Board Issues 4

Angalin

4 hours ago, felice said:

It used to be more widespread - I know of other forums that had the same policy in the past. On some forums the moderator who closed a thread for length would create the next installment at the same time.

But this was back when forums were coded on potatoes and running on server hardware that would be put to shame by a modern wristwatch, wasn't it? I could see it being a somewhat sensible choice when long threads caused lag for users, but now that's no longer a problem. I've seen forum threads longer than 10,000 pages filled to the brim with pictures, running like clockwork.

Back in the days, such policies were required to prevent lags caused by limitations in computing power, to benefit the user experience.

Currently, this forum is running on near limitless computing power, but policies are causing conversations to lag and hamper the user experience.

We've somehow gone full circle but ended up in a reverse direction along the way.

1 hour ago, Kyll.Ing. said:

But this was back when forums were coded on potatoes and running on server hardware that would be put to shame by a modern wristwatch, wasn't it?

No, just a few years ago.

Mark site read is not appearing on the top of the PC browser interface King @Ran as it used to do earlier...screen scroll lag too more pronounced (double checked if my data connection was fine and have a great RAM btw)

Thanks in advance for fixing, ciao

Just now, TheLastWolf said:

Mark site read is not appearing on the top of the PC browser interface King @Ran as it used to do earlier...screen scroll lag too more pronounced (double checked if my data connection was fine and have a great RAM btw)

Yeah, I don't like that marked site read is now at the bottom. I guess their assumption is that once you've scrolled down through everything, that's where it should be. But I wouldn't mind the option at the top as well. I'll see if there's any way to fix that.

Screen scrolling is, I fear, nothing we can tweak. The CSS of the forum software has just become a bit more heavy.

Just now, Ran said:

Yeah, I don't like that marked site read is now at the bottom. I guess their assumption is that once you've scrolled down through everything, that's where it should be. But I wouldn't mind the option at the top as well. I'll see if there's any way to fix that.

Cool!

Just now, Ran said:

Screen scrolling is, I fear, nothing we can tweak. The CSS of the forum software has just become a bit more heavy.

Will it get worse as content count increases?

29 minutes ago, TheLastWolf said:

Will it get worse as content count increases?

It's not a database issue, just a matter of the length of a page, I guess. So a page with 20 posts on it may be marginally slower than one with three posts. This is not the same thing as the number of pages in a thread -- two pages or twenty, should make no difference.

23 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Try disabling blurred background. That made a big difference to scrolling lag for me.

On 11/12/2021 at 2:23 AM, felice said:

No, just a few years ago.

Aha. Nice to hear that sense prevailed in the end, at least. Did they provide any justifications or reasons why they stopped that policy, which may be of help swaying the admins in here too?

15 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Try disabling blurred background. That made a big difference to scrolling lag for me.

Thanks but I did that to little difference

EDIT It's working like clockwork now! Thanks a lot

Edited by TheLastWolf
obv