Open Beer Review? What are you drinking now?

Nas!

In celebration of my last day at work for three weeks I've decided to drink all of the beer. Starting off with a Stone & Wood pacific ale followed by a Kaiju Behemoth which is somewhat brutal black IPA at 10.8%, but I'm enjoying quite a bit.

Also, a cocktail called "Brave Bull" which, despite being only Tequila and Kahlua (and ice) took well past 15 mins to prepare (in an empty bar), and nearly knocked me out when it did arrive hehe. Not my kind of cocktail really, but as beautifully prepared as can be.

Oooooh! A Black Russian with tequila instead of vodka. Sounds very drinkable. And if you add milk or cream, it's a Dirty Bird! Right up my alley! :D

Went to liquory.

Saw both Unapologetic IPA and RuinTen.

Panicked.

Bought both.

Hey there, Mr. Panda, are you in the States on vacation, or are you back?

I do like that gin. I've had two different bartenders make me Aviation cocktails (gin, maraschino liqueur, and lemon juice -- and for the really traditional old school folks, a dash of creme de violette to make it look like the sky) with Aviation gin without me asking. The first time was the first time I ever had Aviation gin while out in Portland. I asked for bartender's choice with that particular gin and he said, "So, I made you an Aviation cocktail because it seemed appropriate." The next time was back in NYC, where I ordered an Aviation and the bartender decided she would use the gin that shares its name because she could. I've also had Aviation gin in Martinis several times and enjoyed it.

Damn, now I want an Aviation.

That sounds like a great cocktail! Now I want one too! Is there a cocktail bar in London we can check out?

You should panic more often, Herr Panda.

I still have the RuinTen. Because I wandered past a new liquory and bought Flat Earth Brewing's Black Helicopter Coffee Porter and Northwest Passage IPA. The former was okay (though my sister liked it). The latter was heavenly and I want to make a decent woman out of it.

ETA: Fragile Bird - I am back for just a couple more weeks. I had some things going on here the last couple months, but my new job is in Hanoi, end of August. Trying to drink as much amazing beer as I can while I am still here :)

London has a hundred great cocktail bars. And a hundred of every kind of bar. We are a city of life loving alcoholics.

I'm keeping it Polish again tonight. Tyskie. SMASH!

Helles Schlenkerla Lagerbier. This should really read Hellyes, IMO, but I'll just claim it's an error passed down over the years.

Oh yeah, the other beers i mentioned before are Cervesas del Montseny, from Catalunya. One is a Pale Ale (Malta), and the other is an Íber Ale (Ecolupulus). I've never had the latter before, so I am saving it for later.

Port city Wipeout and pizza with mommie dearest

So I'm gonna be THAT guy and point out that while Wipeout is an absolutely fantastic IPA (one of my favorite American IPAs overall, in fact), it's made by Port Brewing from southern California, not Port City Brewing from Virginia.

:leaving:

ETA: That's one of the few non-New England beers I pick up when I travel through that area, as they don't distribute to NYC.

So I'm gonna be THAT guy and point out that while Wipeout is an absolutely fantastic IPA (one of my favorite American IPAs overall, in fact), it's made by Port Brewing from southern California, not Port City Brewing from Virginia.

:leaving:

ETA: That's one of the few non-New England beers I pick up when I travel through that area, as they don't distribute to NYC.

Ah, good to know. The beer menu had it listed as Port City, and I guess I didn't pay too much attention to the label. But agreed, it's a damn good IPA

Yes, London has many renowned cocktail bars, though the majority of my boozing in the UK has been beer and whisky related, so I don't know any off the top of my head.

I have some cocktail whizkids on standby this week to make me some bespoke beer cocktail creations. Will report back. Oh, and a master of beer:food pairing is going to distill some hops for me and create some terrifying beer essence type thing. <3

Archived