September 2014 - Reading Thread

RedEyedGhost

Everyone says that the Dunnett books get easier to read after the first one but I found the opposite. The Queen's Play kicked my ass. Very good though, and she keeps me guessing at what is really going on better than anyone. But man I feel stupid rereading half chapters because I completely lost track of what is going on.

I am on a 'living gods' kick in my fantasy reading lately. Max Gladstone's series is wonderful, Two Serpents Rise was a worthy follow up to Three Parts Dead. And City of Stairs by Robert Jackson Bennett is amazing. One of my favorite reads this year by far.

I finished Man in a High Castle

Read Ice Crown by Andre Norton, been a while since I read any Andre Norton, but always loved her books, and this was good.

Then read the next two installments of the River Wild Chronicles by Robin Hobb, Dragon Haven and City of Dragons. Enjoying them, like how the story is expanding beyond the original group's survival and getting into the impact and consequences. Still need to get the last book.

Also read Firestar by Michael Flynn. I really liked it, though that may be more because I wish it was real and we were doing more and moving faster toward getting into back space, since when I was a kid we were walking on the Moon and now we can't even get there anymore. When I picked it up I didn't realize it was the first in a series an it certainly can be taken as a stand alone novel based on where it ends, but i will pick up the next books.

My next book will be the second Bobby Dollar book by Tad Williams, Happy Hour in Hell.

I am on a 'living gods' kick in my fantasy reading lately.

A suggestion: if you want to continue it, if you haven't already, pick up Felix Gilman's 'Thunderer' - one of the best and most inventive examples of such I've read.

I love the first Max Gladstone book too, planning to pick up 'Two Serpents Rise' soonish.

Read Valente's Six-Gun Snow White yesterday. It's alright, but not as good as I've come to expect from her. Probably onto Elizabeth Bear's New Amsterdam next.

The Habitation of the Blessed: I loved Valente's The Habitation of the Blessed, and thought its sequel, The Folded World, was only slightly less dazzling. It might, however, be worth mentioning that this series got hit by what sounds like it might have been an early hint of the general oh-shittification that was the demise of Night Shade Books, to the tune of Valente asking for her rights to the first two back and getting released from her contract for the third and final novel, The Spindle of Necessity. As I recall when she announced this she made it pretty clear that she intended to finish the series some way some how some day, but I don't think anything's happened with that yet. The Folded World, unfortunately, does end on quite an open note, at least in a couple of its threads.

Yeah, this is a real shame, the series is awesome. IIRC Valente was talking about a future Kickstarter funded publication about two years ago, but I haven't heard anything since.

A suggestion: if you want to continue it, if you haven't already, pick up Felix Gilman's 'Thunderer' - one of the best and most inventive examples of such I've read.

I love the first Max Gladstone book too, planning to pick up 'Two Serpents Rise' soonish.

I have read it and enjoyed it; it is a great suggestion. For reasons I can not explain though Gears of the City is the only Gilman book I have not yet read.

Read Valente's Six-Gun Snow White yesterday. It's alright, but not as good as I've come to expect from her. Probably onto Elizabeth Bear's New Amsterdam next.

What do you think Valente's best works are? I did like Six-Gun Snow White but haven't read anything else by her so was considering reading some more of her work sometime.

I have read it and enjoyed it; it is a great suggestion. For reasons I can not explain though Gears of the City is the only Gilman book I have not yet read.

I waited a really long time to read GotC too, and I was horribly upset with myself when I finally did read it. My ranking of Gilman's works may fluctuate in the middle based on my mood, but GotC is always first. I nominate it for your next book ;)

After making a bit of a slow start with The Broken Eye, I had some time last night to get into it. And once I did, I didn't stop! Until past 3 AM when I finished. I guess in some ways we never grow up, I almost felt like a high schooler again. As for the book itself, obviously I enjoyed it. I can see how the writing is not always the best and objectively perhaps it shouldn't be so engrossing, but I love this series. Can't get enough of it. Put this one down saying "Damn you, Brent Weeks, where is the next one?!" Luckily he writes quickly enough that it shouldn't be too long.

