July 2014 reads

mashiara

Red Country was great! It was a very satisfying read and the plot, characters and world felt very compelling. Can't wait for the next First Law book to be released!

Now I don't know if I should read Half a King or if I should try my hand with Daniel Abraham with The Dagger and the Coin

My last four reads have been:

The Severed Streets by Paul Cornell book two in what I guess is being called The James Quill Series. For the most part it was a very fun book, and it did expand wonderfully on the first book. I had the same problem with this one that I had with London Falling though, the last 10%, or so, of it is him explaining in excruciating detail how everything went down (and just how clever Cornell thinks he is). Yeah, Paul, I got it, I read the first 90%. I'm not sure if I'll keep reading this series; Aaronovitch is doing the sorcery in London thing so much better.

The Churn by James SA Corey: This was a nice little backstory to one of the crew of the Rocinante. Fun, but short.

Cibola Burn by James SA Corey book four in The Expanse. I really enjoyed this one. I can understand the complaints that the new characters aren't as interesting as some in the past book (really, though, who's going to beat Bobbie and Avasalara?), but I thought the western style was great and loved how things are set up for the next book. The horribly wrong biology of the eye was highly annoying though. I do also concur that this was probably my least favorite book in the series. But that's not a bad thing by any means.

Three Parts Dead by Max Gladstone: A god has died and Tara Abernathy and Elayne Kesarian are called in to correct the problem. The mystery was great and I really enjoyed the characters and the magic system. Overall it reminded me a lot of The Spirit Thief by Rachel Aaron (I really need to read more in that series).

Up next is The Volunteer by Peadar. Really looking forward to it. After that I'm thinking either Shogun or Mythago Wood.

Red Country was great! It was a very satisfying read and the plot, characters and world felt very compelling. Can't wait for the next First Law book to be released!

Now I don't know if I should read Half a King or if I should try my hand with Daniel Abraham with The Dagger and the Coin

Tough one. I really love The Dagger & the Coin, plus there's a new one coming out next month, so that might be a good call.

Almost finished The Demon King by Cinda Williams Chima. I've thoroughly enjoyed it, and I'm keen to move on to the others in the trilogy. But I need to read Ben Fergusson's debut next.

I finished Hyperion for the first time last night and was quite blown away. One of the most impressive things I've read in some time.

I've got that one lined up to read soon, likely next after I finish Tower Lord (which I may complete tonight) and Half a King.

I feel like I've seen quite mixed opinion on this but certainly a lot of what you stated.

I'm way too curious not to at least try the next one (and am happy to report that I did indeed snag a copy at Barnes and Nobles today).

But I know that the format of the first was sort of a special treat. So impressive. A great example of a "show off" book where you just have to tip your cap to the writer.

ETA: So is the iPhone Siri the Hyperion Siri?????

Definitely finish the second book. I've never read the Endymion books because I just feel fully satisfied with what Simmons achieved with the Hyperion arc.

Ceteganda had some great aspects. I didn't love it, but liked it more than meh.

I liked Cetaganda as well, it's probably one of the best of the mystery stories in the series. The Cetagandans are probably the most interesting of the civilisations in that Universe and it was interesting to see them as the main focus of the story.

Agreed on the Cetagandans. I missed actually having any of them *in* the story in Borders of Infinity, only as unseen guards. It makes me wonder if Miles' Cetagandan medal and what not will ever come into play again, or if from here on Cetaganda will be reduced to "the enemy". Shame if that is the case since I really liked how it was not really the real leaders who pushed the war effort as such, but the mid-levels jockeying for position who did. Made it more...complex.

Memory will go down as my favorite Vorkosigian novel so far. Funny, poignant and suspenseful and I thought it was impossible to develop the character of Miles even more. This one blew me away.

Kewl, looking forward to reading it.

The SO got me Leviathan Wakes, Abaddon's Gate and Caliban's War by James S.A Corey tho so I might have to put more Vorkosigan reading on hold for now, I think. Guess this means Luke will overtake me in the Vorkosigan reading. :p

I've been listening to Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay. I read this book a few years back and loved it and thought it was time to re-read when I saw there was an audio version. The narrator is awesome and makes the book even more enjoyable.

Agreed on the Cetagandans. I missed actually having any of them *in* the story in Borders of Infinity, only as unseen guards. It makes me wonder if Miles' Cetagandan medal and what not will ever come into play again, or if from here on Cetaganda will be reduced to "the enemy". Shame if that is the case since I really liked how it was not really the real leaders who pushed the war effort as such, but the mid-levels jockeying for position who did. Made it more...complex.

They're rarely the main focus of the later books but we do get to see some Cetagandan characters, there's a particularly memorable one in a small but significant role in Captain Vorpatril's Alliance, for example.

I'm reading Rocket to Limbo, a 1957 novel by Alan E. Nourse that is one of the books of the month in a Classic SF yahoo group I recently joined. I'm enjoying it so far. It reminds me a bit of the Heinlein juveniles, although with less emphasis on coming of age elements.

Finished The Persian Boy. Quite a good read. I didn't like it as much as Fire from Heaven, Mainly because as much as I liked Bagoas as the pov of the novel, I felt the Alexander/Hephaistion relationship suffered. Minor quibble though both books were very good. On to Funeral Games

Archived