an actress in a role who lacks the skill level needed to act the role?

What is the basic reality of TV production that caused them to need to recast Tommen and Mycella through no fault of their own?

What is the basic reality of TV production that prevented them from casting a Tommen and Mycella who would not need to be recast?

Okay here goes.

When you're working with a limited budget for the season you try to fit the maximum possible into the budget.

You aren't thinking about following seasons, you don't even know if there'll be another season you just try to do the best possible for this season.

So when you have a very small role that is not very demanding you go out and just get a glorified extra. It's not even just about the salary for the actress, casting itself is expensive. Expensive in terms of resources and expenses in terms of time because you have to take the time look at all the casting reels. And when you're as busy as these guys are just to get the 10 episodes done every year they're not going to waste time when they don't need to.

When a new season cames and the role does require a lot of of acting chops they're going to open up the casting again and as I've understood it Richardson did get a chance to retry for the role and she was just passed over in favor someone deemed better.

This is what happened with Beric, this is what happened with Tommen, and this is what happened with Myrcella.

Casting Tom Felton as Aegon, after he most famously played another entitled, super blonde little shit (whose name means "dragon") from a great family, is a little too on the nose. What's next, Jason Isaacs as JonCon? On the other hand, they did cast Anne Boleyn as the ASOIAF equivalent of Anne Boleyn, so...

I also doubt his looks or his acting is up to snuff. The former would be forgivable if his acting were amazing (as with Alfie Allen playing the handsome Theon), but I haven't seen anything to suggest that it is. The show seems to have a hard time casting superhot actors to play superhot characters, though, so if Aegon is cast, I doubt he'll be as attractive as Aegon is supposed to be, as with the show versions of Loras, Renly, Joffrey, Theon, etc. etc.

Casting Tom Felton as Aegon, after he most famously played another entitled, super blonde little shit (whose name means "dragon") from a great family, is a little too on the nose. What's next, Jason Isaacs as JonCon? On the other hand, they did cast Anne Boleyn as the ASOIAF equivalent of Anne Boleyn, so...

I also doubt his looks or his acting is up to snuff. The former would be forgivable if his acting were amazing (as with Alfie Allen playing the handsome Theon), but I haven't seen anything to suggest that it is. The show seems to have a hard time casting superhot actors to play superhot characters, though, so if Aegon is cast, I doubt he'll be as attractive as Aegon is supposed to be, as with the show versions of Loras, Renly, Joffrey, Theon, etc. etc.

Maybe you're right. I just kept thinking of him when I read the books. I've seen him in a medieval sword fighting role and I thought he could fit the part, even if he is maybe way too associated with Malfoy. Where I disagree with you is that I rather like his acting but never thought of him as attractive.

If they were going with the ginger route for the Young Griff I would love to see Eddie Redmayne...

From a strictly aesthetic perspective, I imagine Aegon as having "male model"-type good looks, if that makes any sense: cheekbones that could cut glass, pouty lips, striking or unusual eyes. Beautiful, but not accessible. Less Henry Cavill and more Jonathan Rhys Meyers. The problem is finding someone like that who can act.

Harry Lloyd and Emilia Clarke both have green eyes, so it will be interesting to see if they cast for that. Harry and Emilia also look like they could be siblings, so I wonder if Aegon will be cast in that mold.

OMG. WTF. IIRC. LMFAO.

Okay.

Because I don't think they're jerks who fire people because hey why not. There's probably a strong reason for this, we don't know. I won't point fingers without knowing anything conclusive. Anyway, what do we really know about Aimee's acting abilites? Nothing. She had something like 3-4 lines in the entire show. If there's Myrcella's increased presence in S5 which requires some serious acting chops, it may well be that Aimee's not up to the task. For all we know, maybe they did have a closed audition with her and she just wasn't all that good.

As I said, I'm bummed about this as well.

We can say with reasonable certainty that Aimee was not asked back to audition for a second time because she tweeted not long ago about the possibility of being recast, but didn't know whether she had or not. It seems they've recast her without actually telling her or giving her the chance to audition again. That's just not cool, especially given how passionate Aimee is about the role. The girl is probably devastated and they don't even give her a shot at getting back in the show.

My understanding from people who actually know is that Aimee did audition for the part again, in competition with other actresses, and the production has gone with a new actress. I think she last tweeted about not knowing whether she was being recast or not was early in June, and for all we know the auditions happened more recently than that, so I don't suppose anything Aimee has said would be in conflict with that.

