September 2014 - Reading Thread

RedEyedGhost

Skin Game by Jim Butcher was just your usual Harry Dresden tale. Lots of action (yawn, at this point everything feels repetitive), lots of moments where you wonder why the hell you're still reading this. It wasn't bad, it was just... getting old, you know? Every series needs to end someplace.

I also read The Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman. I guess I could classify it as historical fiction.The whole story is told through the lives and stories of 4 different women who end up at Masada together until the bitter end. There were some weak points and maybe way too much emphasis on magical rituals, but I see the author claims these were based on her research of the time. All in all, it was an interesting read, maybe too slow at times, but hitting all the right emotional tones. I stayed up until 1.30am to finish it last night.

I've started The Habitation of the Blessed by Catherynne Valente.

Finished City of Bones yesterday at lunch, opinion...meh.

Right after finishing that I start reading Cities of Empire by Tristram Hunt, about 10 cities that were shaped by the British Empire and how the urban world is the Empire's legacy. I'm about 20% into it right now having already finished a history of Boston up until the beginning of the American Revolution and now I'm in the Bridgetown, Barbados section of the book.

Year-long reading update:

The Complete Works of William Shakespeare: Was happy to finish Antony and Cleopatra frankly because I wanted it to end. Tomorrow I'll be finishing All's Well That Ends Well, so far I don't know what to think as I have to see what happens in Act V. Starting Sunday I'll be reading Pericles, Prince of Tyre.

Started The Hour of the Dragon by Howard while bowhunting this morning. Wanted something smaller and light that is easy to carry plus easy to get into and out of. I have read a few Conan short stories by Howard and did not realize this was the only Conan novel by him.

I used to hate Anthony and cleopatra until I saw it performed, then did a complete 180 on it. Some of those plays you really have to see performed to appreciate.

I agree, I've started making a list of plays that I think seeing a performance either from the stage or via adaptation for film/TV might be in order to appreciate it better like All's Well That Ends Well which I just finished today. However some others I'll avoid no matter what and Antony and Cleopatra might be in that group.

Finished The Broken Sword by Poul Anderson. An impressive example of (not exactly) early fantasy. It's short, fast-paced, often brutal, but not slight. And Anderson is a good writer. It's interesting how he and Tolkien used the same sources and inspirations and arrived at different conclusions.

About twelve years ago I basically worshipped David Eddings. His stuff* was some of the earliest commercial fantasy I read, and maybe the very first that presented a story and setting as taken up with politics and conflicts between different cultures and factions of humans as it was with magic and battles / adventures with magical creatures. I see some stuff from his books, particularly a specific form of character interaction I'd call light cynical banter, trickling down through a lot of fantasy since. However, as others have said, I think time and the fantasy field have both moved beyond Eddings pretty noticeably. If you've read much other modern fantasy at all I'd be a little skeptical about how much The Belgariad can possibly do for you, honestly, but hey, a lot of people -- including me -- liked it a whole lot at one point, so I don't know, ... maybe go ahead and try it, keeping its age and limitations in mind, if you can get it for free from a library or something? I recall the first book, Pawn of Prophecy, being the least interesting by some distance, but it is very representative of the tone, style, and story, and if you don't like it the rest does not in any way fundamentally change.

*I should maybe say "their stuff," since apparently his wife Leigh Eddings was for all intents and purposes a co-author.

Re The Habitation of the Blessed: I loved Valente's The Habitation of the Blessed, and thought its sequel, The Folded World, was only slightly less dazzling. It might, however, be worth mentioning that this series got hit by what sounds like it might have been an early hint of the general oh-shittification that was the demise of Night Shade Books, to the tune of Valente asking for her rights to the first two back and getting released from her contract for the third and final novel, The Spindle of Necessity. As I recall when she announced this she made it pretty clear that she intended to finish the series some way some how some day, but I don't think anything's happened with that yet. The Folded World, unfortunately, does end on quite an open note, at least in a couple of its threads.

Re Afterparty: Yep, Peadar, I think the person who mentioned Afterparty was me. Glad you're enjoying it so far and I hope it continues to go well! It takes some abrupt turns some places, but they mostly worked for me as enjoyable thriller twists. I rumbled one major mystery early, but I think we're kind of supposed to. Some very interesting discussion of the issues surrounding faith and skepticism, as well, I thought.

In the middle of A. M. Dellamonica's portal fantasy Child of a Hidden Sea. Fun on a stick; very breezy and pacey but in some ways very substantial at the same time; should be getting more attention.

Just finished Last Argument of Kings.

I felt it was the strongest in the trilogy and I'm looking forward to reading the rest of Abercrombies stuff. I read TBI about a year ago, then BtaH and LAoK just now.

Also read Lonesome Dove last week and loved it.

Read Krakauer's Into Thin Air as part of an effort to read more nonfiction and wad glued to every page.

Finished the Gray Wolf Throne. A strong third book, I believe there's a fourth that I've yet to get my hands on.

I'm betting that Gryphon is Crow, after his mysterious appearance at court and the way he seems "infatuated" with Fiona. Plus he's the one who taught Han how to get to Aedion.

Next up will probably be Apple Tree Yard, which I picked up in a charity shop for a couple of quid.

I finished The Widow's House by Daniel Abraham on Friday. Wonderful book. The first in the series was a little disappointing, but each subsequent book has been better. This is quickly and quietly becoming one of my favorite fantasy series.

Right now I'm reading two Summer books - The Year of the Ladybird by Graham Joyce and Over Sea, Under Stone by Susan Cooper. After those I think I'll go with The Getaway God by Richard Kadrey.

I loved A Civil Campaign by Lois McMaster Bujold. I read the dinner party chapter twice just because was absolutely hilarious and cringe worthy at the same time. Brilliant stuff!

Up next is Rogues, the anthology edited by GRRM. After the disappointment of Dangerous Women anthology, I decided to wait and get the library e-book version instead.

Charity shops ftw. I picked uo Alastair Reynolds - House of Suns, Kim Stanleh Robinson - 2312 and Peter Brett - The Daylight War today for a grand total of 5 quid. Probably start the latter tomorrow.

I got a hardcover edition of Heartstone by C.J. Samson for 20p in another charity shop. And a first edition of the Silmarillion for £6. I bloody love charity shops. But my groaning bookshelves do not :laugh:

I loved A Civil Campaign by Lois McMaster Bujold. I read the dinner party chapter twice just because was absolutely hilarious and cringe worthy at the same time. Brilliant stuff!

That is one of my favorite passages ever. I could not stop laughing. And that's why that's my top Vorkosigan book.

Archived