Board Issues 4

Angalin

3 minutes ago, Ran said:

Ugh. Using the ipad myself and not getting this issue. Sucks that I can’t replicate it, it would make it a lot easier to fix.

Will keep trying to figure it out,

It’s weird. The funny thing on iPad is that it seems to work fine on chrome (which wasn’t working at all on android phone), but not at all on safari. And on phone, clearing browsing data helped, I managed to get on the main forum page, but I’d get the 431 whenever clicking on anything, any thread, profile, etc. But on Safari/iPad I can’t even get to the main page but working perfectly normal on chrome. :dunno:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm feeling very thick but I can't for the life of me figure out how to change the background image, mine reset after a cookie sweep. I swear I've clicked through every place it could be and yet here I am.

Edit: Found it! It's the button that looks like it might set your status offline or sign you out or something. 

Edited by Poobah

15 hours ago, Poobah said:

I'm feeling very thick but I can't for the life of me figure out how to change the background image, mine reset after a cookie sweep. I swear I've clicked through every place it could be and yet here I am.

Edit: Found it! It's the button that looks like it might set your status offline or sign you out or something. 

Was just about to say, as I was away and didn't want to only give phone instructions when I didn't recall how it looked on the desktop.

Glad you sorted it!

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to let you know this 431 issue is popping up again for me increasingly when I hit on certain pages of threads.  It's only on my laptop - MacBook Pro - but not on my Ipad.  I'm always on Chrome.  I've hit the clear cached images and files option to try and fix it, but I'm not clearing my browser history nor my cookies for other sites.  That just'll cause more annoyance than it's worth.  If those are why, fair enough, but thought I'd publicize it in case anyone is encountering the same problems.

• 3 weeks later...

We have done some configuration changes that will hopefully fix this problem. If it happens still right now, make sure to clear all cookies for the forum. And if it persists after that, please let me know.

Edited by Ran

Me too. It was happening a lot on all devices and different browsers, then it stopped completely, and now it’s back with a vengeance. I’m also getting another error msg that says, “

400 Bad Request

Request Header Or Cookie Too Large

nginx/1.10.2

Have you cleared cookies? Make sure to restart the browser as well. The initial 400 error you guys saw for a bit there was when we tried a change that actually made things much worse (I got it as well), but now we fixed it, I think, to increase the limits well beyond what they were originally.

Edited by Ran

@Ran just as an update, the 431 thing is gone when on ipad or PC - safari and Chrome. But persisted on phone (android) even after clearing everything, restarting Chrome etc. After feeling pretty frustrated I decided to try going incognito and it hasn't happened since. :dunno:

31 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

@Ran just as an update, the 431 thing is gone when on ipad or PC - safari and Chrome. But persisted on phone (android) even after clearing everything, restarting Chrome etc. After feeling pretty frustrated I decided to try going incognito and it hasn't happened since. :dunno:

Incognito but not logged in? That makes sense, fewer cookies loaded. 

What device do you use? I'm on a Pixel 6 and personally have never had this particular issue.

2 minutes ago, Ran said:

Incognito but not logged in? That makes sense, fewer cookies loaded. 

What device do you use? I'm on a Pixel 6 and personally have never had this particular issue.

No, incognito and logged in, Samsung galaxy though I’m not sure which one… 

Just now, kissdbyfire said:

No, incognito and logged in, Samsung galaxy though I’m not sure which one… 

Huh. I will look into it.

Regarding VPN, it's very possible the VPN is at fault, limiting header sizes that it will accept to pass on, I'm afraid. I will poke around at that as well. If you don't mind, could you message me the VPN service you use so I can use that in helping me to search about the issue?

Test post. 

ETA: Sweet. It seems to be a Chrome thing as mentioned above. That's still not working. I can go to the main page for Westeros.org, but every time I click the forum link it's 431. Once in a great while I could get in, but when I posted back to 431. Sucks the first time I got it I wrote a rather long response to something.

Oh well. New browser new you. I couldn't login at first, but that's because my dumbass forgot I changed my name, lol. 

Edited by Mr. Chatywin et al.

1 hour ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

t seems to be a Chrome thing as mentioned above.

So to be clear, Chrome on an Android device?

Before giving up on Chrome, besides deleting all cookies, clear all cache as well. There may be things hanging around that are exacerbating the problem. This may be why it worked in Incognito mode.

Edited by Ran

41 minutes ago, Ran said:

So to be clear, Chrome on an Android device?

Before giving up on Chrome, besides deleting all cookies, clear all cache as well. There may be things hanging around that are exacerbating the problem. This may be why it worked in Incognito mode.

Chrome on a Lenovo Legion gaming laptop, a fairly new one (maybe 12-18 months?) that I think cost around $1,400 at the time before taxes and fees, so not some piece of junk. 

I've never tried signing in with my phone, but I could read the forum fine with it using Chrome. I plan on getting a Galaxy S23 soon (current one is a Galaxy S10e), maybe in the next few days. I can try it from there through Chrome and let you know what happens. 

And I did repeatedly clear my cookies and cache. That's how I could at least read the forum once in a while, but after a few clicks it was back to 431, the new blue screen of death. I looked around the interwebs to try and find other workarounds, but the one most suggested maybe me worry I might end up wiping my entire comp since I don't have the back up gear probably needed. 

So like I joked with Chats, I took a little vacation. This browser is working fine. 

Edited by Mr. Chatywin et al.