Football LXXX: Transfers, preseason & ongoing seasons

Mexal

Loads of rumors flying around about Calum Chambers completing a medical for Arsenal today. Not sure there is any truth to it, but I'd really like it to be true. He has loads of potential and I think he'd come to Arsenal as a CB.

Apparently Chambers can play in all sorts of positions which makes him great cover, but has he ever done it at first-team level? I've only ever seen him at right-back, he's excellent there. Rather better than Jenkinson.
It'll be a good signing, anyway, because with Debuchy being basically 29, he's not going to be at his best for too long - Chambers can bed in while Debuchy's still good, then take over.

Lallana out 6 weeks. Knee injury in training :(

Not a good start.

Apparently Chambers can play in all sorts of positions which makes him great cover, but has he ever done it at first-team level? I've only ever seen him at right-back, he's excellent there. Rather better than Jenkinson.

It'll be a good signing, anyway, because with Debuchy being basically 29, he's not going to be at his best for too long - Chambers can bed in while Debuchy's still good, then take over.

I agree he's better than Jenkinson but Hector Bellerin is the future at RB for Arsenal. That's why I think Chambers is going to be converted to CB (if he signs) and provide cover for RB like Vermaelen did for LB last year when Monreal/Gibbs were both hurt. Though they could send Jenkinson out on loan and use Chambers to cover RB/CB. I don't know. Provides options.

ETA: It's being reported everywhere now from the Telegraph to Sky Sports to BBC. Looks like it's going to happen for around 15m.

Also, Wenger confirmed that Ospina is joining and that while Szczesny is #1, he'll be direct competition.

Yeah, it's a pity really, they're getting taken apart at the moment. Personally wish we hadn't joined in on it but that's hardly a realistic way to think about it. Seeing figures ranging from 7 million to 20 million on this one, which is strange.

So mourinho has come out & pointed out that he feels Man.U payed too much for shaw & that his wages are ridiculous for someone his age.

I agree with mou here, 200 000 for a guy who has basically had one solid season of top flight football seems ridiculous, the fact that he's only 19 doesn't help.

Yeah, it's a pity really, they're getting taken apart at the moment. Personally wish we hadn't joined in on it but that's hardly a realistic way to think about it. Seeing figures ranging from 7 million to 20 million on this one, which is strange.

Yeah its a shame to see. Calum Chambers supposedly off to Arsenal as well. It'll never change now that the cartel at the top of the game have new rules entrenching the systematic advantages over smaller teams like Southampton.

The sad reality is that Southampton will never in the future do better than qualifying for the Europa League, no matter how much young talent they produce.

Yeah its a shame to see. Calum Chambers supposedly off to Arsenal as well. It'll never change now that the cartel at the top of the game have new rules entrenching the systematic advantages over smaller teams like Southampton.

The sad reality is that Southampton will never in the future do better than qualifying for the Europa League, no matter how much young talent they produce.

The same thing has happened to other clubs, although not quite on this scale. The trick is to keep re-investing the money on more young talents and building the club up slowly, not expecting a quick fix or to be able to build a team without losing anyone.

The real worry for Southampton fans is that the owners are just asset stripping and are going to replace the lost players as cheaply as possible.

Per this article, I think I've found Jose's real problem:

who Mourinho said was a more sensible option considering UEFA's financial fair play regulations. "It would've killed immediately our balance and we couldn't allow that.

Like was talked about before, our revenue streams are much higher than Chelsea's so we can spend much more on wages than Chelsea before UEFA get snippy. This article, although from the 2012-13 season, makes the point: we have/had marginally higher wages than Chelsea, and the second highest in the league, but the best wage/turnover proportion (in fact we were at that point the only team in the league hitting the ideal of 50%).

I bet Jose doesn't like that.

Premier League Years 2013/14 is on at the moment if anyone's interested. Its getting near the end and Liverpool have just won the league!

ETA: Oh no, wait, apparently they fell at the final fence according to this documentary

I'm thrilled we joined in. They have tons of talent and if their management wants to sell, I'd rather we reap the benefits instead of Liverpool. I don't know why Soton is selling all of their players but I'm thrilled that Chambers is going to be an Arsenal player. He's homegrown, English, U-21, versatile and has a lot of talent. Still leaves a slot open on our current squad for a non homegrown player without selling anyone which should be a CM of some nature. Ornstein is saying we're trying to buy Schneiderlin too and at this point, not sure why he'd want to stick around when he can get first team football in a top 4 squad vs fighting to avoid relegation.

As I said, thinking like that is probably not practical in the football world. I just don't like seeing Soton dismantled like that player by player, I like that team, and not only are they losing players, but they've also lost a manger to Spurs. I don't like teams doing that to us either, City and Barcelona have both done that to us, though it's been to a lesser extent. It's all part of the game not though, and every team does it to lesser teams if you go down the divisions. On another note, I'm surprised no one has gone for Jack Cork though, I think he's excellent.

A bigger concern is that we don't seem to be producing any CB's from our academy, it's being overhauled this season with Joniker stepping in so hopefully that changes in the next 5 years or so.

It is a pity to see Soton dismantled but it's not as if they were forced to. They were under no economic pressure to do so. Their chairman left first, then they sold Shaw for a very good price, but then they lost their manager and the sales picked up pace with Lambert, Lallana and soon Lovren, and perhaps Schneiderlin soon too. It looks like the chairman and manager leaving has caused the whole thing to unravel, so I'd have to say this all their own doing and may even be asset stripping.

And Lovren and Scneiderlin are being sold after relatively short tenures. That looks like flipping players to profit on scouting and taking risks that larger clubs could not.

Archived