*Sighs and steps forward* I'll take one for the team and play Aegon next season. Not because I want to, but for the good of the show.

Okay here goes.

When you're working with a limited budget for the season you try to fit the maximum possible into the budget.

You aren't thinking about following seasons, you don't even know if there'll be another season you just try to do the best possible for this season.

So when you have a very small role that is not very demanding you go out and just get a glorified extra. It's not even just about the salary for the actress, casting itself is expensive. Expensive in terms of resources and expenses in terms of time because you have to take the time look at all the casting reels. And when you're as busy as these guys are just to get the 10 episodes done every year they're not going to waste time when they don't need to.

When a new season cames and the role does require a lot of of acting chops they're going to open up the casting again and as I've understood it Richardson did get a chance to retry for the role and she was just passed over in favor someone deemed better.

This is what happened with Beric, this is what happened with Tommen, and this is what happened with Myrcella.

You're making excuses for them. No show knows whether they're going to succeed or fail, but most shows don't have this degree of recasting, in fact, most shows don't have any recasting at all unless someone dies. And I dispute the idea that casting someone, who would be an unknown no matter what, and thus still cheap, is appreciably harder or more expensive whether they can or can't act or are the right age for the role going forward. These casting choices were mistakes.

You're making excuses for them. No show knows whether they're going to succeed or fail, but most shows don't have this degree of recasting, in fact, most shows don't have any recasting at all unless someone dies. And I dispute the idea that casting someone, who would be an unknown no matter what, and thus still cheap, is appreciably harder or more expensive whether they can or can't act or are the right age for the role going forward. These casting choices were mistakes.

Most shows don't have a cast that's one fifth the size of this show. Nothing like this show has ever been done for TV.

Most shows don't have a cast that's one fifth the size of this show. Nothing like this show has ever been done for TV.

This is true, but that doesn't make a mistake not a mistake. And for that matter, while the vast majority of the show has been amazingly cast, it's not like 2 of the 3 most central characters, no offense to Kit or Emilia are the second coming of Lawrence Olivier and Katherine Hepburn, they're decent, sometimes good, sometimes very shaky, on occasion, downright bad.

If I recall correctly, Aimee Richardson and Callum Wharry were just used as stand-ins for Tommen and Myrcella for the pilot and they kept them on when the series was picked up because they cost next to nothing. It would not have made sense to go out and find actors to play these roles and plan three years down the road when they didn't know if they would even get to the point where Myrcella and Tommen play important roles. I can't remember where I heard this, so I may be wrong about it.

Kind of off topic but do you guys think Haldon, Rolly, Yandry, and Ysilla will make the cut?

Yandry and Ysilla almost certainly not. We could possibly get either Rolly or Haldon but not both imo. The only ones who I'd say are assured are The Griffs, but just two people on a boat seems a bit sparse so I'd bet on Lemore as well (who has some hidden identity stuff going on).

It is not a coincidence that they cast a local kid from the Belfast area as Myrcella back in season one. She was a glorified extra who had a grand total of I believe 3 lines in two season. They did not go on an exhaustive audition process like they did for Sophie, Maisie and Isaac because it was not needed the first season and would have been a complete waste of time that could be better spent elsewhere. You can criticize them for recasting the Mountain or for recasting Daario but criticizing them for this for not thinking 5 years down the road seems to be quite ridiculous.

It is not a coincidence that they cast a local kid from the Belfast area as Myrcella back in season one. She was a glorified extra who had a grand total of I believe 3 lines in two season. They did not go on an exhaustive audition process like they did for Sophie, Maisie and Isaac because it was not needed the first season and would have been a complete waste of time that could be better spent elsewhere. You can criticize them for recasting the Mountain or for recasting Daario but criticizing them for this seems to be quite ridiculous.

They're up to half a dozen recasts now. Not to mention the new Tommen was the old Martin Lannister, LOL, and not even counting whatever the hell happened with the guy who played the Greatjon.

Yandry and Ysilla almost certainly not. We could possibly get either Rolly or Haldon but not both imo. The only ones who I'd say are assured are The Griffs, but just two people on a boat seems a bit sparse so I'd bet on Lemore as well (who has some hidden identity stuff going on).

Damn.Yeah you're probably right. I feel like Haldon is more likely to be cast. But if Yandry and Ysilla are cut, then how will they explain like where they got the boat / who is manning it?

Archived