Football LXXXI: As The Saints Go Marching Out

Yeah, I get the point of a loan. I'm just not sure Allardyce would have much patience with him. He's not the best with young players to begin with, and with a defensively suspect loaner from Arsenal probably less so.

Although, I can't really see Big Sam's plan for this season very clearly. The Davids are interfering much more lately, and I suspect Allardyce is going to have a hard time making everyone happy. If he wants to push his fullbacks up more this season, Jenkinson might be useful. I'm just not sure Big Sam's pulling all the strings these days.

I haven't seen Demel play, so I can't comment on if Jenks deserves to start in front of him or not. It's also fairly early to be saying he will never cut it with us, he's looked excellent at times ( Bayern away ) and suspect at others. Just like many other young defenders. The fact of the matter is that he's done an alright job for us when given a run of games and a poorer one when he's asked to come in for 1 or 2 games. Perhaps he would have been better off going to Hull, or somewhere he was certain to play in the first team.

Edit: Though I think it's fair to say that wherever Jenkinson goes, he will probably have the best 'banter'.

Schneiderlin is kicking off about something on twitter:

https://twitter.com/CallumKane__/status/494177841589010433

If Southampton have blocked his move to Spurs then arguably they've done him a favour. I've been to Tottenham. I know what it's like.

Wow. That's big. Something really must have happened. No idea why he'd want to go to Spurs over Arsenal anyway. One is a lateral move, the other is a big time step up.

Wow. That's big. Something really must have happened. No idea why he'd want to go to Spurs over Arsenal anyway. One is a lateral move, the other is a big time step up.

Could be an awkward first day back at the office after that... Must have been one hell of a meeting for him to blow his top like that

Could be an awkward first day back at the office after that... Must have been one hell of a meeting for him to blow his top like that

For sure. That just doesn't seem like the thing I'd expect him to do. Must be huge.

For sure. That just doesn't seem like the thing I'd expect him to do. Must be huge.

An interesting possibility is that they told him last summer they'd let him leave for the right price if he gave them another season, then went back on it. Would explain the rage

An interesting possibility is that they told him last summer they'd let him leave for the right price if he gave them another season, then went back on it. Would explain the rage

I think it's more recent. Seems he was spotted moving out of his flat in Ocean Village a few days ago and now Southampton has stopped his move, probably because of all the backlash over the other 5 starters that left.

Probably feels like he's the only one not doing something positive with his development though Spurs is a shit move with no European football. They're doing him a favor.

Probably feels like he's the only one not doing something positive with his development though Spurs is a shit move with no European football.

They're in the Europa League, you know. Saved us from that fate.

I'm not sure why Poccetino really wants him for Spurs - he's probably an upgrade on their midfielders, but not much of one and they're well stocked in his position. Maybe Southampton should insist on someone coming back the other way?

They're in the Europa League, you know. Saved us from that fate.

I'm not sure why Poccetino really wants him for Spurs - he's probably an upgrade on their midfielders, but not much of one and they're well stocked in his position. Maybe Southampton should insist on someone coming back the other way?

Ahh, didn't realize that. Thought Everton was but forgot Tottenham made it too. Lucky United.

Aw, and they were so close to cracking the 100 mil quid mark. Must surely have been some promise they went back on to bring on a statement like that.

Not sure I'd call Spurs a lateral move though, who knows how well Pochettino'll fare there, almost certainly better than the Saints and clearly Morgan has a lot of faith in him anyway.

Van Gaal really isn't afraid to experiment with players in different positions, is he?

Zaha has promise, potentially, as a striker - he caused a bit of trouble when he got it close to the box and ran on in, since he's so tough to tackle, though his final product is still pretty ropey- but Nani probably hasn't and will likely be off out the club soon enough if this tour is any indication.

Young has no promise as a wing-back whatsoever but confusingly Van Gaal seems to like him.

Tyler Blackett has been the most impressive player on the tour so far, from what I've seen. Would be surprised not to see him in the Prem at some stage this season.

Last good west ham striker was demba ba.

Big Sam couldn't manage a solid bowel movement these days much less a competitive premiership team. We got his final gasps of life at Newcastle some years ago.

His obsession with ripping down the sides and crossing the ball towards the head of any attacker taller than a garden gnome again and again despite its futility is hard to take seriously.

The middle of the park is fair game too. The other team is not the only one allowed to attack there.

Not all teams can be blessed with the tactical genius of Alan Pardew! As he is seemingly unsackable and too dim to quit we get him for another five years!

I haven't seen Demel play, so I can't comment on if Jenks deserves to start in front of him or not. It's also fairly early to be saying he will never cut it with us, he's looked excellent at times ( Bayern away ) and suspect at others. Just like many other young defenders. The fact of the matter is that he's done an alright job for us when given a run of games and a poorer one when he's asked to come in for 1 or 2 games. Perhaps he would have been better off going to Hull, or somewhere he was certain to play in the first team.

Edit: Though I think it's fair to say that wherever Jenkinson goes, he will probably have the best 'banter'.

The thing is, Jenkinson is 22 years old and this is his third season in the Premiership which means some of those kinks should be out of his system by now.

I'm really interested to see how he does on loan after he comes back with full season under his belt, but I don't think his future at Arsenal is looking good when they lose their starting right back and send their second-string on loan.

Another way to pressure the club into selling him.

Archived