Football LXXXI: As The Saints Go Marching Out

Yeah it's typical how that happens. We've had a number of very successful Dutch national teams of the under-17, under-19, under 21 the last few years, and it's always remarkable to see who and who does not advance to become an actual star at the top level.

With some players you can see how their progress falters: those who have developed faster than their peers and rely on that physical superiority, which doesn't work for them any more when they reach the senior level, for example.

Nsereko doesn't fall into that category, he's genuinely talented, but judging by his antics away from the football pitch, he just doesn't have the focus and determination to make it as a professional.

lol

The current Fraud XI (Open to improvement suggestions). The conditions are that everyone must think they're at least decent, but they're actually frauds. For instance, Hulk is a fraud, but not fit for the Fraud XI because most people recognise that he's pony:

Mignolet

Glen Johnson - Koscielny - Clichy

Fabregas - Henderson - Wilshere - Carrick - Isco

Lukaku - Costa

Manager: Louis van Gaal

I think Diego Lopez is being treated unfairly by madrid. He gave them his all last season and completely outshone cassilas. But hey its the way of madrid, what can you do.

If you were talking about the season before last when Jose was still calling the shots then yes but last season that's a big big no . Lopez's performance was good but nothing more , he made a lot of key mistakes in important games (like the one against Atlatico) and was inconsistent towards the end . While Iker (because his last name is too hard to spell :p ) was extremely good in the cup and champions , the fame they lost against dortmond 2-0 in Germany , Madrid would've surely been out if it weren't for his masterful performance (sadly pepe likes to make mistakes )

Only thing you can blame iker for last season is atlatico's goal in the final and even that is shared largely with khedira .

I don't know a single person who thinks Glen Johnson is decent.

I'm glad to see you listing Clichy though. Too many City fans I've come across really want to insist he's a quality left-back. Curious, because most Arsenal fans never did this when he played for them.

I nominate Toni Kroos, Theo Walcott, Julian Draxler (although I'm ready to be proven very, very wrong about him) and your boy Alvaro Negredo.

A year ago I would have stuck Zaha in there, but utterly crippling his reputation was one of the few things Moyes got right.

I've just started typing this when "1 reply added" popped up on my screen and it had to be someone addressing this :)

EDIT:

Does Wellbeck qualify as a "fraud"?

If so, I nominate him.

And no way is Lukaku a fraud. Not with 2 great seasons in a row under his belt.

I'm glad to see you listing Clichy though. Too many City fans I've come across really want to insist he's a quality left-back. Curious, because most Arsenal fans never did this when he played for them.

I nominate Toni Kroos, Theo Walcott, Julian Draxler (although I'm ready to be proven very, very wrong about him) and your boy Alvaro Negredo.

A year ago I would have stuck Zaha in there, but utterly crippling his reputation was one of the few things Moyes got right.

Clichy is an oddly bloodless footballer. Kolarov prove himself a far better option last year. There are plenty of people who think Johnson is a decent player, but as I said the Fraud XI is open to improvements and can be changed.

Kroos, Walcott & Drazler - No, not for me. Negredo - Will have to see how he picks up again this season.

I've just started typing this when "1 reply added" popped up on my screen and it had to be someone addressing this :)

EDIT:

Does Wellbeck qualify as a "fraud"?

If so, I nominate him.

And no way is Lukaku a fraud. Not with 2 great seasons in a row under his belt.

Welbeck is a strange one... Not sure if he's a fraud or not.

Lukaku is destined to be found out in the Champion's League if he ever gets there. Was proper shit for most of the World Cup.

Clichy will play 5 decent games before making a calamitous mistake in the 6th one. He's always been like that. If being a fraud means we get to keep Koscielny, I'll take it

Martin Jol for the fraud manager. Will try and think of other names soon

Edit: Got to have Flamini in there instead of someone.

Double Premier League winner Richard Wright***

To be fair, he got a 10/10 for the season from me. Didn't put a foot wrong. Two excellent saves in a row against Al Ain in a post-season friendly.

It's looking increasingly likely that Vermaelen is going to leave Arsenal, especially after Arsene seemed fairly forthright in his press conference the other day by saying 'he might leave'. People say he might be going to Barcelona, but I wouldn't be surprised if he goes to United.

Now, I haven't seen Evans/ Smalling/ Jones/ All the other CBs united seem to have play in a long while, but I think they're getting a very good deal out of it. Vermaelen can be very good with the right partner beside him and will usually do well if he's given a run of games. He can distribute the ball fairly well too.

It's unfortunate, but Arsene has not been the type to hold onto a player who wants to go. And honestly, don't think Tommy V will miss doing all those captain's notes whilst he sitting on the bench.

Do fuck off.

What's going to be worse is the endlessly uninspired jokes about only trophy they will win/ celebrating it like a real trophy or my personal favorite 'they couldn't even win their own trophy'

Archived