Superman and Batman: The End of Humor

Rhom

Snyder has an eye for iconic visuals...and that's about it. In fairness, that's more than a lot of other directors have but it's still not enough to carry movies on its own. I don't think any of his films that I've seen have been offensively bad or anything, they were reasonably entertaining when I saw them. But they were all pretty dumb and I have no desire to re-watch any of them.

I can't wrap my head around this statement.

Neither can I, Snyder's horrible.

If you look at the cast and crew of Man of Steel, you would think it would produce an absolutely awesome film, but a poor director at the helm is like giving great tools to a cripple.

I can't wrap my head around this statement.

Well I liked 300 for what it was. I liked Watchmen. I liked DotD. MOS was ok. Sucker Punch sucked.

He is what he is. But at least he isnt annoyingly pretentious as some other DC-related directors.

Neither can I, Snyder's horrible.

If you look at the cast and crew of Man of Steel, you would think it would produce an absolutely awesome film, but a poor director at the helm is like giving great tools to a cripple.

Thank god we live in a free society and opinions can differ...

Michael Bay is horrible from a creative POV. Uwe Boll is horrible.

Snyder directed some very iconic movies. And yes, I liked Watchmen at least as much as TDK.

People I guarantee you: this movie will reach Avatar status of hype.

Just quoting this in case it become the new: 'Mad Max is going to bomb.' :P I do hope it does well, but right now it seems to have everything against it.

MOS was rather disappointing at the box office but there are reasons for this which have nothing to do with the quality of the movie.

What reason were these?

I wasn't a big fan of MoS, but it was miles ahead of the repetitive shit that Marvel puts out.

Can't agree with you here myself, I've rewatched all the Marvel films far more than MoS. But I can see where the criticism comes from, it just isn't a problem for me yet.

At the very least, it had a distinctive style to it, which this movie will share, and something that the other superhero films lack.

The style just seems to be washed out. And I find it totally unengaging and unpleasant to look at.

I loved Watchmen as a de-mystification of the superhero genre. Sth the great Nolan didnt have the balls to do so despite all "realism", I am talking about The Dark Knight.

Anyway, maybe this movie will be shit but I will wait with my judgment. But as I mentioned earlier: I am not a comic book reader.

I did actually enjoy Watchmen, but as has been said Snyder didn't write it. He basically just copied it panel by panel. So expecting the themes to translate is the very least he could do.

That's fair enough! For me, and I'm sure I'm in the minority, I like the tone that they are going for in this film ( call it bleak/ dark/ etc,

When you do dark you really need to make the characters interesting. And I really didn't care about any of them.

Snyder's continuous elements are his visuals and slo-mo fighting style (although I can't recall slow-mo fighting in MOS?) - so that could be part of the problem?

The best fight in MoS was the Smallville fight, which didn't have any slow motion, so that wasn't an issue for me. Then the climactic fight was just two cgi ragdolls throwing each other through buildings, which was.

Can't agree with you here myself, I've rewatched all the Marvel films far more than MoS. But I can see where the criticism comes from, it just isn't a problem for me yet.

I can't seem to ever care about any of the characters in the Marvel films. I'm still waiting for a Superhero film that I have even the slightest desire to re-watch ( there haven't been any since Nolan's Batman films, though to be fair, I haven't seen Guardians of The Galaxy yet).

I wouldn't go out and say Snyder is a great or even a good director. He's been perfectly adequate so far ( I've only seen 300, MoS and Watchmen), the parts of MoS that I enjoyed give me enough hope for this film. I just don't share the visceral hatred for the man or his movies that some of the posters seem to have in this thread ( and that's okay, since movies are such a subjective experience)

Bluebear,

I think one of the main reasons was international marketing. There simply was no international hype machine for this movie. But Superman alone will always have it difficult in international markets, he is too much of an American Icon IMO.

In terms of movie quality, MoS actually got very good reviews in Germany, for a comic book movie.

Bluebear,

I think one of the main reasons was international marketing. There simply was no international hype machine for this movie. But Superman alone will always have it difficult in international markets, he is too much of an American Icon IMO.

Whilst undoubtedly very American, I don't think I buy that limiting his popularity.

Captain America is surely more American, and Cap 2 made 63% of it's box office in international markets.

Thank god we live in a free society and opinions can differ...

Michael Bay is horrible from a creative POV. Uwe Boll is horrible.

Snyder directed some very iconic movies. And yes, I liked Watchmen at least as much as TDK.

As much as I dislike Michael Bay, at least he gave us The Rock.

Whilst undoubtedly very American, I don't think I buy that limiting his popularity.

Captain America is surely more American, and Cap 2 made 63% of it's box office in international markets.

Captain America did so in the context of the MCU. As Standalone without MCU context Captain America is nothing IMO for the international market.

Of course Superman is the most iconic superhero in the world but IMO his "naive optimism" or "goodnees" is too bubblegum for European markets. We like conflicted heros more.

Yeah no, I don't buy this 'not selling to international audiences' one bit.

I said: international Marketing for the movie was mediocre. Obviously with good marketing you can sell almost any shit today.

Marketing for MoS in Germany was a joke compared to the MCU hype machine.

Snyder isn't the worst but very good?

He's made one or two decent movies, that's it.

But that isn't even the problem; for someone that's done mostly adaptations, he's really terrible at it. 300 being the exception doesn't make the others better.

Snyder isn't the worst but very good?

He's made one or two decent movies, that's it.

But that isn't even the problem; for someone that's done mostly adaptations, he's really terrible at it. 300 being the exception doesn't make the others better.

Opinions differ.

I would just like to point out that I did not come in to MoS disliking Zach Snyder at all. As a matter of fact, I have pretty much enjoyed all of his previous movies including Sucker Punch to a certain extent. He just completely twisted the character of my favorite superhero in this last movie, and it was painful to watch. It is for this basic misunderstanding of the source material he is working with that I will not support a DC movie he is helming.

Also, The idea that Nolan didn't understand Batman is fairly preposterous. Batman needed a dark and brooding theme, and his movies accomplished it. What Snyder did was see how successful that was, and trued to use it on Superman. Well, it turns out that a dark and brooding hipster Superman just isn't my cup of tea.

Archived