July 2014 reads

mashiara

I'm off later this week. I'm taking with me as books, a collection of stories by William Faulkner for a re-read, as well as another re-read, Making Haste From Babylon: The Mayflower Pilgrims and Their World -- A New History (2010) by Nick Bunker. On the laptop I have a download of The Outlaw Years: The Land Pirates of the Natchez Trace, by Robert Coates (art critic for years at the New Yorker!), an out-of-print account (1930) of evil-doing and other shenanigans from New Orleans to a bandit cave in Illinois, from the eastern bank of the Mississippi and through the Ohio River System drainage basin. Talk about adventure! These are the people who made Andrew Jackson and William Faulkner's ancestors. The Pilgrims' adventures were rather otherwise, but they're equally interesting.

Finished reading The Handmaid's tale yesterday, I adore the book, really glad I decided to pick it up. I'm going to have to pick up something else that Atwood has written though I'm not sure which book that's going to be.

I might start with Night next, though I'm considering The Girl With All The Gifts. Most of the people I've talked to seemed fairly mixed on the book, but earlier I didn't know it was a zombie book, and since I'm a sucker for those, I might as well give it a go.

I highly recommend Atwood's The Robber Bride -- my favorite Atwood.

I finished The Night Circus last night. SO good. First book I've given 5 stars in a while. Sure, there were a couple weak areas, but overall the book was just so damn...magical! I just know I would be a Rêveur. Sigh.

Not sure what to read next. Honestly the book I want to read is the book that I'm writing! Gr, self, write faster! Probably trawl the 'zon later to find something.

(Somehow I have so many books that I think "Oh, I want to read that" but then when it comes time to read a new book, I never have anything lined up.)

If anyone of you know of any good mafia/high stakes crime books I'd glady take the recommendations. Books in the vein of movies like Departed, Donnie Brasco, The Godfather, Goodfellas etc.

Edit: i mean fiction books similar to those movies, since im well aware of the biographies and books those mpvies are based on.

If anyone of you know of any good mafia/high stakes crime books I'd glady take the recommendations. Books in the vein of movies like Departed, Donnie Brasco, The Godfather, Goodfellas etc.

Edit: i mean fiction books similar to those movies, since im well aware of the biographies and books those mpvies are based on.

I've got a rec, though it's not about the Mafia. But it is very, very good.

The Power of the Dog, by Don Winslow.

The blurb:

An explosive novel of the drug trade, The Power of the Dog, takes you deep inside a world riddled with corruption, betrayal, and bloody revenge.
Art Montana is an obsessive DEA agent. The Barrera brothers are heirs to a drug empire. Nora Hayden is a jaded teenager who becomes a high-class hooker. Father Parada is a powerful and uncorruptable Catholic priest. Callan is an Irish kid from Hell's kitchen who grows up to be a merciless hitman. And they are all trapped in the world of the Mexican drug Federacion. From the streets of New York City to Mexico City and Tiajuana to the jungles of Central America, this is the war on drugs like you've never seen it.

The last book in the Shadows of the Apt series, The Seal of the Worm was really good. It felt a bit rushed as the author was trying to close all of the numerous plot threads. GRRM would be proud of the major and minor character deaths. A highly recommended series.
Started Oathbreaker's Shadow by Amy McCulloch. I'm always on the lookout for Canadian fantasy authors and I have heard good reviews about this one.

Was browsing the Kindle daily deals and saw that books 2 and 3 of Extinction Point were on sale. I read the first one last year or the year before, and I remember liking it pretty well. So I'll be reading those, starting with Exodus. (I believe he self-pubbed the first one and then got picked up by Amazon's 47North.)

You could try The Henry Thompson Trilogy by Charlie Huston, Beat the Reaper by Josh Bazell, and Long Reach by Peter Cocks.

I've got a rec, though it's not about the Mafia. But it is very, very good.

The Power of the Dog, by Don Winslow.

The blurb:

An explosive novel of the drug trade, The Power of the Dog, takes you deep inside a world riddled with corruption, betrayal, and bloody revenge.

Art Montana is an obsessive DEA agent. The Barrera brothers are heirs to a drug empire. Nora Hayden is a jaded teenager who becomes a high-class hooker. Father Parada is a powerful and uncorruptable Catholic priest. Callan is an Irish kid from Hell's kitchen who grows up to be a merciless hitman. And they are all trapped in the world of the Mexican drug Federacion. From the streets of New York City to Mexico City and Tiajuana to the jungles of Central America, this is the war on drugs like you've never seen it.

That sounds kinda ecactly like what i was looking for. Will check it out and thanks

At the moment I'm reading through two books: 'Beyond The Wall: Exploring George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire' which is a compilation of essays edited by James Lowder; I am also reading Joe Abercrombie's 'Before They Are Hanged', which is proving to be an excellent second instalment in his 'First Law' trilogy.

Not exactly the same, but I think you would like Lehane's The Given Day and Live by Night.

I finished Unclean Spirits: Book One of the Black Suns's Daughter series by M.L.N. Hanover (aka Daniel Abraham) last night and I really enjoyed it. Parts in the middle were slow, but the ending left me wanting more so I'll be moving on to the second book Darker Angels.

I read Half a King by Joe Abercrombie, and I really enjoyed it, although as I think another poster pointed out earlier, the prose didn't quite sound like the Abercrombie we're used to.

The sentences tended to be shorter, or something. And there was no sex. And very few expletives. But plenty of violence!

All in all, it was a good book, and I really liked the way things came together in the end, with more than a touch of his signature darkness to top it off and get me looking forward to the next one.

It's not mafia as it's set in India, but Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts has a lot in common with those sorts of stories.

I read Half a King by Joe Abercrombie, and I really enjoyed it, although as I think another poster pointed out earlier, the prose didn't quite sound like the Abercrombie we're used to.

The sentences tended to be shorter, or something. And there was no sex. And very few expletives. But plenty of violence!

All in all, it was a good book, and I really liked the way things came together in the end, with more than a touch of his signature darkness to top it off and get me looking forward to the next one.

Well yes, you don't tend to fill books marketed as YA with sex and people saying fuck.

Archived