''I dreamt [about Sansa] again, slaying a savage giant in a castle built of snow.''

Liaraeyne

The GHH’s Vision

I dreamt of a maid at a feast with purple serpents in her hair, venom dripping from their fangs. And later I dreamt that maid again, slaying a savage giant in a castle built of snow.

This is the famous vision of the GHH about Sansa. The first event was the Purple Wedding. In addition to that connection, Sansa is literally referred to as a snow maid in the text as well.

“What are you doing?”

Petyr straightened his cloak. “Kissing a snow maid.”

The fact that LF is the savage giant in the vision is not so obvious and requires more clues.

In legend, Brandon the Builder had used giants to help raise Winterfell.

“The glass was locked in frames, no? Twigs are your answer. Peel them and cross them and use bark to tie them together into frames. I’ll show you.” He moved through the garden, gathering up twigs and sticks and shaking the snow from them. When he had enough, he stepped over both walls with a single long stride and squatted on his heels in the middle of the yard. Sansa came closer to watch what he was doing. His hands were deft and sure, and before long he had a crisscrossing latticework of twigs, very like the one that roofed the glass gardens of Winterfell.

He [The Titan of Braavos] could step right over the walls of Winterfell.

The device painted on the shield was one Sansa did not know; a grey stone head with fiery eyes, upon a light green field. “My grandfather’s shield,” Petyr explained when he saw her gazing at it. “His own father was born in Braavos and came to the Vale as a sellsword in the hire of Lord Corbray, so my grandfather took the head of the Titan as his sigil when he was knighted.”

Brandon the Builder used giants to help raise Winterfell. LF, whose family sigil is the head of a Titan (a giant statue), helped Sansa in raising Winterfell from snow. Arya thought that the Titan of Braavos could easily step over the Walls of Winterfell and LF literally steps over the walls of the Winterfell they are building from snow.

This reasoning builds LF as the giant and his savagery is more obvious, considering his savage murder of Lysa.

Note how LF was gathering up sticks and shaking snow off them. I find that somewhat similar to this:

The giant’s [Wun Wun] pace was a ponderous one, despite the length and girth of those legs, and he was forever stopping to knock snow off low-hanging limbs with his maul.

Sure, castle of snow may mean Winterfell, but Winterfell is made of granite (mostly).

The wall is made of snow and ice. Maybe castle black is meant. Then it's obvious who the savage giant is: Wun Wun.

But that would just be too weird, Sansa traveling to the Wall, and then slaying Wun Wun?? Whut

The GHH’s Vision

-snip-

Finally someone analyzing in detail, not just saying the Giant is Littlefinger. I am really convinced now.

There are not many people Sansa can slay after all. littlefinger is not a fighter and so it is plausible he can be killed by a young lass with near to no fighting experience.

I struggle to see it being LF, I just don't see how he is considered a giant. I would have thought he would have been seen as a mockingbird as that is his personal sigil.

I know the argument that the sigil of house Baelish is the titans head, therefore Baelish = giant, but in the GoHH's vision she identifies everyone by their personal sigil (when they have one) rather than their house sigil. In other words Stannis is a Baratheon (stag), but she sees the burning heart (his personal sigil), Euron is a Greyjoy (kraken), but she sees the drowned crow(crow's eye, his personal sigil, not the house sigil), Baelish is a titan(sort of), but if it was him she would identify him by the mockingbird if what she says were to fit with the rest of her vision.

I realise I might be wrong, George may not have payed quite so much attention to the speech so I could be noticing a pattern that is unintentional

Also I'd add that GHH refers to Cat as a fish, her personal sigil as opposed to the direwolf of house Stark which fits the theme you laid out.

Personally I really hate the idea that the giant is Baelish, since it's very clichéd in my opinion but I can't think who else it could be

Sure, castle of snow may mean Winterfell, but Winterfell is made of granite (mostly).

The wall is made of snow and ice. Maybe castle black is meant. Then it's obvious who the savage giant is: Wun Wun.

But that would just be too weird, Sansa traveling to the Wall, and then slaying Wun Wun?? Whut

Ramsay burned winterfell and when he came back they rebuilt it for him. Castle built of Snow.

The theory to which LM refers suggests that Arya does take Sansa's face and that's what it references. The problem with that is, based on how the FM get their faces, in order for Arya to do that, Sansa would have to be dead, something I'm pretty sure LM never really explained. I also think the Ghost would have the power to tell different people apart even if they looked the same. A Faceless Man was referred to as a "man without a face," yet Arya, wearing Sansa's face in FM mode, would be referred to as Sansa herself? Doesn't make much sense.

