9th Annual Secret Santa Gifts Are Arriving All Over the World!

Lany Freelove Cassandra

LITA I feel the same.. :(

Next year I'll do my best to personalise no matter what.

The kids ADORE the bookmarks. they get so excited to decorate them. it really is very funny. I started with about 250 blank ones, gave 50 to my son's former daycare provider (and my good friend) and only have about 50 left now. I will buy some more card stock and make more during break. plus I need to do one more of the house ones :)

Here are some of the ones I did. There were a few more (lots and lots of Starks) I did get better at using paint as I did more.

Omg that just sounds like soooooooooooo much fun, I bet all the kids love you :)

Those look incredible! I particularly love the Gryffindor/Hufflepuff ones :D

Omg that just sounds like soooooooooooo much fun, I bet all the kids love you :)

Those look incredible! I particularly love the Gryffindor/Hufflepuff ones :D

Yeah, I am a very good substitute teacher. The kids tell me I even look like I am nice :D The little kids especially love me.

*makes notes of the likes* ;)

After seeing all these gifts, I feel like shit for not being able to afford more than I could. These gifts have all been awesome. I don't think the one I gave is on par at all.

Neither of you should feel that way!

The thing is, even with everyone spending about the same amount of money on gifts, the value of that money is greatly different all over the world. In some places, you can't get very much for $40, but in others, it can be a small fortune.

I am sure your giftees love/will love whatever they get! (Nym, they already said this is true!)

And I admit, I cheat and only add the value of the yarn for the homemade items, not the value of the final projects. I also am a coupon and bargain hunter queen. I plan out the things I want to get, and then spend a week or more hunting them down and getting the best prices on them. One year I was able to get someone a camera because I waited until Black Friday morning.

It is definitely not something that can be done well at the last minute though. and that is the secret to it, really.

I'm glad you liked everything :) I had great fun shopping for you, and.making the box was probably my favourite part :lol: I am also a huge Tolkein nerd :P

After I had sent your package I kept seeing more stuff I wished I had bought you, so its a good thing I posted when I did or the budget would have been well and truly blown....though ai saw some really nice Dr. Who stuff that almost made me.send a second parcel!

Milka is widely available in thia country now. Great news for me, since I love the stuff. The biscuity one is nicest.

I was worried about the t-shirts fitting. I'm glad they do!

Merry Christmas, hope.you have a great holiday :)

Oh dear!! the biscuit one!!! That's my favorite!!! If that thing was available here I'd be a XXL *insert the contrary to slim here* fit. I cannot get enough of it!!! I swear they must put a special chemical in there directed specially for my taste buds so I keep buying it!! =P

Oh dear!! the biscuit one!!! That's my favorite!!! If that thing was available here I'd be a XXL *insert the contrary to slim here* fit. I cannot get enough of it!!! I swear they must put a special chemical in there directed specially for my taste buds so I keep buying it!! =P

They sell colossal bars of milka in the duty free section of the airport...always dangerous. Whenever wr went on holiday when I was younger we would buy three huge bars (one for each of me,.my mam and my dad) to bring home with us. The idea was that they would last us a while...needless to say that was a vain hope :p

Had Heathrow airport been closer, and had I bought a bigger box*, you would have been sent one of those bars.

Also, I did check at the Post Office that I was okay to send you chocolate, since you mentioned that customs were a bit dodgy.

And finally, sorry that my clue did not help. After I wrote it I realised that of those doing SS, only Cora would definitely understand it. I tried to help out slightly with my posts here (e.g. saying I was returning to the North East, that I would be leaving London soon etc.)

*only for the monsters in customs to destroy it. :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

ETA: I was more or less on the budget, not counting the cost of packaging (wrapping paper, box, tissue, printing, snowglobe). I was fairly impressed I managed to control myself. Though as mentioned earlier, if I hadn't posted when I did I would have gone massively over-budget.

I try to buy my SS gift as soon as possible after I know who the giftee is. I'm very glad I did so this year since a $25 gift in November is now going for $60.

:o that's crazy!!

I love this thread! I love this game! I love seeing all the gifts! I love the hostess! And Im gonna love opening my gifts tonight :commie:

No one needs to worry about the value of the stuff they send. :)

The joy of getting the package is amazing! The thought really, really counts in Secret Santaland. Some of us go silly (gee, who can I be thinking of :p ) and overspend. We rationally overspend. We rationalize our overspending. :p "I had extra candy".

Not to worry....

I would like people to think about next year. If my life is still as stressful as it is now, I would like someone else host. If my life, by some miracle, is no longer stressful, I will do it again, but right now, I can't commit to another year.

Much love for all of you guys!

If by some unfortunate turn of events neither of you can host next year, I'll do it. I'll have spreadsheets and everything!

If by some freak accident you too are unable to host, I will volunteer to host in your stead.

ETA: Though by the sounds of it, such a freak accident would likely involve a forum meet up and I would not be available either.

All the gifts this year have been so amazing. Noone should feel even a little bad about what they bought.

More importantly :P it looks like I will probably get my gift today after all. The tracking** says 'on the truck for delivery today' and I'm at home waiting. Super excited!

I would like people to think about next year. If my life is still as stressful as it is now, I would like someone else host. If my life, by some miracle, is no longer stressful, I will do it again, but right now, I can't commit to another year.

Much love for all of you guys!

You really deserve to have a year (or as many as you want) off after being such an amazing host the last few!

I'll chime in that I would be delighted to host if necessary, although it looks like we already have it well covered. :)

** Since they had already tried to deliver I got the tracking number from the UPS notice. We had some issues on Monday when they said that it was the final attempt (even though it was only their second), but we managed to yell at them enough that they found the package and put it back in the system.

Before sending my backup gift I felt bad about the value of what I sent. It was a fair bit under budget, although I was always intending to send foreign chocolate in Feb to make up the value anyway.

Now I'm closer to on par for the value, without explicitly figuring out what I spent and foreign exchanging it. So the foreign sweets technically fall as a not secret santa gift (I've been outed anyway!) and therefore don't need rationalizing :p

I should have wrapped things rather than stuffing them in a post office bubble wrap bag and posting though. :(

Archived