Football LXXX: Transfers, preseason & ongoing seasons

Mexal

It is a pity to see Soton dismantled but it's not as if they were forced to. They were under no economic pressure to do so. Their chairman left first, then they sold Shaw for a very good price, but then they lost their manager and the sales picked up pace with Lambert, Lallana and soon Lovren, and perhaps Schneiderlin soon too. It looks like the chairman and manager leaving has caused the whole thing to unravel, so I'd have to say this all their own doing and may even be asset stripping.

And Lovren and Scneiderlin are being sold after relatively short tenures. That looks like flipping players to profit on scouting and taking risks that larger clubs could not.

Uh, Schneiderlin has been with Soton since 2008 (he was 18). That's not a short tenure.

A bigger concern is that we don't seem to be producing any CB's from our academy, it's being overhauled this season with Joniker stepping in so hopefully that changes in the next 5 years or so.

No one ready for first team football but I think Isaac Hayden and Julio Pleguezeulo have a lot of potential.

It is a pity to see Soton dismantled but it's not as if they were forced to. They were under no economic pressure to do so. Their chairman left first, then they sold Shaw for a very good price, but then they lost their manager and the sales picked up pace with Lambert, Lallana and soon Lovren, and perhaps Schneiderlin soon too. It looks like the chairman and manager leaving has caused the whole thing to unravel, so I'd have to say this all their own doing and may even be asset stripping.

And Lovren and Scneiderlin are being sold after relatively short tenures. That looks like flipping players to profit on scouting and taking risks that larger clubs could not.

Yeah it does seem strange. There was some talk at the start of the Summer that they needed some money but after selling Shaw, and maybe Lallana, that can't be an issue anymore. On top of that you can see why they let Lambert leave but at this point I can't see why they aren't just putting their foot down and saying they just aren't going to sell with the likes of Lovren etc.

Miquel did fairly well at that position for us a few years ago, the year we got Leyton Orient in the cup, but it would seem it hasn't really kicked on. There are so many players I thought would do okay for us but they haven't even come close to the first team.

I've got high hopes for Kris Olssen next, he looks promising.

Miquel did fairly well at that position for us a few years ago, the year we got Leyton Orient in the cup, but it would seem it hasn't really kicked on. There are so many players I thought would do okay for us but they haven't even come close to the first team.

I've got high hopes for Kris Olssen next, he looks promising.

Agreed about Olsson. He looks really good though I'm not exactly sure where he'll play. Could be a replacement for Cazorla in a few years.

I do like the injection of young talent we do have. We've been raiding La Maisa the last few years with Bellerin, Miguel, Pleguezeulo and recently Spanoudakis. Add in Dan Crowley, Chris Willock and Ben Sheaf, some very talented English players, and I think the future is bright for our youths. Not to mention the youths that have broken through for the senior team like Zelalem, Gnabry and Hayden. What I don't see at all in the Academy are any strikers.

It's such a big gap though, from the reserves to the first team. I wouldn't include Zalalem in the same league as Gnabry as the latter has had quite an impact early last season, mostly through the FA Cup. Gideon is young though, but he seems promising albeit a tad small. Have fun at the game though!

I caught some of the videos of Arsenal in New York, it seems that there was quite the turn out for the events held in the city. The one at grand central looked especially packed.

It's looking good for United in our game against Roma. Three goals in the space of 10 minutes. One from Mata and a brace from Rooney.

So mourinho has come out & pointed out that he feels Man.U payed too much for shaw & that his wages are ridiculous for someone his age.
I agree with mou here, 200 000 for a guy who has basically had one solid season of top flight football seems ridiculous, the fact that he's only 19 doesn't help.

Mourinho talks too much. According to what I've read, Shaw's salary is 100k/week. Still alot for a 19 year old but I think that Shaw is going to be a big player for us. Seems excessive now but I predict that in the long run people will be singing a different tune.

Well, they've got the highly proven Enner Valencia now.

Well, as you may not know, proven players are not always lining up to play for middling clubs. Not all mid table clubs can be Man Utd.

Big Andy out for four months! All that football he played these last few seasons has really taken a toll on the 35 million pound man.

He's our Renaissance Dean Ashton!

Well, as you may not know, proven players are not always lining up to play for middling clubs. Not all mid table clubs can be Man Utd.

Touche.

But there's a difference between 'proven enough to play for United' and 'played in Equador until six months ago, then in Mexico'. He certainly looked good in the WC, but the WC is basically the only experience he's had at anything approaching top level.

Who knows, though, he wouldn't be the first late bloomer.

Eta: Young playing right wingback in our friendly. #LostItLouis

Chattanooga FC, the NPSL team from my college town, just booked a place in the national finals next week. They won their game at home before a crowd of over 8 thousand, which is an NPSL record. I've never had the chance to go to a game, but I'm so proud of the team and the community support. I wish this had been a thing when I was in college. 8k was the record, and the team routinely draws 3k for it's home games during the summer. NPSL is the fourth tier in the incredibly confusing US Soccer league pyramid.

I wonder if it's related to his heart defect?

Or perhaps he has ankles like Andy Carroll.

It is from what I read. He has a hole in his heart it seems. Supposedly he has failed 4 musicals since 2002.

It is from what I read. He has a hole in his heart it seems. Supposedly he has failed 4 musicals since 2002.

Damn you autocorrect?

Although this version is certainly more entertaining!

Archived