What do you think Valente's best works are? I did like Six-Gun Snow White but haven't read anything else by her so was considering reading some more of her work sometime.

I've only read three others by her so far - Deathless, Palimpsest, and The Girl Who Circumnavigated in a Ship of Her Own Making. All three are very good, and quite different from each other. Any one is probably a good place to start.

Palimpsest is probably the weirdest one and the one I'm least likely to recommend at random, being about a sexually transmitted city, but I think it's my favourite as well - I love the dreamlogic narrative and the descriptions of Palimpsest.

The Girl Who... is a kid's book (the first in a series), sorta Wizard of Oz/Alice in Wonderland-y in style but as the title indicates, explicitly in Fairyland. It's just beautiful.

Deathless is probably the most impressive on an objective level in terms of solid story and themes and all that stuff, but somehow I connected least with it emotionally. Which isn't to say someone else might find it the other way, coz it's a remarkable book nonetheless. It reminds me a bit of American Gods, except Russian and with much better prose.

I've started Wheel Of Time. About 200 pages into book 1 and vaguely enjoying it, but finding it quite derivative and know that there are about 8 million pages to go... Also know that it is relatively PG when I like my fantasy generally a lot more gritty, modern and morally grey.

I've got this pile of other books that I'm desperate to read too, which are tempting me more and more to give up on WOT and pick up one of those instead. They include:

Malazan

Darkness that Came Before

Assassin's Apprentice

IQ84

VALIS

East Of Eden

I've got this pile of other books that I'm desperate to read too, which are tempting me more and more to give up on WOT and pick up one of those instead. They include:

Malazan

Darkness that Came Before

Assassin's Apprentice

IQ84

VALIS

East Of Eden

I'm reading AA right now; it's not really what you'd call gritty or grey but nonetheless an enjoyable book with good characters and strong prose. Mind you, if you're looking for a action-heavy read, stay away: I'm more than halfway through and there hasn't been a single action scene yet. I don't mind though, it's not like nothing happens.

I plan on starting Malazan too.

The Orphan's Tales duology. It is incredible, especially the first volume. Remarkable narrative complexity (Arabian Nights style structure, but much more interwoven), gorgeous prose and it really packs a punch emotionally.

Re The Habitation of the Blessed: I loved Valente's The Habitation of the Blessed, and thought its sequel, The Folded World, was only slightly less dazzling. It might, however, be worth mentioning that this series got hit by what sounds like it might have been an early hint of the general oh-shittification that was the demise of Night Shade Books, to the tune of Valente asking for her rights to the first two back and getting released from her contract for the third and final novel, The Spindle of Necessity. As I recall when she announced this she made it pretty clear that she intended to finish the series some way some how some day, but I don't think anything's happened with that yet. The Folded World, unfortunately, does end on quite an open note, at least in a couple of its threads.

I didn't know any of that, and the thought that the story might never be finished leaves me very sad because I absolutely adored this book. I've loved most of Valente's work so far. The lyrical way she writes, the tales she tells and the way she tells them, mixing up various world mythologies and beliefs and having a dreamlike quality. I envy her imagination and enjoy trying to keep up with her writing and her stories. This book, with the interweaving stories within the main story, it wasn't always easy to read because it required your full attention, but oh, was it a treat!

The Orphan's Tales duology. It is incredible, especially the first volume. Remarkable narrative complexity (Arabian Nights style structure, but much more interwoven), gorgeous prose and it really packs a punch emotionally.

That's exactly what I wanted to recommend as well. The Orphan Tales duology were the first of her books that I read and they are still my favorite. Gorgeous prose and amazing storytelling. Strongly recommended to anyone who wants to sample Valente's writing.

I need something light and different now. I'm going to let this book sink if for a few hours, then tonight or tomorrow I'm going to start reading Kitty and the Silver Bullet by Carrie Vaughn.

I'd also suggest trying some of her short stories, several of which you can find online. My favourite being Bread We Eat in Dreams, which is one of the best short stories I've had the pleasure to read.

Six-Gun Snow-White didn't particularly impress me either. I really have to get the the The Orphan's Tales duology.

Archived