The theory does fail if he assume that FM can only change their faces by taking the face of a dead person and Sansa does not die first. While I do believe Arya and Sansa will have a final reckoning I don't believe Arya will kill her. But I don't believe that Fm are limited in taking the faces of dead persons. They use mummer's tricks and glamors as well.And even though Arya favors the Stark look and Sansa the Tully, I douubt it would take much for a girl to take on the likeness of her sister. As far as what the woodswitch saw in the vision, the visions and portents wwe've read about in this tale are ofter metaphorical, allusory, and suggestive, rather than literal. And while the woodswitch is 100 percent to date she doesn't really tell us exactly what the visions mean. She justs relates them to us.

How is crown Baratheon stag or a fish personal sigils, not to mention that "drowned crow" is not even a sigil but metaphor for specific person, shadow with burning heart is shadowbaby, not Stannis himself. And then there is a Bran's dream from AGOT that also speaks about LF as a giant.

Firstly, I didn't recall Bran's dream at the time, my apologies.

However in the GoHH's vision I think she identifies both the means and who is behind the killing, for the most part. I know the shadow with the burning heart represents the shadowbaby, but the shadow baby itself does not have a burning heart. This points us to who is behind it, Stannis and Mel. Stannis is a baratheon and their sigil is and always will remain the stag, but at the time of the murder of Renly (the stag who was cut down) Stannis is operating under his personal banner of the burning heart and the ghost sees this (whether or not Stannis knew about what he was creating is a different debate, he still helped create the shadowbaby, so the GoHH sees his influence). She does not say "I saw an antlered assassin cut down another stag" for example, which she would if her visions always pointed just to the main house sigil, she identifies Stannis'/shadowbaby's actions by referring to his personal burning heart sigil.

The fish is not something I was arguing a case for. Catelyn never identifies herself as anything other than the plain trout of Tully or very occasionally the Direwolf of Stark. However I am willing to bet that if the GoHH were to see, for example, Brynden Tully in a vision she would identify him as a black fish, his personal sigil, not just as the generic trout of house Tully.

And lastly the crows eye is what Euron identifies himself as, its his personal title, so this is what the ghost sees. Once again she does not identify Euron by calling him a Kraken but a crow. If it is too much of a stretch that she sees a crow when he only uses his crow's eye, then it is also a stretch that she sees an entire savage giant when the Baelish's sigil is just the head of the Titan.

Also I did say that the ghost only really identifies individuals by their personal sigil's when they have one, hence Catelyn is just a trout, Renly is a stag because they do not use anything other than their house sigils

This is why I felt that if she were to see LF in a vision she would have identified him as a Mockingbird, but as I said I hadn't considered Bran's dream and I already acknowledged that I may be noticing a pattern that was unintentional and meaningless

Firstly, I didn't recall Bran's dream at the time, my apologies.

snip

And when you have Bran's dream in mind, then the idea that giant can't be LF sounds a bit different. Simply, the sigils are used as metaphors, and so is the entire line of the prophecies, including these visions. Personal coat of arms have no bearing here, since neither Stannis nor Euron are represented by the sigils that match the GHH's visions, but they are certainly metaphors for these two. Look at the direwolf scene at the beginning of the series. Basically, we know who killed Ned - it was Joffrey. Joffrey's personal coat of arms are stag and lion. And yet, only stag killed that direwolf. One would even claim that since Joffrey is a Lannister bastard, mountain lion would be a better choice. "Shadow with burning heart" and "drowned crow" are not personal sigils, they are metaphors for the two individuals. So, with Bran's dream, some other snippets yolkboy and Lady Gwyn pointed out, it would be hard not to think about LF as "giant".

The fish is not something I was arguing a case for. Catelyn never identifies herself as anything other than the plain trout of Tully or very occasionally the Direwolf of Stark.

Oh, and this is a bit wrong. Throughout the series, Catelyn has been referred as Stark as equally as Tully, and there is a sense of transformation from being Tully to being a Stark in her storyline. Tyrion even calls her a shewolf, and Walder Frey in his infamous letter talks about "two wolf pelts" (Robb and Cat). So, Catelyn is identified with Stark direwolf quite often. And, she even identifies herself as a Stark too.

The theory to which LM refers suggests that Arya does take Sansa's face and that's what it references. The problem with that is, based on how the FM get their faces, in order for Arya to do that, Sansa would have to be dead, something I'm pretty sure LM never really explained. I also think the Ghost would have the power to tell different people apart even if they looked the same. A Faceless Man was referred to as a "man without a face," yet Arya, wearing Sansa's face in FM mode, would be referred to as Sansa herself? Doesn't make much sense.

