July 2014 reads

mashiara

Enjoy your holiday! That's a hell of a lot of books though :o

I am also going on holiday soon, and I will be taking some Wheel of Time books (7 + 8 now), and I'll also be taking The Canterbury Tales, Slaughterhouse-5 and Dune. I'll have my Kindle at the ready with my ASOIAF re-read if I get through all those.

Thanks! :) I probably won't be able to read them all - I'd have to read an average of 350 pages each day - but I want to read as much as I can nonetheless.

You enjoy your holiday as well!

Starting part II Fellowship of Red Country at the moment and I must say I love this book so much!

I'm even enjoying it a little bit better than The Heroes. Its crazy how good Joe Abercrombie gets with each book, I don't know how I'm going to handle the wait for the next trilogy though. I feel like this standalones are setting up for something big on the next trilogy

Starting part II Fellowship of Red Country at the moment and I must say I love this book so much!

I'm even enjoying it a little bit better than The Heroes. Its crazy how good Joe Abercrombie gets with each book, I don't know how I'm going to handle the wait for the next trilogy though. I feel like this standalones are setting up for something big on the next trilogy

His books are just fun to read. I bullshit about them at work with a buddy all the time, it's good times.

I finally actually started reading The Adamantine Palace. So far am unimpressed. Lots of shitty, power-obsessed people doing shitty things to try to increase their power. I hope their dragons turn on them at this point. (I'm 12 chapters in.) Sigh. Hope it gets better!

:agree:

Skipping Ethan is fine, but BoI is very important imo, and Labyrinth would be good to know also as an important character is introduced. Labyrinth and the novels Borders of Infinity are both part of the book also titled Borders of Infinity. The BoI novella is one of my favorite Miles stories (EoA is my least favorite in this universe - good ideas, but Ethan is just so boring, Eli Quinn was awesome though). Skipping straight to Mirror Dance would have been very unfortunate - it and BiA should have been a single book, imo.

My own run through this is on hold as I actually have to wait my turn for the audiobook! Geez, library is cramping my style. Reading order on these are as confusing as Pratchett. I just finished Ceteganda, the BoI omnibus is an acceptable next place if I want to skip Ethan, right?

My own run through this is on hold as I actually have to wait my turn for the audiobook! Geez, library is cramping my style. Reading order on these are as confusing as Pratchett. I just finished Ceteganda, the BoI omnibus is an acceptable next place if I want to skip Ethan, right?

Definitely. I read them all in the internal chronological order:

Falling Free

Shards of Honor

Barrayar

The Warrior's Apprentice

"The Mountains of Mourning"

"Weatherman"

The Vor Game

Cetaganda

Ethan of Athos

Borders of Infinity

"Labyrinth"

"The Borders of Infinity"

Brothers in Arms

Mirror Dance

Memory

Komarr

A Civil Campaign

"Winterfair Gifts"

Diplomatic Immunity

Captain Vorpatril's Alliance

CryoBurn

and actually skipped the Borders of Infinity book, and read each of the three novellas individually that make up that book skipping the framing story that links the three together - because that book wasn't included on the free ebook collection included with Cryoburn but all of the novellas were. Falling Free, Ethan of Athos, and Captain Vorpatril's Alliance can all be read after the Miles books without missing much. Everything else should be read in order.

I'm a bit more than half way through Borders of Infinity now and I don't really feel I missed anything by skipping Ethan of Athos.

I've seen people be quite meh about Cetaganda but I thought it was great. Quite...unusual, the way society was structured. Although you can sort of feel its age with the heavy emphasis on gender binaries which continues in Borders with Thorne constantly being referred to as "it".

I'm a bit more than half way through Borders of Infinity now and I don't really feel I missed anything by skipping Ethan of Athos.

I've seen people be quite meh about Cetaganda but I thought it was great. Quite...unusual, the way society was structured. Although you can sort of feel its age with the heavy emphasis on gender binaries which continues in Borders with Thorne constantly being referred to as "it".

Ceteganda had some great aspects. I didn't love it, but liked it more than meh.

Anyway, just finished The Mirror Empire by Hurley. Book made my head hurt in a good way.

Grabbed Ruin and Rising by Bardugo from my library. I was gaga over the first book. The second didn't wow me as much but I enjoyed it enough to finish the series. So here is hoping it ends with a bang.

I hit a bit of a brick wall whilst reading the First Law trilogy. I dont know if its the books themselves or that I need a break from reading. Anyway, taking a bit of a break and will hopefully manage to finish it when I go back.

I liked Cetaganda as well, it's probably one of the best of the mystery stories in the series. The Cetagandans are probably the most interesting of the civilisations in that Universe and it was interesting to see them as the main focus of the story.

After finishing the Farseer trilogy, by Robin Hobb, I have just read Have Spacesuit - Will Travel, by R. A. Heinlein, as part of my project of reading all his juvenile novels. Only Spaceship Troopers and Podkayne of Mars remaining.

Have Spacesuit - Will Travel is an excellent YA novel, my favorite of the 12 Heinlein juveniles I have read so far.

These are my impressions on those juveniles in more detail, in case someone is interested:

http://www.sffworld.com/forums/showthread.php?42874-Rereading-Heinlein-s-juveniles

Finished "Prince of Thorns". Very well written, good pacing, but not really my cup of tea in the end: insufferably cocky first person juvenile super badass protagonist (what happened to the underdog?).

Disgusting things and violence galore. Often reads like a better paced and more streamlined (prose and style are also more straightforward) Abercrombie, but it is IMO even worse with respect to the influence by modern action thrillers.

I am also not convinced by the not quite coherent mix of traditional fantasy with magic and undead and the setting in a post-apocalyptic future. I am also not sure you can make a nuclear warhead explode by letting it roll down a hill...)

Now I will continue with "The thousandfold thought"

Finished Ace, King, Knave by Maria McCann. A decent historical fiction, though the old English words didn't always make sense, so I had to flick back to the glossary. I usually don't mind that, but it annoyed me with this book, probably because it took me out of the story. Very interesting though - the West Country shall forever be referred to as "Zedland".

I'm running out of books, would you believe it. I may read Animal Farm or The Demon King by Cinda Williams China, before starting The Spring of Kasper Meier by Ben Fergusson, a debut novel I'm reviewing.

Archived