Mexal

newcastle did pretty well with the cash it got for big andy

• pappis cisse
  • demba ba
  • obertan
  • hatem ben arfa
  • santon
  • cabaye
not a bad bit of purchasing for 35 million.

Different year, different market.

Plus, be honest: how many of that list would be more than a squad player in this current Arsenal team? Cabaye, maybe?

Different year, different market.

Plus, be honest: how many of that list would be more than a squad player in this current Arsenal team? Cabaye, maybe?

both strikers would be starters considering the injury issues currently facing arsenal. hell, demba ba wanted to go to arsenal but chelsea was not about to let him go to a london rival.

santon would be a better left back than chambers. and cabaye would totally start for arsenal.

both strikers would be starters considering the injury issues

'Considering the injury issues' = they would be squad players, surely?

Neither is a serious, CL-level upgrade on Giroud/Welbeck. They might be marginally better but they're not the striker Arsenal needs.

both strikers would be starters considering the injury issues currently facing arsenal. hell, demba ba wanted to go to arsenal but chelsea was not about to let him go to a london rival.

santon would be a better left back than chambers. and cabaye would totally start for arsenal.

Those strikers wouldn't start over Welbeck or Giroud. They might add depth but that's it.

On the matter of naming rights to the Liverpool stand, I don't see why Liverpool shouldn't do it.

If Arsenal, City and Newcastle (though who has ever heard "Sports Direct Arena" used when referring to St. James' Park?) can sell naming rights to their entire stadium, why naming rights for a stand be any different.

EDIT:

If the stand in question was named after Bill Shankly or any of the other greats, than it would be bad.

As it's called "Main stand", I don't see a single problem with it.

Well one difference I would posit is that Anfield is a different kettle of fish to The Emirates of the Etihad as the latter are both new grounds without the historical connection to the club. Renaming the "Main Stand" might not sound like such a big deal but I would imagine those who have stood in it for a few decades might have a large part of their identity tied to it and be pretty upset about a change to, to use the example given, the Pukka Pies stand. It might sound a bit stupid but I wouldn't imagine the words "Main Stand" mean "a stand which hasn't got a name" to the people in it, I'd imagine they mean something more along the lines of "the place I go every other weekend with my family and friends, as I have done for many years". If they change it to something stupid in the name of money then I wouldn't be surprised to see disgruntlement at that.

It also invites some laughter from other fans - for instance I remember going to Fratton Park for an away game against Portsmouth back in the day and having a good old laugh at the stand opposite being sponsored by Beanie Babies as the club was sponsored by TY at the time.

Regarding the Sports Direct Arena, that is down to the involvement of Mike Ashley who's a bit of an outlier and I'm not convinced that he's a good example to use for the pupose of saying "Well if he's done something it must be alright...". Regarding calling St. James's Park the Sports Direct Arena, I only ever do that when talking to Chef or BFC to be honest.

Well one difference I would posit is that Anfield is a different kettle of fish to The Emirates of the Etihad as the latter are both new grounds without the historical connection to the club.

No doubt it's different for those two grounds, but in a 10-20 years time grounds and their names will have significant historical connection to the club.

Renaming the "Main Stand" might not sound like such a big deal but I would imagine those who have stood in it for a few decades might have a large part of their identity tied to it and be pretty upset about a change to, to use the example given, the Pukka Pies stand. It might sound a bit stupid but I wouldn't imagine the words "Main Stand" mean "a stand which hasn't got a name" to the people in it, I'd imagine they mean something more along the lines of "the place I go every other weekend with my family and friends, as I have done for many years". If they change it to something stupid in the name of money then I wouldn't be surprised to see disgruntlement at that.

It also invites some laughter from other fans - for instance I remember going to Fratton Park for an away game against Portsmouth back in the day and having a good old laugh at the stand opposite being sponsored by Beanie Babies as the club was sponsored by TY at the time.

And what's stopping fans from still calling it "Main stand" if they so desire?

The only change is the sign on the side of the stadium and the writing on their tickets.

As I said, St. James' Park is still St. James' Park, no matter what Ashley decided to rename it for money.

There are other examples of that - Westfalen is and always will be Westfalen and the official name of Signal Iduna Park can bugger off.

As for inviting laughter from other fans, that will soon change as more and more clubs start doing the same.

You can hardly laugh at other club/fans for having a "Beanie Babies stand" when one of the stands in your stadium is named after "Kellog's Crispies" or whatnot.

No doubt it's different for those two grounds, but in a 10-20 years time grounds and their names will have significant historical connection to the club.

And what's stopping fans from still calling it "Main stand" if they so desire?

The only change is the sign on the side of the stadium and the writing on their tickets.

As I said, St. James' Park is still St. James' Park, no matter what Ashley decided to rename it for money.

There are other examples of that - Westfalen is and always will be Westfalen and the official name of Signal Iduna Park can bugger off.

As for inviting laughter from other fans, that will soon change as more and more clubs start doing the same.

You can hardly laugh at other club/fans for having a "Beanie Babies stand" when one of the stands in your stadium is named after "Kellog's Crispies" or whatnot.

Fans can call it what they want of course, but it's not the same. Knowing that your club owners have sold a(nother?) part of your identity in order to pay bigger wages hurts. Calling the Sports Direct Arena its old name doesn't get rid of the Sports Direct signs plastered all over it. When the Kop is inevitably sold at a later date and renamed the Monsanto Stand it won't really matter if fans still want to call it the Kop. Damage is done. Plus of course generations of fans which grow up afterwards having just a little bit less connection to the club and its history, turning the game slightly more into a corporate affair that you watch on telly than it already is.

I wonder how it feels to support a little club that has to sell stadium naming rights to make ends meet.

*Waits for inevitable Woodward cashgrab and the future Ronald McDonald stand*

lol. Probably no different from one which has to have a Chevrolet logo the size of the sun on the front of their shirts in order to fund debt repayments for Floridian tycoons tbh

When the Kop is inevitably sold at a later date and renamed the Monsanto Stand it won't really matter if fans still want to call it the Kop.

Wow, that escalated quickly.

We're talking about Liverpool MAY be selling the naming rights for their Main stand and you went straight to "they'll be renaming the Kop".

Plus, as I said, it's not as if they're renaming the stand named after some of Liverpool historic greats.

Granted, the Kop is not a person but it does have huge historic significance for both club and fans and renaming it would definitely not be the same as renaming Main stand.

Archived