Open Beer Review? What are you drinking now?

Nas!

India Pale Ale was not "created to survive the trip to India." That's marketing hooey from the turn of the last century. There has been a lot of scholarship in the last five years on the history of English brewing, and that old canard about the origins of IPAs has been thoroughly debunked. Strong, hopped-to-hell pale ales, already being made for years and sold exclusively in the English market, just happened to survive the voyage well and became popular. Brewers used that to spin a tale to sell more beer. But make no mistake: these beers were not created to be sold in India.

West Coast IPA should absolutely be consumed fresh. In fact, even a couple of weeks in the bottle will affect the hop character, as the hop aroma molecules are easily scavenged and broken down. We drink our triple IPA as soon as it is conditioned, to make sure the hop character is as robust as it should be. It all depends on what kind of character you want out of your beer. Big hop-forward beers will always be best fresh. Those who look to balance hop character with malt presence are more forgiving of storage. Old ales or stock ales do well with some aging (they may have a lot of hop bitterness, but they will not have hop aroma).

Xray, I demand the triple ipa in mass quantities poured directly down my gullet.

I'm bringing you a bottle.

ETA: Which is to say I am bringing half of the remaining supply.

West Coast IPA should absolutely be consumed fresh. In fact, even a couple of weeks in the bottle will affect the hop character, as the hop aroma molecules are easily scavenged and broken down.

Sing it, sister.

Lily,

Abita isn't bad stuff.

Ser Scott, I had to read that three times to believe my eyes. It is poisonous.

Deschutes Fresh-Squeezed IPA, so so so good! This is one of my all-time favorite IPAs. I'm a sucker for robust juicy citra hop flavor, and this beer is all about pushing that flavor to its maximum. Tastes a little like SN Torpedo but sweeter, smoother, and even more packed with hops. In case you have not noticed, I LOVE this beer. My highest recommendation for a west-coast ale.

You're making me cry down here. I'd go back home just for the beer.

i will try to get a hold of some and bring it to england.

HOW? Please tell me your secrets.

Ser Scott, I am speechless. You have so many other beers at your disposal and you choose to hurt me like this? Not to mention your poor, poor guts.

Mojitos for me today. It's hot and my housemate has houseguests. They all talk too much.

Mr. X,

Silly question. The IPA you graciously allowed me to try waaaaay back in Chicago, was that and "East Coast Style" IPA?

No idea - I can't remember that far back. Only pale ale I remember bringing to a WorldCon was a juniper pale ale.

Abita is almost all terrible. My chef pal is from Louisiana and drinks it out of solidarity.

I am so happy to be from Oregon where my home beers are mostly amazing.

A Manhattan sounds lovely. Hell anything to knock the shit off my day would be nice.

I almost think they crave the admonishment and shame. I get nothing from yelling at them beyond more grey hairs and trembling in my hands. Yet still they push.

Archived