Yes, I'm aware, also GOHH looked right at Arya and said she couldn't hide from her, being a Stark fan and Sansa in particular I want no Sansa death or any more Starks.

My vote is that the giant refers to LF...the castle of snow will probably be Winterfell...especially now that Winter has arrived.

Part of GOHH's quote that keeps coming back is this quote:

"I see you. I see you, wolf child. Blood child. I thought it was the lord who smelled of death ... You are cruel to come to my hill, cruel. I gorged on grief at Summerhall, I need none of yours. Begone from here, dark heart. Begone!"

What did she mean by she gorged on grief at Summerhall? Was she there when the tragedy happened? Was she the love of Aegon or one of the others? It has to be tied in somehow...but I'm at a loss.

What did she mean by she gorged on grief at Summerhall? Was she there when the tragedy happened? Was she the love of Aegon or one of the others? It has to be tied in somehow...but I'm at a loss.

She was probably the woods witch present at Summerhall who predicted that the PTWP will be born from Aerys and Rhaella's line (mentionned by Barristan to Daenerys).

Arya sees the Titan of Braavos and thinks it could step over Winterfell walls...

He could step right over the walls of Winterfell,”

We see Baelish stepping over the castle walls, too...

he stepped over both walls with a single long stride

also...

when Littlefinger saw what she’d done he laughed. “If the tales be true, that’s not the first giant to end up with his head on Winterfell’s walls.”

LF dying at Winterfell seems like a good call to me.

YES!

My vote is that the giant refers to LF...the castle of snow will probably be Winterfell...especially now that Winter has arrived.

Part of GOHH's quote that keeps coming back is this quote:

"I see you. I see you, wolf child. Blood child. I thought it was the lord who smelled of death ... You are cruel to come to my hill, cruel. I gorged on grief at Summerhall, I need none of yours. Begone from here, dark heart. Begone!"

She was there at the Tragedy of Summerhall. Her friend, Jenny of Oldstones, married Duncan the Small and he and several others died there. Not sure if Jenny did too. But that's why she makes Tom O' Seven play "Jenny's Song" all the time.

The giant is Littlefinger. Perhaps Sweetrobin will hand Sansa the opportunity to kill LF, too.

She grabbed for his hand, but she caught the doll instead...

"A giant," the boy whispered, weeping. "It wasn't me, it was a giant hurt the castle."

I think it was the snow castle scene the GoHH saw, but there's foreshadowing, too.

I agree that it's Littlefinger due to the head of the Titan of Braavos being his father's sigil.

We do have a fairly early clue about Baelish in GoT when Ned is in the black cells hallucinating a conversation with Robert:

"Look at us, Ned. Gods, how did we come to this? You here, and me killed by a pig. We won a throne together..." "I failed you Robert...I lied to you, hid the truth. I let them kill you." "You stiff-necked fool, too proud to listen. Can you eat pride, Stark? Will honor shield your children?" Cracks ran down his face fissures opening in the flesh, and he reached up and ripped the mask away. It was not robert at all, it was Littlefinger, grinning, mocking him. when he opened his mouth to speak, his lies turned to pale grey moths and took wing.

We know from later books that he has been the mastermind behind the Wo5K, orchestrating everything from Jon Arryn's death to Joffrey's poisoning and the murder of his Lady wife Lysa. He can be covertly "savage" by pulling strings in the background or overtly doing it himself.

Finally someone analyzing in detail, not just saying the Giant is Littlefinger. I am really convinced now.

There are not many people Sansa can slay after all. littlefinger is not a fighter and so it is plausible he can be killed by a young lass with near to no fighting experience.

If you like it, there is more.

Castle Built of Snow

“You know why they call her Gatehouse Ami? She raises her portcullis for every knight who happens by.”

He [Tyrion] hopped down from the dais and grabbed Sansa roughly. “Come, wife, time to smash your portcullis. I want to play come-into-the-castle.”

“Winterfell is the seat of House Stark,” Sansa told her husband-to-be. “The great castle of the north.”

“It’s not so great.” The boy knelt before the gatehouse. “Look, here comes a giant to knock it down.” He stood his doll in the snow and moved it jerkily. “Tromp tromp I’m a giant, I’m a giant,” he chanted. “Ho ho ho, open your gates or I’ll mash them and smash them.” Swinging the doll by the legs, he knocked the top off one gatehouse tower and then the other.

