Football LXXX: Transfers, preseason & ongoing seasons

Mexal

According to the ever-reliable Daily Mail, Wenger might ask for Chris Smalling as part of any deal to take Vermaelen to Man Utd. Can't see it myself - surely Wenger would want an upgrade on Vermaelen, which Smalling certainly is not.

And likewise as a UTD fan, that is not a deal that would please me. I don't mind taking on Vermaelen to increase depth at center ( and hope that he actually stays fit, but not to then give up Smalling in return. And I think van Gaal will hold on to the young guys especially, if they show promise, that is his thing.

Yea, I think the odds of this happening are close to nil. I saw the report Arsenal would ask for Smalling or Jones but I think it's highly unlikely.

That being said, Vermaelen would be a great addition to United. He played very well last year when Koscienly got hurt and I think he'd really organize that back line for them. He wasn't Arsenal's captain for nothing.

This has nothing to do with the Brazilian public- all the polls indicate 70-80% opposition to his appointment.

There's really a number of reasons for that appointment, but without writing a 50,000 words post explaining how Brazilian football is run, here's four:

Wow, thanks for all that. I'm generally skeptical about things like number 3, but it could be that they do see a controversial manager as a net positive if it deflects attention off their backs. You have to think that in the short term it makes things worse for them, but maybe it can't get any worse right now? I don't know much about Brazilian managers other than people like Dunga and Scolari, but I had to think there was someone young and progressive that they could have taken a chance on. It's not that unusual for national teams to do things like that; you could say that Germany took a chance with Klinsi and Wales with Mark Hughes (ok Wales is way smaller, but still, Mark Hughes worked out right).

That's too bad about Romario being quieter. From what Tim Vickery has said on the world football phone it, it's sounded like he's been a positive influence generally.

Anyway, I heard that Benny Olson's wife gave birth to a daughter almost exactly 9 months after the open cup win. Tee hehe.

Several journalists and newspapers are reporting that Liverpool are about to sign Manquillo on loan for a season from Atletico. Anyone seen him play?

He's pretty good. For weeks Arsenal were on the "verge" of signing him too. Young as well.

Impressive start to the pre-season for United. Our next game is against Roma who should provide stiffer opposition. Unfortunately the game kicked off at 5am over here so I was unable to watch. Hopefully there is a repeat broadcast.

Frank Lampard to NYCFC is now officially. Welcome tot he City group, Frank. I look forward to your ten minute hat tricks against DC United home and away.

Frank Lampard to NYCFC is now officially. Welcome tot he City group, Frank. I look forward to your ten minute hat tricks against DC United home and away.

The Club made the official announcement right across the river from my office. I can't wait for seat selection, it is in three weeks. My number should be pretty low so I'm confident I'll get the seats want.

Just finished watching the repeat broadcast of the United/LA Galaxy game. For me the standout performer was Herrera. He really pulled the strings in the midfield. If he can repeat this performance against sterner opposition then he will turn out to be a big player for us.

The Club made the official announcement right across the river from my office. I can't wait for seat selection, it is in three weeks. My number should be pretty low so I'm confident I'll get the seats want.

Seen this? Beautiful.

R.E. Seat Selection - Half way line, lower tier, every time (if possible)!

Seen this? Beautiful.

R.E. Seat Selection - Half way line, lower tier, every time (if possible)!

That's the plan when they get a proper stadium. But until then it's either 234, 135 or 136, or 213 or 113. The sightlines from there are as good as you'll get in a baseball stadium.

http://nycfc.io-media.com/

Archived