Football LXXXI: As The Saints Go Marching Out

I'd rather we trade Vermaelen to Barcelona than United. I hate strengthening teams that we'll be competing with directly. I think what's taking so long is Wenger is still trying to find a replacement. I doubt we go into the season with Chambers as the 3rd CB and 2nd RB so we'll have to bring someone else in.

Liverpool look like they're closing in on Alberto Moreno for like the tenth time this summer. Hopefully this goes through for real this time cause it would be the signing that excites me most. A young extremely talented fullback would be awesome and fit our needs. He even made Spains 30 man provisional lineup for the World Cup and he's just turned 22. *crosses fingers*.

Dropping Isco from that Fraud XI and changing the formation to a 4-3-3. Got a new captain and striker - Alexis Sanchez. Outdone by Sanogo in an Emirates Cup game. Damning evidence

It seems like all of Proper Yaya's goals were all about Campbell and/or Ramsey and he just stuck them in.

Not that that's a bad thing for a striker and something he's been sorely lacking in, you know, proper games, but Arsenal fans will be pleased to see those two doing well.

It seems like all of Proper Yaya's goals were all about Campbell and/or Ramsey and he just stuck them in.

Not that that's a bad thing for a striker and something he's been sorely lacking in, you know, proper games, but Arsenal fans will be pleased to see those two doing well.

Lots to like about today's game, especially around Campbell, Ramsey, Sanogo, Chambers and Bellerin's play. Arsenal had very direct players on the pitch today and it was great to watch. Not much side to side passing like we've become accustomed to. Doesn't mean too much as Benefica lost a lot of good players this transfer window and were quite poor, but still positive.

We'll see what happens tomorrow. Looking forward to Sanchez getting a full 45 minutes.

Kagawa and Mata both absolutely love the 3-5-2. Pity we can't play them both in that role at the same time.

Young and Shaw also both very impressive, albeit Madrid's right flank played poorly.

ETA: 109,000 people turned out for that game. A pre-season friendly. Like the commentators were saying, most of those players will likely never play in front of a bigger crowd. Mental.

Who are you lot playing up front in the friendlies,

Rooney, Welbeck, Chicharito, Nani, Young and Zaha have all had a go. The first three have all been impressive and I imagine things will rotate between the four (Rooney can also play behind the two strikers, if we need, so there's a bit of leeway). Zaha's been okay, but he's not gonna play there in the season unless Hernandez leaves and there's an injury crisis.

Nani looks like he's done. He played a little bit of the first couple of games, did almost nothing and hasn't been seen since. I'm not sure if he's got an injury, but there's no real place for him if we're using 3-5-2 as the main formation.

Eta: I can see at least one of Welbeck and Chicharito getting more time than might seem likely at first glance with Rooney and RvP fit, because one thing about this formation is that it depends a great deal on the pace of the strikers themselves to stretch the game, since the wing-backs obviously have a lot further to go to get into spaces than wingers or wide forwards would do.

Do they have enough CBs to run that throughout the season?

No. At the moment we're far too reliant on Blackett and Keane, especially since Smalling is made of glass and will never be fit a whole season. Blackett's been good in pre-season but real games will be a whole different kettle of fish, whereas Keane doesn't really look ready for first team action.

At this stage I'd be okay with Verminator - his form is an issue, but a back 3 probably suits his skills better than a 2 because you can put him on the left side of it and he's got much more freedom to get forward and generally put himself about, knowing someone's there to sweep up. I wouldn't want to rely on him, but he'd be a useful addition of it happens.

Have to say, United has looked good so far. Looks like they're taking to the 3-5-2. Do they have enough CBs to run that throughout the season?

It'll be interesting to see how it goes if they try to play with wingbacks for the whole season. It's fashionable at the moment because it went well for a few teams at the World Cup but that's a pretty small sample and it's used so rarely nowadays you do have to wonder how much the surprise factor influences how successful it is. I remember Liverpool under Dalglish using it successfully against Chelsea but teams seemed to work it out pretty quickly. Either way it should be fun to watch one of the teams going for European places trying something different.

Archived