It was more than Sansa could stand. “Robert, stop that.” Instead he swung the doll again, and a foot of wall exploded. She grabbed for his hand but she caught the doll instead. There was a loud ripping sound as the thin cloth tore. Suddenly she had the doll’s head, Robert had the legs and body, and the rag-and-sawdust stuffing was spilling in the snow.

Lord Robert’s mouth trembled. “You killlllllllled him,” he wailed.

The erotic metaphor surrounding the gatehouse, the portcullis and the play come-into-the-castle is self-evident.

In addition to the giant who aims for the gatehouse of Sansa’s castle built of snow, LF (the savage giant) also literally says that he wants to play come-into-the-castle.

“That will give it strength enough to stand, I’d think,” Petyr said. “May I come into your castle, my lady?”

Sansa was wary. “Don’t break it. Be . . .”

“. . . gentle?” He smiled. “Winterfell has withstood fiercer enemies than me. It is Winterfell, is it not?”

LF is not talking about the snowy Winterfell. He has Sansa’s maidenhead in his mind and these are the fiercer enemies “Winterfell” has withstood:

1. The riot in KL. Not only a gang rape like Lollys was going to happen, but her life was also in danger. Thanks to the Hound, she was saved.

2. There is this controversial scene with the Hound. I don’t think the Hound wanted to rape her though. Maegor’s Holdfast is the place where Gregor killed Aegon and raped Elia. Doing anything to Sansa would make the Hound no different than Gregor and we know that he hates the Mountain.

3. At her wedding to Tyrion, Joffrey squeezed her breast and threatened to rape her on a regular basis.

4. Her “bedding” with Tyrion can be counted as a rape attempt, though Tyrion did not want to have her like that. He decided to melt her and make her want him just like LF is trying to do.

5. Marillion.

6. LF’s disgusting gropings.

With this perspective, “the little giant” attacking “the gatehouse of Sansa’s castle” symbolizes a rape attempt by LF; but the savaging of the little giant means that Sansa will slay the giant by cutting his manhood.

Let Me Warm You

“Sweet Alayne. I am Marillion. I saw you come in from the rain. The night is chill and wet. Let me warm you.”

“I wish you could see yourself, my lady. You are so beautiful. You’re crusted over with snow like some little bear cub, but your face is flushed and you can scarcely breathe. How long have you been out here? You must be very cold. Let me warm you, Sansa. Take off those gloves, give me your hands.”

“I won’t.” He sounded almost like Marillion, the night he’d gotten so drunk at the wedding. Only this time Lothor Brune would not appear to save her; Ser Lothor was Petyr’s man. “You shouldn’t kiss me. I might have been your own daughter . . .”

“Might have been,” he admitted, with a rueful smile. “But you’re not, are you? You are Eddard Stark’s daughter, and Cat’s. But I think you might be even more beautiful than your mother was, when she was your age.”

“Petyr, please.” Her voice sounded so weak. “Please . . .”

GRRM is specifically hinting a previous rape attempt soon after LF forcefully kissed Sansa with the same sentence.

Sansa stared at his hands while he spoke. Fat Maddy claimed that Mord had taken off three of his fingers, both pinkies and a ring finger. His little fingers did appear somewhat stiffer than the others, but with those gloves it was hard to be certain. It might have been no more than a story. How would Maddy know?

Sansa noted Marillion’s little finger appearing stiffer than the others. Little finger is used as a phallic object.

“Though I do wish he had a better name than Littlefinger. How little is it, do you know?”

“His finger?” She blushed again. “I don’t... I never...”

Littlefinger’s little finger has been busy,”

So, Littlefinger’s little finger is not always his little finger.

When the Lannisters wed her to Tyrion against her will, Ser Garlan the Gallant gave her comfort, not Littlefinger. Littlefinger never lifted so much as his little finger for her.

GRRM likes his word plays. Littlefinger will lift his little finger for Sansa, to be sure.

IMO the prophecy has to do with events that have an impact on the realm, and since the PW was foreshadowed in the first part, I don't see how SR's doll was fulfillment of part 2 of it. I'm on team "LF is the savage giant" but see a slight possibility of it being Robert Strong as well.

The part I'm less sure of is which specific castle it is and whether it comes about sooner rather than later. Winterfell is the most likely choice, but if it's happening sooner than we think, there's still Snow, which is one of the castles on the way up or down from the Eyrie.

Nah, I believe this prophecy has already played out. Giant - Sweetrobin's doll with which he was destroying Sansa's snow castle. Sansa slayed the giant by breaking the doll. There is nothing more in this prophecy, imo.

All of the other items were a HUGE deal that impacted everyone in some form or fashion. Red Wedding, Balon's death, etc. Ripping the doll isn't in the same category as the other things.

Archived