Football 123: Pardew Springs Eternal

Alex.

Silva today was the best individual performance I've seen in years, possibly ever

I know you're hyperbolising some but really? He was good, like, but I'd have expected more final product from him, especially given Villa's tendency to frailty. I've seen him play better (don't ask me to name a game, though).

Aguero's movement as attacks come towards the box is a total nightmare for defenders. I dunno what it is, he's got this little sidestep shuffle or something that has him coming in at just the wrong angle for all the defenders when he makes his run.

No one is on the same level as Silva. Best player in the league

Polish - not really exaggerating. He was majestic today. He occupied the Villa defence on his own for over an hour. Struggling right now to think of a better individual City performance. I'm running out of words for how good he is tbh.

I think you need to sit down and have a nice calming cup of tea, tbh...

He was good, but if, for example, Eden Hazard brought his top form into a game going roughly the same way, he'd have had more of an impact. Silva's excellent and he beats Hazard hollow for consistency at the moment, but I think it's a stretch to say no-one's on his level, even of players who are a bit similar - let alone everyone - and I definitely think you're overrating today's performance, although I'm knackered and wasn't giving it my fullest attention.

Better by 'Pool today and deservedly beat a team on strong recent form. We're still far below potential, but looking a little better.

Lallana was great and Henderson very good. Gerrard finally came alive during his cameo as an attacking midfielder. It has to be time to remove him from the DM role and see how Can and Allen do instead (hopefully they both recover soon). Coutinho starting to improve but still far below his best. Has potential at #8 though. Defense and GK ok today. Lovren still making mistakes (but not a penalty). GJ was surprisingly good - perhaps a rest and some competition was needed. Manquillo has to cross better, Moreno needs to not stumble on the ball at the end of a great run.

Sterling must be exhausted. His first touch was poor and lots of sloppy passes, which wasted all the good things and hard running he did. I've been there before and I know how galling it is. He needs to be excused from training if Hodgson wants him to play for England.

Overall, we miss Suarez. It's so glaring. And I miss him. I miss that excitement as he writhes through defenses and does the improbable and impossible.

Really well-fought victory for City, especially from Kompany and Milner who were both immense. Silva worked hard too but to me looked half a step short of his deadly best. I felt bad for Villa in the end, especially Baker and Guzan, who were both great, but City deserved their goals. Superb strikes they both were too, giving the otherwise perfect Guzan no chance. Great game overall, especially the hard but fair spirit showed by both sides - it seemed like I could count on my fingers the number of times Chris Foy blew up and I wouldn't even need my thumbs. It flowed beautifully.

One thing I missed was why Fernando didn't start. They're easing him back from injury I'm guessing, but when he's fully fit again City should find it easier to find that extra gear. Fernandinho didn't play poorly necessarily (aside from when N'Zogbia left him for dead at one point) but Fernando just seems a cut above him and Toure appears more comfortable with Fernando covering.

After some of Messi's misses against Rayo Vallecano he wishes he was Welbeck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeJ_4YZkbx0

nice banner tonight from the newcastle fans.

cisse has saved pardew's job again. i want the team to get the point, but he just has to go.

I don't use the word genius lightly but ... that's genius.

There are probably zero arsenal fans excited about today's game, don't think I've seen our lot be this pessimistic for a while. You would be a fool not to have money on us conceding first.

Still, at least I get to enjoy a bit of the United- Everton game before.

Honestly, the way we've played against the top 4 last season, not conceding in the first 20 minutes warrants a pitch invasion.

Out of left field, we've recruited former reading manager, Brian McDermott as a scout. It's in keeping with a number of changes that have taken place at Arsenal over the past year or so.

Hibbert V Di Maria or Flamini Vs Fabregas.

Not sure which is worse, tbh.

Until Arsene gets a proper defensive mid, he should just get a bunch of Flaminis and substitute them every time they pick up a yellow card.

Pretty sure Flamini is going to get yellow early on and get neutered. He played well for us last year, but I think against top teams he doesn't have the skill to win the ball cleanly. Has to resort to dirty tactics and it makes him much less effective when he gets carded for it.

Archived