Superman and Batman: The End of Humor

Rhom

What's the theories on what Superman does to piss off everyone, looked like his heat vision was taken down a building? Funky kryptonite maybe? Also was that Zod in the body bag?

Yes, definitely Zod in the body bag.

Do people think the Joker will be in this film? Why? I know Batman is in Suicide Squad, but is there any reason to believe this film has the Joker?

The problem l think with the humour, is that Man of Steel had basically no humour and that gets depressing. It doesn't have to be almost a comedy like the Marvel films, but even the Dark Knight trilogy had a few jokes.

Right.

And it really doesn't even have to be humor really. Just give me moments where I want to stand up and cheer. I want to come out of the theater pumped and smiling after one of these films. Not like I sat through a film on the holocaust. It doesn't need to be and shouldn't be so fucking bleak.

The problem l think with the humour, is that Man of Steel had basically no humour and that gets depressing. It doesn't have to be almost a comedy like the Marvel films, but even the Dark Knight trilogy had a few jokes.

This.

Say what you want about the Nolan Batman movies (TDKR is one of the worst superhero movies ever), but they had the perfect tone. They were serious and earnest where it counted, and there was a nice bit of levity and humor mixed in. Especially in TDK, where Ledger's Joker made me laugh multiple times.

But Batman is a dark and brooding character and his movies should reflect that tone. That tone doesn't belong and shouldn't be forced into a Superman movie though. That should have been an interesting dichotomy between those characters the first time they met, but instead I imagine these characters would be perfectly fine swapping poetry while wearing black turtle necks and smoking clove cigarettes. They are equal partners in their brooding depression.

I'm tired of people complaining about humor in these movies. If you don't like the dark tones, don't watch. But it makes sense considering Superman practically cored Metropolis in the last movie. I like that there seem to be some actual consequences instead of just CGI buildings falling into ruin.

The problem is that a movie without any humour, even bleak gallows humour, needs to be exceptionally well-written and acted to avoid collapsing under the weight of it's own seriousness. As noted above, even the Nolan Batman movies had moments of levity and some decent black humour. Schindler's List can be completely humourless without losing anything, Batman vs Superman can't.

Oh and the Kent's are dicks.

Daddy: Let a bus of children die to protect your identity.

Mummy: Fuck this world, you don't owe them anything.

Ma Kent was hardly saying fuck this world, only that isn't his responsibility to be their savior if he doesn't want to shoulder that burden especially with him receiving hate for it.

I'm not complaining about the tone. The Nolan Batfilms are quite dark, and I enjoyed them. That being said, they were not bereft of humor. A little bit of comic relief is welcome, and sometimes necessary. Holding onto some overall edict of "no humor" is short sighted and stupid in my humble opinion.

People, now I am surer than ever...this movie will be a spectacle. Have faith. It's still almost a year till it comes out. WB know that the expectations are sky high and what's at stakes for them.

WB needs this movie to put the MCU to shame. The empire strikes back.

Affleck will pull it off. Did you see the determination in his eyes? Wow. I have quite a few question marks regarding Irons but will wait to see the final product for judgement.

Regardless of how good this movie is it will not, nor does it need to, put the MCU to shame. The two things can exist and be enjoyed simultaneously.

I know that's considered blasphemy on the Internet, where everyone needs to be the worst and most critical versions of themselves and choose ONE side and fight for it to the death, but hopefully the intelligent people can prevail and enjoy this time as being all of our childhood dreams coming true. Did we forget this at some point? When did everyone become such shitheads? All of our favorite superheroes are in movies guys, and we're allowed to like all of them. This is fucking awesome.

Regardless of how good this movie is it will not, nor does it need to, put the MCU to shame. The two things can exist and be enjoyed simultaneously.

I know that's considered blasphemy on the Internet, where everyone needs to be the worst and most critical versions of themselves and choose ONE side and fight for it to the death, but hopefully the intelligent people can prevail and enjoy this time as being all of our childhood dreams coming true. Did we forget this at some point? When did everyone become such shitheads? All of our favorite superheroes are in movies guys, and we're allowed to like all of them. This is fucking awesome.

Agreed. Despite the fact that Marvel and DC have mugged from each other over the years, they are two fairly different takes. The Avengers is not The Justice League. These characters are fairly distinct and each have a history and flavor that are their own.

Sorry for imprecise wording..."putting to shame" was meant tongue in cheek. Think of a good sports rivalry :).

Btw I am neither a Marvel nor DC comic book reader.

I'm with Mama Kent on this one, Superman doesn't owe the world not a damn thing especially one that's trying to kill him.

He killed the last of his species for them and now these assholes are turning against him. And Batman comes off as a major jerk. I continue to hope Superman kills them all.

People, now I am surer than ever...this movie will be a spectacle. Have faith. It's still almost a year till it comes out. WB know that the expectations are sky high and what's at stakes for them.

WB needs this movie to put the MCU to shame. The empire strikes back.

Affleck will pull it off. Did you see the determination in his eyes? Wow. I have quite a few question marks regarding Irons but will wait to see the final product for judgement.

:lol: Thanks, I needed a good laugh. At least humor isn't dead in this thread.

I'm with Mama Kent on this one, Superman doesn't owe the world not a damn thing especially one that's trying to kill him.

He killed the last of his species for them and now these assholes are turning against him. And Batman comes off as a major jerk. I continue to hope Superman kills them all.

Well, that escalated pretty quickly.

Edit: I actually think Affleck looks pretty good so far from what we have seen.

Affleck has something that bale didn't - the rage and anger that was driving batman. It always seemed like a kind of thing to do to prove his goodness. Affleck looks a lot more like the person wanting fairness and fighting against people who would harm not because it is the right thing, but because what they're doing is offensive to him.

I really liked it.

At the very least it's giving good motivation for batmans views, and batman using supermans incaution as fuel for his righteousness is great.

This sentence reminds me of going to church as a child, and also serves as a reminder to why I abandoned religion as an adult.

Not the world just Batman and anybody else who goes after him.

He should be able to protect himself and not hold back, I doubt Batman, Luther and others won't be holding back when fighting him.

Not the world just Batman and anybody else who goes after him.

He should be able to protect himself and not hold back, I doubt Batman, Luther and others won't be holding back when fighting him.

It would kind of put the kibosh on a Justice League movie if Supes were to kill Batman. Those two characters are cornerstones of that group. I can't really see the franchise killing off either of those two.

Archived