Stannis Baratheon vs Ned Stark

Nihlus

You know, if only Robert had thought of arranging a staring-contest between Ned and Stannis, he could have solved the realms monetary problem in a heartbeat. How? Place a lump of coal between the two of them, and voila! diamonds.

For all we know, Ned was being soundly thrashed until Howland Reed saved him.

For all we know, Ned killed two of the Kingsguard's member with one strike, and was saved from Dayne when Howland Reed thew a piece of dirt into Dayne's eyes. Stop making up facts.

There's no problem with length and width. Length, that's reach over your opponent. Width is better for opening mail (and human flesh). And if they get too close you half-sword or pommel strike as I mentioned. If they're really close you grapple and pull your dagger.

Length is the two metre arc around Ned every time he uses it: good luck fighting alongside anyone else.

A sword like that would be ridiculously easy to parry with a longsword, and it is too wide to properly stab. And how is he grappling and using his dagger? He needs two hands to wield Ice!

Ned in the book:

-Has a magically light two handed sword, contrary to popular belief two handed swords were not unwieldy, they were only a bit heavier than regular swords, but had the benefit of using both hands and gravity/momentum at times. They could also be "half-sworded" by gripping the blade and thrusting like a spear, as well as striking the pommel on helmets was a common tactic.

No "two handed sword" was taller than a grown man. Exceot maybe for the zweihänder, which wasn't used in close combat (sword vs sword).

@RooseBoltonsPetLeech

As I said, there are techniques that don't need the five foot arc. Using it half-swording and thrusting downwards like a spear or slamming the pommel into an enemies helmet. There are a lots of similar weapons that Lords and Knights use with an equally long reach like Long axes/poleaxes.

You don't use it side to side in a formation, but rather in burst with your retainers opening up gaps in the enemies' formation.

Sword to sword parrying is mostly fantasty, as swords damage quickly, rather either shields or armour took the brunt of the attack. It's wide, but not at the point, that would enter and the width comes afterwards leaving a gaping wound where you stab.

Obviously if they get that close, you drop the sword and grapple, kill them and pick it up again. Medieval combat was a messy brawl most of the time.

@JohnDoe

I agree that bit is fantastical. The VS probably helps a bit.

I'm not suggesting it's used for very close up. Rather Ned could rely on an arming sword or dagger or any of the aforementioned brawling.

But my overall point is two handed swords were used and quite effectively through out history.

No "two handed sword" was taller than a grown man. Exceot maybe for the zweihänder, which wasn't used in close combat (sword vs sword).

There were greatswords over 7 feet long that were made to allow infantry to fight cavelry. The length would allow a fighter to cut the legs out from under a horse while staying out of the range of the rider. They weren't made for use in hand to hand combat.

I don't know who would win between Ned and Stannis. I'd be more interested in a stare down contest. We know Ned intimidated Jaime with those cold grey eyes. What about Stannis?

Now this is something I can entirely agree with. I hear the teeth grinding in pressing silence, motionless grey eyes weighing this man who dared thread upon the North...

For all we know, Ned killed two of the Kingsguard's member with one strike, and was saved from Dayne when Howland Reed thew a piece of dirt into Dayne's eyes. Stop making up facts.

What? No, you just made that up. That's not a fact. That's not even canon.

These are the confirmed facts about the TOK showdown:

7 vs 3 ----------> ends up as a 2 vs 1, Ned and HR vs Arthur Dayne. HR ends up saving Ned from getting killed.

The end. This is what we know. Nothing more, nothing else.

I'm not making up facts, I'm saying that we don't know how Ned performed at the TOJ, so we can't use that as evidence of Ned's skill at arms.

• 6 months later...

There have been claymores in excess of 7 feet, though on average they were about 4-5.

I think most historians agree than anything ≥6.5 foot was never meant to go anywhere near a battlefield, which means that Ice is still a perfectly plausible weapon to use when on foot.

According to Wikipedia (which is generally pretty good on matters of HEMA) the maximum length of a Zweihänder was 180cm. There might have been a few cases of tall people carrying weapons slightly larger than this, but most such descriptions are so implausible that they defy belief.

Threads like these draw a morbid interest in me. Ned is credited with taking the dangerous route, but all we have except for the TOJ where he neither impressed nor disgraced himself is that Ned once hit a guy on the head from his horse, and he maybe fought in this battle or that battle, which is exactly the same as Stannis maybe using Lightbring in combat on the Blackwater and hitting a Wildling or two in his cavalry charge (I imagine he was fighting in that one, since the number discrepancy might make it essential) but neither seem afraid of the fight when necessary, Ned "takes the dangerous route" and doesn't flinch from the fights he has had to have had and Stannis is currently pretty brazenly talking about needing to stand with his men in another battle where the numbers involved might mean his physically taking part is a necessity. As others have said, we have evidence of Ned actually fighting, whereas Stannis is big, in great shape pre-shadowbaby and described as very martial in the deleted peach scene by GRRM.

Coin flip for me, what day is it? Sunday? Okay, today is a Ned day, tomorrow is a Stannis day.

I've always thought Ned was completely underrated as a warrior on this site. I don't really know why. He f*cking slew Arthur Dayne for God's sake. I don't care what the numbers were.

Got beaten pretty handily by Bronze Yohn in the training yard, though, so much so that Lord Royce turned around and whooped Ser Rodrik as well. Now, we know Royce is good, but no one pretends he's Arthur Dayne.

We've got little evidence of Eddard, to be sure, but the one occasion we know of that he's asked to stand up and take somebody on he gets beaten pretty handily. I suppose you could say the same of Stannis, various comments hint that he got beaten by Robert in the training yard, but who wouldn't? And if there is one thing little brothers do, its work extra hard to get better than big brother.

Lets be honest, though, the only way these two are meeting on the field as enemies is if one's forces has just defeated the others and the victor is deciding what to do with the prisoners.

Archived